New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

iMic?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

A friend of mine has asked me if I'll record a few demo tracks for his band. I told him that I'd do it.

I know GarageBand, his band has equipment, I just need a way to record line-in audio to my Mac. Since I'm not interested in blowing enormous amounts (or even small ones) of money on a mixer, I figured the iMic would work, however, I'd like to know of people's experience with it. Is the audio quality good? Is it easy to work with? Any issues with faulty units?

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

just plug it in the back.. or side since you have a powerbook. the xlr to 3.5 mm coinverter is the hardest to get your hands on.

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

I use it with Garageband, only with either an electro acoustic or guitar via an effects unit, but the quality is fine. No background noise. As long as you can turn all inputs into the 3.5mm jack you'll be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

I have used the imic for recording records to my itunes library. Not bad, and it won't break your budget.

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDIT-XTREEM
just plug it in the back.. or side since you have a powerbook. the xlr to 3.5 mm coinverter is the hardest to get your hands on.
I've got an XLR-> 1/4" and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, so I should be good.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The iMic is okay, but I found to to be noisy when I was transferring audio from my tape deck to my iBook.

It should work fine for your needs if you're on a budget. If you want to spend a little more (~$150), you might want to look into the M-Audio MobilePre USB. This is what we use to record our podcast, and it rocks.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

I've used the iMic to record about 300 LPs and cassettes to my hard drive; I also use it for a VOIP headset. I've never had a problem with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VG Cats | Apple Logo »