New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

No WWDC Speculation?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Ok folks we're really slipping here/ Mere hours from the WWDC Keynote address and no rampant speculation, wish lists, etc? What gives? We've normally started a host of threads by now.

If Tech Crunch is right about an IOS 8 announcement my iPhone 4S will likely be left in the dust. Unfortunately my wife may not think that is a good enough reason to upgrade.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You want rampant speculation? No problem. Apple's going to start selling its own brand of beef in supermarkets.

I imagine that something will happen regarding the Beats acquisition. That aside, as always, I'm more excited about OS X improvements than I am about iOS ones. Speculation from others suggests that the next iteration of OS X is going to inherit some of the iOS 7 design details which is either going to look great or absolutely terrible (I'm one of the few that likes the iOS redesign). It looks like Spotlight might be more Alfred like which is awesome. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

What I really want though is what they introduced with SL and then removed (for some reason) - the ability to see minimized windows in Mission Control. I'd also like to see hardware improvements to the MBA. I'm thinking well into the future here but I want what the MBA offers (battery life and weight) but with better guts. So, I keep wanting better internals even though I'm years away from getting a new Mac.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would like Siri on OSX.
App Store on the Apple TV.
Make Airdrop work on all.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You want rampant speculation? No problem. Apple's going to start selling its own brand of beef in supermarkets.
ROTFL. Why stop at beef, How about hot dogs as well. Shape 'em the right way and you could call them infinite loops.

I forgot about the Beats acquisition, I think you're right there will be something there, I'll be keeping an eye on the OS X revisions as well. My MacBook Pro is at the age where it might get left behind by some changes or the entire update. Not expecting that to happen but it's possible.

I'd br annoyed by that but it wouldn't be the reason I upgrade the hardware.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that joke was bad...well done.

The acquisition has been talked about by everyone except Apple and Beats (other than "it's been done") so I think many people want more information. Why Beats? What do they offer?

I want a leaner and faster OS X. Honestly, if all they did was go Snow Leopard on this next iteration (by improving upon Mavericks instead of gutting it), I'd be happy. As for Siri, something I know a lot of people want, it'd be nice if I didn't spend most of my time in a library or somewhere where talking to my computer would just look weird.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

I suppose there's plenty of speculation about OS X 10.10 (my anal-retentive friend calls it 10.1…despite there being 10.1 some thirteen or fourteen years ago) and iOS 8. I also take it that my parents iPhone 4's (yes, iPhone 4) are out of the loop with the next iOS…and perhaps my Dad's iPad 2. I have the last remaining devices to run the next two or three iOS releases - until they're replaced.

I don't even want to know about the hardware limits of the next OS X release. Chances are, of the three Macs that I own, the newest will probably run it.

Is it 10AM PDT yet?

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I haven't had a change to sit on Twitter and read through all of the rumors, so in one I'm actually totally going to be surprised by anything they announce. Another 52 mins to go and since they're live streaming it, I'll be on..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Ok...I'll throw something crazy out there. Not that I'm a fan of this...but how about a laptop with a touchscreen.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Ok...I'll throw something crazy out there. Not that I'm a fan of this...but how about a laptop with a touchscreen.

- Nick
It might happen though I personally would probably not be a fan.

Were you thinking something akin to the Surface? Double duty as an iPad/laptop? That probably would not have the horsepower I would be looking for. The next device I buy will have to do a respectable job as my primary machine.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:

- Nick
A jab at Winders or are you seriously being serious?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Were you thinking something akin to the Surface? Double duty as an iPad/laptop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
A jab at Winders or are you seriously being serious?
Well...I would really hate it if Apple did a "me too" product like the Surface. But I think that folks really would like a product that was a true "laptop replacement".

I think that Apple is heading in this direction with the rumors of a 12" "iPad Pro". But I think that the WWDC 2014 is supposed to be too early for something like this.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Well...I would really hate it if Apple did a "me too" product like the Surface. But I think that folks really would like a product that was a true "laptop replacement".

I think that Apple is heading in this direction with the rumors of a 12" "iPad Pro". But I think that the WWDC 2014 is supposed to be too early for something like this.

- Nick
I could imagine a 12" iPad…though…doesn't Apple usually release new iPads with the Fall event? Or an entirely separate event from both WWDC and the Fall events?

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:

- Nick
Wow. How did I miss the iPad Pro rumors. I could get behind something that was a true laptop replacement. I would have to be be powerful enough to be my primary machine though.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Wow. How did I miss the iPad Pro rumors. I could get behind something that was a true laptop replacement. I would have to be be powerful enough to be my primary machine though.
There have been a few articles written on it. Many have been pointing to an October/December 2014 launch date (if it actually happens).

For me...if all Apple did was increase the display size to 12+"...then this would not be a ground-breaking product (just like a larger display iPhone wouldn't be anything super exciting). For me...an iPad Pro has to be more of a laptop replacement...then just increasing the display size...and calling it "Pro"!

Heck...with this logic...an iPhone with a larger display could be called an "iPhone Pro" (what the heck would that be or mean)?? Adding a larger display doesn't necessarily make something..."Pro-fessional"!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If anyone would rather use a media player instead of Safari, the URL for the stream is:
Quote:
http://p.events-delivery.apple.com.edgesuite.net/14poiunaeporfnsvpobjuanefvpjb6a/refs/14pijbefvoihbfva6_sl_ref.mov
In QT, go to File > Open Location... and paste in that URL.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's the deal with Apple and Flash? | Why is there some junk I just can't block? »