New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Would You Rather?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

uncleray

uncleray is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, I read the forums allot but never posted before. Been a member for a few years.
I was wondering, as a mac user, would you rather have an older mac product or a new cheaper product?
Here is an example, an ipad 1st generation for around $179.99 or some other brand new like a nexus or asus ect.
There is a gentleman i know that owns all apple products and he said he would rather have an older apple product than these newer low end android devices.
Just curious as to what others think.
Thanks for reading.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I like how everything works with each other MBP,iPad and iPhone besides syncing and backing up.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

To me, it all depends on the products involved. Based on your example, then no, the iPad (1st gen) is too old to be comparable, unless you were comparing it to a smaller screen size.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It's all personal preference and what you plan on doing with a tablet.

I would generally agree the iPad is the best on the market (that is without considering a tablet running a full version of Windows). While I was at the door opening day for the 1st gen iPad, I'm now using the '13 Nexus 7. The wife is on her 3rd Kindle with the Fire HDX. We both have a new current gen device for the price of a single iPad mini. Taking into consideration what we do with our tablets, for us, the iPad is not worth the additional cost. I would say we're both very satisfied with our tablets.

I definitely would not recommend to any of my friends they buy a 1st gen, 5 yr old iPad vs either of those 2 current gen Android tablets. I would consider such a recommendation based solely on the name on the device to be nothing but pure fanboyism.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleray View Post
I was wondering, as a mac user, would you rather have an older mac product or a new cheaper product?
Here is an example, an ipad 1st generation for around $179.99 or some other brand new like a nexus or asus ect.
Not exactly a fair comparison. The 1st gem iPad is about 4 years old (from date of introduction)…and the other products are brand new (with all the latest bells & whistles). Plus the 1st Gen. iPad is maxed out with iOS 5…and we're now on iOS 7. So the 1st gen. iPad cannot even run the latest iOS.

Quote:
There is a gentleman i know that owns all apple products and he said he would rather have an older apple product than these newer low end android devices.
A similar analogy to the above comparison is…does someone prefer the Mac OS or Windows OS…or from a tablet perspective…the iOS of the iPad or the OS on the Nexus or ASUS?

The OS makes a big difference to folks…and the ease of operation of the device.

But I think that for this to be a more fair comparison…the iPad needs to be at least an iPad 2…since an iPad 2 can run the latest iOS…and not an iPad 1 which is semi-obsolete. And even an iPad 2 is only "partially" supported by iOS 7.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I somehow missed the part about it being an iPad 1 and in that case since i had one and it became obsolete then no I would not consider it.
But i have played with a friends iPad Air and would love to have it over my 4 not just for the speed advantage but the weight differential is very noticeable.
QUOTE Thanks
uncleray

uncleray is on a distinguished road

The reason why I did this comparison is I went to a store and seen a galaxy tab for 169.99 new and thought what apple tablet could I get for that price. Looked and could only find a used ipad 1st generation. Thought of the guy I was talking to and this question popped in my head.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The reason why I did this comparison is I went to a store and seen a galaxy tab for 169.99 new and thought what apple tablet could I get for that price. Looked and could only find a used ipad 1st generation. Thought of the guy I was talking to and this question popped in my head.
On the surface this price comparison may make logical sense…but then again…this is also the age-old "Mac vs. Windows" argument.

All one needs to do is find a used 15" MacBook Pro…then find a brand new 15" Windows laptop/notebook…and say…why should I pay XXX amount for a used 15" MacBook Pro…when I can get a brand new 15" Windows laptop for half the price. This is the exact same comparison being done here.

Apple products tend to me more expensive…and they tend to hold their value longer. How much do you think the brand new Nexus or ASUS tablet being considered will be worth in 4 years?? As you've found out...The 1st gen. iPad is still worth about $150-$175. I'm willing to bet in 4 years time…the Nexus or ASUS will be worth next to nothing!

Part of the reason for this better residual value is…it runs the Apple iOS. Some folks simply prefer the iOS over other tablet OS's.

The same reason why folks like using Apple computers…they like/prefer the Mac OS better than Windows (amongst other things). This adds value…adds residual value.

If comparisons are made…it needs to be same OS vs. same OS. When comparing different OS's (iOS vs. the Nexus/ASUS OS)…there are other things that needs to be considered.

Also remember that the iPad is the defacto "Gold Standard". This adds value as well.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As I'm heavily invested in the Apple eco-system in terms of apps and equipment, your question represents a false choice. I consider iOS to be so far superior to Android and Windows Phone that I have no interest whatsoever in starting over with another OS version.

What's more, if you think that a $200 tablet is the equivalent of a $500 tablet (any brand), you're making the same mistake many others have made, and drawers full of discarded, un-upgradable electronics awaits your mistaken attitude that price is the only criteria of value.

(this is not to say that a $200 Nexus 7 [as an example] might not be a good choice for some people, not so invested in a wider, better choice of app ecosystem as I for example, or with simpler needs than I perhaps -- just saying that price is not the best measurement of value)

Given my experience and satisfaction with iOS, I'm quite happy to pay "more" for what I believe to be very much better value overall. Your mileage may vary, takes all sorts to make a world. Not everyone drives -- or wants to drive -- a Ferrari, do they?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

A cheaper tablet is just that = cheaper. You get what you pay for.

I don't want a 1st gen iPad now, but I also don't want any of the other tablets that came out soon after that iPad. I'd take an iPad Air today over any other tablet available.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
... I'd take an iPad Air today over any other tablet available.
I'll take one also...

Are you buying?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

For what it's worth. I purchased an iPad 1 (WiFi, 64gig) via Craig's List for $99 last week. Original box, great condition (no scratches, dents, or dings)…and only 82 cycles on the battery.

Gonna be a Mother's Day gift for the mother-in-law.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone have guns? | The KickStarter Projects I'm Backing and others »