New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Whats your BlackMagic Disk Speed ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

What is your BlackMagic Speed ?? The reason I made up a SSD Boot Drive for my iMac, was because it was frustratingly slow (compared to my SSD MBP) so I bought a Samsung 128GB 860 Pro and made it my Boot Drive sitting in a Newer Tech Voyager Docking Station and these are my BlackMagic Speeds.

EDIT : Click on the Cog and select 5GB for this Stress test !!!

Pretty body happy now with 21secs from power button to opening a 179mb tiff file in PS CC.

1st one is the Samsung 860 Pro SSD Boot Drive and 2nd is the Drive in the iMac . . . BIG Differences !!!!

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!

Last edited by TattooedMac; 05-05-2014 at 10:19 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The first is my 2013 rMBP and the second is my 2009 27" iMac. The SSD is just ridiculous..
Attached Images
File Type: png DiskSpeedTest_rMBP.png (734.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: png DiskSpeedTest_iMac.png (733.9 KB, 45 views)

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

WOW Is that the SSD that came in the rMBP ?? And did you stress it at the 5GB Stress and not the default 1 GB ?? I should of mentioned that in the OP which I will

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Write: 261.9
Read: 419.3

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

@TM: Yup, that's the SSD that comes with the rMBP and it's set to 5GB stress by default, since I just started the app and hit START..

But yeah, the SSD is darn fast..

I want to run this test on my wife's 2012 MBA and see how it fairs..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Here's mine from a late 2013 rMBP. It is running the Apple SSD SM0256F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_07.jpg (95.6 KB, 31 views)

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Well I have to say, Apple pick the best of the best in SSD's don't they. My MBP has a OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD which to my knowledge is the top of the range 256GB cost me $400 and I only get 318 read/write or around that ballpark anyways.

My next Mac WILL be with a SSD built in.

QUOTE Thanks
SoggyCornFlakes

SoggyCornFlakes is on a distinguished road

Mid 2012 MBP, purchased as a 500GB 5400rpm, 4GB RAM, i5, and every intention of gutting it. Swapped in 16GB of OWC RAM, Data Doubler in, DVD into an enclosure, an a pair of Samsung 128GB 840 Pros running in a RAID 0 set-up. I never did do any baseline testing but the increased performance is obvious. Maybe someone with a stock unit could chime in. Boot time is 12 seconds to Safari launched and Google ready. Sometimes the wireless connection comes after Safari.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« America's Involvement in the Vietnam War: Why? | Need Mobile Optimization recommendation »