New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Why does Apple logo get censored on TV?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ronaldinosa

Ronaldinosa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3

Point taken , but surely the company would be better placed to use someone willing to pay rather than use Apple who obviously aren't . I'm sure Alienware , HP , Samsung etc would jump at the chance .

** anyone from the above named companies willing to offer any products in gratification to the international advert i just placed for their name please get in touch via these forums **
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinosa View Post
Point taken , but surely the company would be better placed to use someone willing to pay rather than use Apple who obviously aren't . I'm sure Alienware , HP , Samsung etc would jump at the chance .
Different companies have differing strategies on how they want their products/logo's "visualized" by the public/potential customers:

- radio
- newspaper/magazine
- internet
- "big screen" entertainment (movie theaters)
- "little screen" entertainment (television
- etc.

I don't think either you or I have any "clue" if Alienware , HP , Samsung etc "would jump at the chance". Those "chances" are EXPENSIVE. And some companies don't have the budget for these sorts of things.

Companies advertising budgets get spread pretty thin over the course of a year. Spending BIG BUCKS on just 1 or two opportunities can really drain the advertising for the rest of the year. Advertising is about keeping your companies products and logo "fresh" in the mind of consumers throughout the year. If you spend 50% of your advertising budget in January...then you don't have much left for the rest of the year.

Of course for certain products that are very seasonal or date specific...then companies will "dump" most of their advertising budget in a short time. Such as Valentines Day, Easter, Christmas, etc.

Not many folks want to purchase swimming pools or lawnmowers in the Winter...or snow ski's or snow blowers in the Summer.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I seem to recall Abercrombie & Fitch offering to pay the Jersey Shore TV show to NOT wear their stuff. Can't imagine why though...

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Ronaldinosa

Ronaldinosa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3

Wasn't really serious about the named companies , was only posting an opinion for jollies . But thanks for taking the time to offer such an insight
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Its funny, we even have a Thread in the Forums, something like "Where have you seen a Apple Mac Computer" but its long dead. . . .

I see it all the time, on the BIG shows. The not so '$ thrown into them shows' usually don't worry about covering them up, but TBBT comes to mind, and Raj on The Big Bang Theory has his half covered over a old 17" MBP, I'm thinking 2008/9 circa, but since Sheldon got rid of his Alien Laptop, after Howard went all man shin on his sofa and had his Laptop covering him, he now has a rMBP but has the Red Casing on it. You can see the Logo, but its the Backlit keyboard and black border around he screen that gives it away.

Its all down to Money and you have to think, one of the characters, might have a Sponsorship Deal with another company and hence can't be seen with a competitors . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

Of course for certain products that are very seasonal or date specific...then companies will "dump" most of their advertising budget in a short time. Such as Valentines Day, Easter, Christmas, etc.
... the Super Bowl
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
No brand is going to sue a show/movie for showcasing their products. .........
This is actually not always true..

There are a few sports cars like Ferrari that I can not take photos of and sale without getting approval from and signing a legal licensing agreement with Ferrari..

That said if something happens on the set or the show gets a bad rap that showcases a popular brand without a written agree meant in some shape or form can lead to a legal lawsuit for damaging that brands image..

Which is also why I am converting my business over to a LLC, Limited Liability Corp.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

I ran this by a professor of law at the university. I don't think he has ever watched a TV show in his lifetime, but his take on it as a generic question is...

Realizing that, in the US with our somewhat asinine civil system, while you can sue a person for having dyed hair if it offends you, bringing such a lawsuit does not usually equal winning the lawsuit.

A company has no legal standing to prohibit the generic display of their logo, if the product is displayed in a normal setting. i.e., you can publish a video on YouTube on how to program While Loops in Perl, and the fact that your MacBook's glowing apple is visible in full glory does not violate copyright or trademark laws. That is like the "you have no expectation of privacy in public" type of situation where someone's camera sees you entering the adult video shop.

(I decoded this as sort of a "fair use" for cameras. And I sure hope he is right. I make lots of programming videos that I post online and I brag about my Apple in them.)

Merely showing a logo in a video is not a breach of trademark or copyright. If it were, then Hollywood could never use a camera in public. If it were a breach, then Joe's Cajun Tacos could sue because his sign was shown in two frames during the high speed car chase. And so could every other business up and down the street, from the start of the shootout until the bad guys get their comeuppance at the end of the chase.

(And in my amateur opinion, I have absolutely no doubt that there are many lawyers who would jump at the chance to bill a blockbuster movie for showing their client's sign without permission.)

Again, even inside shots that showed a stray Dr. Pepper can, a bag of Planters peanuts, or suchlike could start a chain of legal problems. For that matter, what if you take a picture of your kid's birthday party at the playground of McDonalds. Do you owe them money because the twin arches in your snapshots? How about that coke can that your child is holding? What happens when it shows up in public on Facebook?

According to the Broadcasting and Cable magazine, it is now business as usual for a production company to approach a corporation with the offer to showcase their products. For money, of course. And if they refuse, then their logo will be covered or blanked out if the item is necessary for the movie/TV video, but most often, another product from a more amenable company is used.

But, once again in the practical aspects, and harking back to our freedom to sue for anything, a deep pocket corporation can destroy a smaller company, even if the suit has no merit, and it has been thrown out by the courts multiple times. Even a state with SLAPP suit laws can sometimes only partially protect the victim.

...END of professional opinion...

So, (my opinion again) some of the product blurring may just be from legal advice from their lawyers.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Better safe than sorry (lawyer advice). Companies have "deep pockets". Lawsuits can be tied up in the courts for years & years. Big companies can afford to spend millions & millions of dollars in legal fees…but the folks/companies that they are being sued cannot afford this.

If the average TV show or movie showed every company logo they wanted (without being blurred)…the next day they might have 10, 20, or more company lawyers knocking on their door with legal papers suing them (this would be for just one TV episode or one movie).

Each of those lawsuits could cost millions of dollars…thus multiply that by 10, 20, etc. Then multiply this by the number of episodes each TV show air's. As you can see…this can add up to some BIG BIG bucks.

In business (which TV show & movies area)…it's MUCH better to be safe than sorry. The cost/risk of showing non-approved company logos…just isn't worth it.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Calling Randy B Singer, This is your Bread and Butter, Randy are you out there ??

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rayniac

rayniac is on a distinguished road

I guess one can assume that any un-blurred logos are very likely product placements. (Or somebody has not been paying attention).
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Last I read, Apple doesn't pay for product placement. Ever. I think that, in the cases where the logo is covered, the show may have a sponsor whose products overlap, so they are obligated to not show the Apple logo out of respect (and contractual obligation) to that sponsor. Samsung made demands that the athletes in the 2014 Olympics cover logos on their personal iPhones for just that reason.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

I was watching one of the major TV news channels here in the US today...and as the camera was zooming out on one of the newscasters...a MacBook Pro (with the Apple logo clearly visible) started coming into view on the newscasters desktop.

Once the zooming-out stopped...the camera person slowly panned from left to right...which suspiciously took the Apple logo out of view...but you could still see the newscaster fine.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Samsung made demands that the athletes in the 2014 Olympics cover logos on their personal iPhones for just that reason.
What a joke that was, but here in Aust they made a news reel of all the Aussie Athletes flaunting the Apple Logo near Samsung signs and was quite funny actually. Was on youtube, but can't seen to find it now. . .

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Let's not forget "Scottie" talking to a Macintosh computer in one the older Star Trek movies some years ago. And I don't know how many times I've seen MacBook Pros being used by newscasters on TV. Fox ran a special some time back where the announcer clearly was using a MacBook Pro all during the time he was narrating, and that particular show ran for an hour.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook speed versus iPad speed | Whatapps free for Android? Fee for IOS? »