New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Back to my pc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I am going back to my commodore 64 as I find OSX, Windows and Linux all stink! Commie here I come! Where is my Epyx FastLoad cartridge? Grin
ROTFL. Can't believe you have a working one. C64 fans are almost as rabid as some of the Apple/Win fanboys.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There was a contest thread here way back which I am sure is still here where we all posted pics of our working old systems. I won the contest it was said. I have the following working systems:

Vic-20, C64, C128, Atari 400, 800, 800XL, 130XE and more Ataris, An Atari ST, Amiga, and the very first made in boca rattan Florida IBM 5151 with original monitor and keyboard.

In the end users here back then tore into me for owning so many old systems (it's a hobby of mine) so I backed away and never posted about it again. Hope the same does not happen this time.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
There was a contest thread here way back which I am sure is still here where we all posted pics of our working old systems. I won the contest it was said. I have the following working systems:

Vic-20, C64, C128, Atari 400, 800, 800XL, 130XE and more Ataris, An Atari ST, Amiga, and the very first made in boca rattan Florida IBM 5151 with original monitor and keyboard.

In the end users here back then tore into me for owning so many old systems (it's a hobby of mine) so I backed away and never posted about it again. Hope the same does not happen this time.
Why on earth would anyone give you a hard time over that you have my admiration of course I have friends that teased me last year for running OSX, XP/Win 7 PRO and Ubuntu 12.04 on 3 different machines but do to logic board failures down to just a MBP running 10.9.2.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

OOOH lookit Mr. Fancy Pants Dennis with his Ataris and IBMs!

I guess the TRS-80 Models I, III, IV and 4P aren't *good enough* for ya!

(no I don't still have them, I reluctantly parted with last of them and an SE/30 or two in 2007. I will always love those machines for helping me discover I had a talent with computers, though).
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Nice collection Dennis. I didn't go through all of those and never owned an Atari machine - started with the TI-99 instead of the Vic-20, then C64, C128 and into the x86 world with DOS 6 and Win3.1. By the early 90s, the games were coming out for DOS and Windows and gaming was really the only reason I got into computers.

Be nice to have one of those sitting around, but whether I would actually replay one of those old text based adventure games - naw, probly not. But they were pretty cool at the time.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I wish I had some of the stuff I owned at one time.

Let's see.... I started off with a Commodore 64c (that was the one where they finally ditched the breadbox case and went with something that more resembles a modern keyboard). Then later, a 128. I lusted after an Amiga 500 when those came out, but couldn't convince the parents it was time for an upgrade until the oddball Amiga 600 came out. I saved my pennies and dimes and eventually was able to retire the 13" Zenith color TV I had attached to it, in favor of that very same Commodore 1084S monitor Dennis has in his picture. I believe I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 for it... believe it or not.

When I got my first job, working as a clerk/cashier at an IGA market, I saved up and bought a used Amiga 2000HD, which was my first computer with an actual hard disk. If I remember correctly, it had a Quantum (remember them?) 50MB 3.5" disk mounted to a SCSI card, that sat in an expansion slot.

Years later, I stumbled upon someone trying to trade an Amiga 4000 that they had inherited from an uncle that passed away. They wanted something that ran Windows 95... so I quick cobbled together a PC from computer show parts and traded. I believe that machine was probably worth somewhere north of $3000 (at the time) because it had a full Video Toaster 4000 card in it - and those were still in high demand because Commodore had gone bankrupt, but the Video Toaster was still a highly sought after video editing solution.

I used that Amiga 4000 right up until 1999 or so. I even overclocked the Motorola 68040 from the original 25Mhz to 40MHz (I soldered in a new crystal oscillator, which was the only way to overclock back in the day) so that I could play Quake on it. Someone even wrote a Mac emulator (I believe it was called "Shapeshifter") and with a set of ROMs that I had harvested from a Mac at school, I was able to run OS 7 or OS 8 (as I recall).

After that, I finally relented and built a PC for myself, using an old Gateway 2000 full tower case that someone was going to throw out. Ah, those were the days...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Last edited by cwa107; 04-08-2014 at 09:28 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
ITLEW

Location: The original Newark in the UK where the Pilgrim Fathers left behind!
ITLEW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Well it is my son's actually - Power Mac G5 twin processor (2004) model

Well I do like Linux but I am old enough to know what coding is! .. and FORTRAN .. and also the RISC processors such as ARM's and the earlier RiscPCs that ran RISCOS .. Yes I still have one of these too.

My time with MACs started a long time ago but my recent PowerMac G5 left a lot to be desired as the cooling system leaked and now I can't get it to run at all properly after replacing the main board and processor .. $$$$$$ leaking away! Back to Linux and Intel processors! :-(
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLEW View Post
My time with MACs started a long time ago...
Must not have been that long ago if you are still the abbreviation "MAC's". This is a "newbie" thing!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ITLEW

Location: The original Newark in the UK where the Pilgrim Fathers left behind!
ITLEW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Well it is my son's actually - Power Mac G5 twin processor (2004) model

When I say a long time ago .. back in the 1980's with an Apple IIe ... and then in the 1990's with a Macintosh .... so I was expecting great things with a PowerMac G5 but have been very disappointed!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The PowerMac G5 has not been made for many years. Why not try an Intel Mac before you walk away?
\
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLEW View Post
.... so I was expecting great things with a PowerMac G5 but have been very disappointed!
Powermac G5's are 8-9 years old...and max OS is 10.5.8 (we are on 10.9.x now)...4 versions newer. So with almost any 8-9 year old computer (running an out-dated OS)...there will be disappointments.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dameatball

dameatball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauchoo View Post
I have had enough of Mavericks connectivity issues !!!!!!
Wasn't aware Mavericks was having connectivity issues. Ha, not sure I've heard of someone jumping ship to windows to incur less difficulties.
Anyway, thanks for sharing?
QUOTE Thanks
Nomad127

Nomad127 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am going back to my commodore 64 as I find OSX, Windows and Linux all stink! Commie here I come! Where is my Epyx FastLoad cartridge? Grin
I had a 64, and also a 128, then an Amiga. Wish I has saved them all.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I used that Amiga 4000 right up until 1999 or so. I even overclocked the Motorola 68040 from the original 25Mhz to 40MHz (I soldered in a new crystal oscillator, which was the only way to overclock back in the day) so that I could play Quake on it.
My son bought an Amiga 4000 back when they were popular. What a fantastic machine it was. I remember him telling me all the things he could do with it; stuff that wasn't even imaginable on an IBM machine. BTW, I still have my DOS copy of Quake laying around somewhere in my old software junk piles.
QUOTE Thanks
Nomad127

Nomad127 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
My son bought an Amiga 4000 back when they were popular. What a fantastic machine it was. I remember him telling me all the things he could do with it; stuff that wasn't even imaginable on an IBM machine. BTW, I still have my DOS copy of Quake laying around somewhere in my old software junk piles.
Man... you go way back. A man who knows what a DOS switch is! Feeling my age bro. Peace. :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Celebrating 25 years of the World Wide Web | *facepalm* Adobe thinks "root" is required to remove PDF plug-in »