New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

lets talk about 3d printing!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

Who all is interested in 3D printing?

I have read some mainstream articles on the topic and listened to quite a few podcasts. Mostly they just applaud how neat it will be someday when the costs come down and their use is more universal.

I know some of the assembled versions run from low around 800 or 1k and the sky is the limit from there. Apparently there are some that you 'stick build' from blue prints or from the manufacture's instructions. That would be one I get in the future maybe.

Anybody out there in m-f land have one? Or have used one (they can be found in some places local libraries)?

I think they are pretty neat, but I more than likely wont own one for a few years (unless some ppl in here can yeild stories about how easy and cheap they are.. haha).

The method of how designs are shared is pretty interesting to me. Apparently there are certain file types that are ubiquitous to all 3D printers, and AutoCad is vital to a home creator or the indutrial engineer. I guess there are some data bases (maintained by google .. maybe?) that store some pretty basic designs that anybody who has an internet connection and a printer can utilize and alter after the fact.

I dont really bring much to the discussion other than being interested, hoping there are some zealots in here that have some knowledge to drop.

thanks

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This is one piece of tech that I have a hard time justifying even if the cost coms down considerably, Maybe it's a lack of creativity on my part but I just can't think of enough important projects I would do often enough.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

At one point a lot of people probably couldn't justify buying a computer.. a machine that can become other machines

I like to think of a 3D printer as something you would have in your garage.. in a few years there will be power tools that cost as much as a 3D printer. a tool that can build other tools

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

I for one would love a 3D printer. Prices have really came down the past few years. I wouldn't need a highly complex one. But, I have other things to purchase at the moment.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Do you need to wear those weird looking glasses when you print?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would love to have one as soon as the price comes down.
I could see me making holders for phone/pad to go desk and auto.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Do you need to wear those weird looking glasses when you print?
Ha, nope. But those might be one of the cheaper things that you could purchase.
The 'platforms' the builds happen on have to be heated, and are not ALL reusable.
There is the obvious cost of the device its self and all the materials needed to construct things.
There is a lot of time devoted to just the simplest things.

There are A LOT of negatives about it.. but like i said earlier.. ppl felt that way about cars, computers, and countless other things too.. It's hard to tell where it will lead...

No 3D owners in here huh? Surprising..

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

We use one all the time at work for prototyping small parts . . . though not me personally.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Looking forward to the price coming down so I can try out some of those DEFCAD files for myself! From what I've been reading, the metal-media printers are just now becoming viable for building usable things.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Happy birthday Sys360! | Rip xp »