New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Why does Apple logo get censored on TV?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simonvee

simonvee is an unknown at this point

You may all have noticed this but quite frequently, when someone on TV (e.g. movie, documentary, TV show) uses a Mac, the Apple logo is disguised as something else or is blocked completely. What is the reason for this? I don't see a Mercedes emblem get covered up in a movie.

The only reason I can think of is portraying a negative image of the brand. Although, in all those broadcasts, I did not perceive any negativity towards the brand. Instead, I see more of a compliment towards Apple.

On second thought, every band may have it's terms and conditions. Namely, the use of their logo. Therefore, whether there exist a negative or positive image, it is not allowed, unless authorized from Apple.

Did I answer my own question or is it merely speculation?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It's all about product copyright and licensing. This is not specific to Apple either - it happens with all brands.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

I have noticed I have not yet seen electronic consumer products such as Apple, Samsung or Sony in films.

Then again, doesn't this copyright/licensing principle apply to other things such as car makes in films?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvee View Post
Then again, doesn't this copyright/licensing principle apply to other things such as car makes in films?
A brand is a brand.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I've wondered this as well. I watch home improvement shows quite a bit. On one low budget show, the designer is using a MacBook with visible logo, on another, the logo is covered by a circular silver sticker. Neither show lists Apple in the credits. I doubt Apple would pay either show to advertise nor would they waste much time suing them. My guesses are:

-the covered logo show is being cautious about getting sued
-the covered logo show is implying "You want logo airtime, pay us."

I'd favor option number two if I had to choose.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Yesss....that's a valid point. Apple is the 2nd most profitable company in the world.

On third thought. There are movies out there which cover the Apple logo. Popular movies. Why doesn't the producer just go to Apple and ask for endorsement? It could have easily been done. Anyhow, the end result is the film censoring the Apple logo.

Last edited by simonvee; 06-16-2014 at 12:16 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

No brand is going to sue a show/movie for showcasing their products. That's free advertising, thus people go out of their way to hide the brand. When you see things prominently showcased in the same shows, that's usually product placement..

Focusing in on the emblem of a car, zooming in on the use of a particular feature of a tablet, the Coca Cola glasses prominently shown on a show like American Idol..these are all places where said companies have paid to have their brand prominently advertised. Additionally, you'll also see commercials from these companies during that show as well..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I've also seen the opposite extreme, where not only is a product featured visually, the product name is mentioned in the dialog.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Yesss....that's a valid point. Apple is the 2nd most profitable company in the world.
You're a few positions off.

Quote:
On third thought. There are movies out there which cover the Apple logo. Popular movies. Why doesn't the producer just go to Apple and ask for endorsement? It could have easily been done. Anyhow, the end result is the film censoring the Apple logo.
For reasons of integrity? There's something to be said about having people focus on the art form and not the commercial influence.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Yeh, you're right. The website that I referred to wasnt accurate

Last edited by simonvee; 06-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
For reasons of integrity? There's something to be said about having people focus on the art form and not the commercial influence.
Totally agree, I think it cheapens a brand/product when it is blatantly advertised as part of the show. But at the same time with most of us DVR'ing shows and happily skipping over the commercials, this sort of in-show advertising is inevitable..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
sullij

sullij is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: new mac mini; old mac mini; new macbook air; ipad;iphone

the vendor ( Apple ) may have declined to provide a payment for product placement. Notice on Elementery how Microsoft Surface is used and Microsoft is also a advertiser on the show. Often you'll see the same issue with automobiles.

In other cases, Apple may have said we don't want to be associated with the production. (the bad guy is using an apple product to hack into the NSA, for example.)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I have noticed I have not yet seen electronic consumer products such as Apple...
Either you haven't been watching the "right" things…or you're falling asleep during the "Apple" moments. Here are some example's:

The 14 Most Remarkable Apple Product Placements - The Awl
DailyTech - Apple Gets Free Product Placement in TV Shows, Movies
Apple Product Placements In TV And Movies - Business Insider
Apple, the Other Cult in Hollywood - Businessweek
Apple Product Placement: They
Apple products appeared in 30% of all top movies in 2010

In the 2nd link…the article mentions that "Apple devices have made 891 appearances in TV shows in 2011, which is an increase from 613 appearances in 2009."

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Ronaldinosa

Ronaldinosa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3

I noticed this first when Ashton Kutcher joined Two and a Half Men , all the Apple logos on his computers were blanked off , although it was obvious what he was using . As stated before this didn't stop the same program from advertising Mercedes , Porsche etc . Wonder where the line is drawn?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinosa View Post
Wonder where the line is drawn?
Two things:

- Money
Where is the "line drawn"…it's called MONEY! These spots are called "product placements". Companies PAY to have their products featured in TV shows, movies, etc.

Companies are also contacted by the producers of TV shows/movies if it's ok to show the company logos/products. If companies say "yes" then the logo is visible. If the company says "no"…then the logo is "fuzzed or blurred" out.

It's also about legality. If a show/movie display's a company logo without permission…then that company (some companies) can or will sue for illegal use of their logo.

Companies have images/reputations they like to cultivate/maintain. If company logos/products appear in entertainment (TV/movies) that don't portray their products/logos in the way they wish…they feel that the companies image/products can be harmed.

So it really comes down to:

- company says YES = logo visible
- company says NO = logo blurred/fuzzed/covered up

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook speed versus iPad speed | Whatapps free for Android? Fee for IOS? »