Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Specs:
    Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3
    Point taken , but surely the company would be better placed to use someone willing to pay rather than use Apple who obviously aren't . I'm sure Alienware , HP , Samsung etc would jump at the chance .

** anyone from the above named companies willing to offer any products in gratification to the international advert i just placed for their name please get in touch via these forums **

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldinosa View Post
    Point taken , but surely the company would be better placed to use someone willing to pay rather than use Apple who obviously aren't . I'm sure Alienware , HP , Samsung etc would jump at the chance .
    Different companies have differing strategies on how they want their products/logo's "visualized" by the public/potential customers:

- radio
    - newspaper/magazine
    - internet
    - "big screen" entertainment (movie theaters)
    - "little screen" entertainment (television
    - etc.

I don't think either you or I have any "clue" if Alienware , HP , Samsung etc "would jump at the chance". Those "chances" are EXPENSIVE. And some companies don't have the budget for these sorts of things.

Companies advertising budgets get spread pretty thin over the course of a year. Spending BIG BUCKS on just 1 or two opportunities can really drain the advertising for the rest of the year. Advertising is about keeping your companies products and logo "fresh" in the mind of consumers throughout the year. If you spend 50% of your advertising budget in January...then you don't have much left for the rest of the year.

Of course for certain products that are very seasonal or date specific...then companies will "dump" most of their advertising budget in a short time. Such as Valentines Day, Easter, Christmas, etc.

Not many folks want to purchase swimming pools or lawnmowers in the Winter...or snow ski's or snow blowers in the Summer.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    I seem to recall Abercrombie & Fitch offering to pay the Jersey Shore TV show to NOT wear their stuff. Can't imagine why though...
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Specs:
    Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3
    Wasn't really serious about the named companies , was only posting an opinion for jollies . But thanks for taking the time to offer such an insight

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Its funny, we even have a Thread in the Forums, something like "Where have you seen a Apple Mac Computer" but its long dead. . . .

I see it all the time, on the BIG shows. The not so '$ thrown into them shows' usually don't worry about covering them up, but TBBT comes to mind, and Raj on The Big Bang Theory has his half covered over a old 17" MBP, I'm thinking 2008/9 circa, but since Sheldon got rid of his Alien Laptop, after Howard went all man shin on his sofa and had his Laptop covering him, he now has a rMBP but has the Red Casing on it. You can see the Logo, but its the Backlit keyboard and black border around he screen that gives it away.

Its all down to Money and you have to think, one of the characters, might have a Sponsorship Deal with another company and hence can't be seen with a competitors . . .
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

Of course for certain products that are very seasonal or date specific...then companies will "dump" most of their advertising budget in a short time. Such as Valentines Day, Easter, Christmas, etc.
    ... the Super Bowl

Specs:
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    No brand is going to sue a show/movie for showcasing their products. .........
    This is actually not always true..

There are a few sports cars like Ferrari that I can not take photos of and sale without getting approval from and signing a legal licensing agreement with Ferrari..

That said if something happens on the set or the show gets a bad rap that showcases a popular brand without a written agree meant in some shape or form can lead to a legal lawsuit for damaging that brands image..

Which is also why I am converting my business over to a LLC, Limited Liability Corp.

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Specs:
    iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
    I ran this by a professor of law at the university. I don't think he has ever watched a TV show in his lifetime, but his take on it as a generic question is...

Realizing that, in the US with our somewhat asinine civil system, while you can sue a person for having dyed hair if it offends you, bringing such a lawsuit does not usually equal winning the lawsuit.

A company has no legal standing to prohibit the generic display of their logo, if the product is displayed in a normal setting. i.e., you can publish a video on YouTube on how to program While Loops in Perl, and the fact that your MacBook's glowing apple is visible in full glory does not violate copyright or trademark laws. That is like the "you have no expectation of privacy in public" type of situation where someone's camera sees you entering the adult video shop.

(I decoded this as sort of a "fair use" for cameras. And I sure hope he is right. I make lots of programming videos that I post online and I brag about my Apple in them.)

Merely showing a logo in a video is not a breach of trademark or copyright. If it were, then Hollywood could never use a camera in public. If it were a breach, then Joe's Cajun Tacos could sue because his sign was shown in two frames during the high speed car chase. And so could every other business up and down the street, from the start of the shootout until the bad guys get their comeuppance at the end of the chase.

(And in my amateur opinion, I have absolutely no doubt that there are many lawyers who would jump at the chance to bill a blockbuster movie for showing their client's sign without permission.)

Again, even inside shots that showed a stray Dr. Pepper can, a bag of Planters peanuts, or suchlike could start a chain of legal problems. For that matter, what if you take a picture of your kid's birthday party at the playground of McDonalds. Do you owe them money because the twin arches in your snapshots? How about that coke can that your child is holding? What happens when it shows up in public on Facebook?

According to the Broadcasting and Cable magazine, it is now business as usual for a production company to approach a corporation with the offer to showcase their products. For money, of course. And if they refuse, then their logo will be covered or blanked out if the item is necessary for the movie/TV video, but most often, another product from a more amenable company is used.

But, once again in the practical aspects, and harking back to our freedom to sue for anything, a deep pocket corporation can destroy a smaller company, even if the suit has no merit, and it has been thrown out by the courts multiple times. Even a state with SLAPP suit laws can sometimes only partially protect the victim.

...END of professional opinion...

So, (my opinion again) some of the product blurring may just be from legal advice from their lawyers.

Specs:
    Exactly. Better safe than sorry (lawyer advice). Companies have "deep pockets". Lawsuits can be tied up in the courts for years & years. Big companies can afford to spend millions & millions of dollars in legal fees…but the folks/companies that they are being sued cannot afford this.

If the average TV show or movie showed every company logo they wanted (without being blurred)…the next day they might have 10, 20, or more company lawyers knocking on their door with legal papers suing them (this would be for just one TV episode or one movie).

Each of those lawsuits could cost millions of dollars…thus multiply that by 10, 20, etc. Then multiply this by the number of episodes each TV show air's. As you can see…this can add up to some BIG BIG bucks.

In business (which TV show & movies area)…it's MUCH better to be safe than sorry. The cost/risk of showing non-approved company logos…just isn't worth it.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Calling Randy B Singer, This is your Bread and Butter, Randy are you out there ??
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

I guess one can assume that any un-blurred logos are very likely product placements. (Or somebody has not been paying attention).

Last I read, Apple doesn't pay for product placement. Ever. I think that, in the cases where the logo is covered, the show may have a sponsor whose products overlap, so they are obligated to not show the Apple logo out of respect (and contractual obligation) to that sponsor. Samsung made demands that the athletes in the 2014 Olympics cover logos on their personal iPhones for just that reason.

Specs:
    I was watching one of the major TV news channels here in the US today...and as the camera was zooming out on one of the newscasters...a MacBook Pro (with the Apple logo clearly visible) started coming into view on the newscasters desktop.

Once the zooming-out stopped...the camera person slowly panned from left to right...which suspiciously took the Apple logo out of view...but you could still see the newscaster fine.

- Nick

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Samsung made demands that the athletes in the 2014 Olympics cover logos on their personal iPhones for just that reason.
    What a joke that was, but here in Aust they made a news reel of all the Aussie Athletes flaunting the Apple Logo near Samsung signs and was quite funny actually. Was on youtube, but can't seen to find it now. . .
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Let's not forget "Scottie" talking to a Macintosh computer in one the older Star Trek movies some years ago. And I don't know how many times I've seen MacBook Pros being used by newscasters on TV. Fox ran a special some time back where the announcer clearly was using a MacBook Pro all during the time he was narrating, and that particular show ran for an hour.

Thread Information