New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

English?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to get something off my chest. I don't claim to be an English professor, but the level of English in posts is worrying. A growing number of posts are written with no attention to spelling, grammar or punctuation. For members that aren't mother tongue English that's understandable, but for native English speakers most likely armed with spelling and grammar checkers? I really don't get it.

Are these the same people that will carry our world forward tomorrow? No wonder the Asians are running rings around us.

Last edited by Checco; 05-22-2014 at 02:18 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And not to be picky but what about the ladies who use the forum ~ not all members are guys!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The one I like that you'll see over and over and over again...

Can you advice me what Mac I should get?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

Can you advice me what Mac I should get?
Don't get me started Tom...this is one that irks me to no end as well.

How about this one..."I need some advise..."

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

To grammar school go you should . . . may the parse be with you.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checco View Post
For members that aren't mother tongue English that's understandable, but for native English speakers most likely armed with spelling and grammar checkers? I really don't get it.
That's not really a properly formed question...

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I am already enjoying this thread.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And not to be picky but what about the ladies who use the forum ~ not all members are guys!
Apologies, where I'm from "guys" can loosely be used for males and females.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That's not really a properly formed question...
Well, either it is or it isn't. Not really?

The animation on the following page is brilliant!

http://gwynteatro.wordpress.com/2014...ith-intention/

Last edited by Checco; 05-22-2014 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Link
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Apologies, where I'm from "guys" can loosely be used for males and females.
In casual conversation, "guys" can be used to refer to both males and females as well, but if you're going to take a stance on the use of the English language, it is usually best to practice proper sentence structure and word use to elicit the right response..

People in glass houses......

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
In casual conversation, "guys" can be used to refer to both males and females as well, but if you're going to take a stance on the use of the English language, it is usually best to practice proper sentence structure and word use to elicit the right response..

People in glass houses......
My point was not about the use of casual language - read the original post. I did also state that I'm not an English professor and I'm sure that I do also make the odd grammatical error. I also do read my posts before submitting them, i.e. I make an effort. Can this be compared to the posts we've all seen?

One thing is certain though: trying to make a point about something that would benefit everyone is clearly a waste of time here.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Well, either it is or it isn't. Not really?
really - used for emphasizing what you are saying about a situation. Looks good to me.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Quote:
My point was not about the use of casual language - read the original post. I did also state that I'm not an English professor and I'm sure that I do also make the odd grammatical error. I also do read my posts before submitting them, i.e. I make an effort. Can this be compared to the posts we've all seen?

One thing is certain though: trying to make a point about something that would benefit everyone is clearly a waste of time here.
An English professor I am not either. I am also tri-lingual and didn't speak English as my primary language until my teens..

That being said, there is value in trying to get people to write posts in a non-IM, non-4 word way, but a quick glance at the posts show that people think we are Google and frequently post "I have a problem, help me fix it" with absolutely no information..

The proper use of English is less of an issue, the real issue (at least for a technical forum built around helping/teaching/learning about Apple products) is the lack of information in the posts..

I'm severely distressed at the rapid decline of the use of the English language around me from people who speak no other language. You'd think people would make a conscious effort to speak/write it well, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I believe the initial alphanumeric texting phase before the keyboard came to the smartphones is largely to blame for the atrocious writing as well as the educational standards in our country.

Now if you think any of us are disagreeing with your attempt to add benefit to the forum, you are mistaken. It's just that having been around long enough in these and other forums and the Internet, it's a cause that isn't won with a single post..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

IMHO Teh way I see it thats there problem. LOL ROFL FBI DOD NASA

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help booting Hiren's on USB | 5 Yrs and 7500 post later . . . . »