New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Scamware/Malware - Told my IP address is blocked for spamming!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ironchefchris

ironchefchris is on a distinguished road

While trying to join a forum I received a message stating that my IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted for spamming. I wouldn’t even know how to spam even I had a desire and reason to do so. Guessing my MacBook Pro got hacked, has malware, scamware, etc..

I was always under the impression that Macs weren’t subjected to all of these problems, but perhaps times have changed. I was directed to Norton Power Eraser but have a feeling this isn’t Mac compatible or even what I need. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It doesn't have to be your specific machine. A lot of forums, including this one, block spammers from the site by blocking either specific IP addresses or ranges of them.

Depending on how that blocking happened, you might be an innocent bystander in that block.

The public IP address you got has a particular lease time associated with it, usually in the order of days so it's hard to get a new one. But you can call your ISP and have them force a renew on your connection so that you can get a new IP address and then try to register on that forum.

If you still can't get through, they've likely blocked a range of IPs from your ISP due to one or more bad apples spamming their forums..

If you have a way to communicate with them, you can ask them to try to restrict the block to a specific IP address as opposed to range, and they might oblige if they are interested..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Macs, nor any other OS has ever been, nor ever will be free from scammers on the internet.

Choosing to install some piece of scamware which then becomes malware is another story.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman is on a distinguished road

I had exactly this problem trying to join a Labrador forum. I emailed them and they came back full of apologies that they had set their filters too fine. They sorted their problem out and I was able to join so no, you have probably not been hacked! Contact the forum admin.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AT&T is offering off-contract pricing for some who are still on-contract | newbie »