New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Progress or planned obsolescence.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

About 6 months ago my iPhone 4 downloaded iOS 7 overnight without any action on my part. Despite automatic updates being switched off I was confronted with a downloaded version ready to instal. This has also happened with my wife's iPhone 4 for subsequent updates to iOS7.
I did instal the new iOS as did my wife only to find on our next sync to iTunes that the new iOS was not compatible with our version of iTunes. So we downloaded the new version of iTunes, as you do.
At that point we were both running Mountain Lion so no problems encountered but it raises a few questions.
A recent thread I read illustrates the problems that can occur with updates.
This guy buys a new iPhone 5S because his old iPhone is broken. When he goes to sync it with his old G5 laptop guess what? I'm sure you can guess.
He doesn't really have enough RAM to run the latest OSX but he must update to instal the required version of iTunes, unfortunately this will render a number of 3rd party, paid for apps unusable.
These days iPhones and iPads are almost stand alone devices and a lot of people use them this way. So it's no wonder that Apple constantly pushes the idea of keeping all your devices up to date but what happens when the operating system exceeds your hardware ability to run it.
The simple answer is buy new hardware, either upgrade your RAM/HD or buy a new device.
I know there are ways around these problems of compatibility but many of these "work arounds" are beyond the skills of the average user (hence this forum).
It seems to me that either Apple or at least the seller should inform people of the minimum requirements of a new device eg. "Requires iTunes 11 and OSX 10.8.1"
The new security measures that were introduced with iOS 7 can also cause some problems for resellers albeit they are good measures designed to discourage theft and protect user data.
If I bought a second hand iPhone on say eBay I would much rather it came with iOS6. iOS 7 requires a fairly complex set of steps prior to resale to ensure it is removed from iCloud services an device registration, iTunes and iChat. How many people will do a search on "How to Prepare my old iPhone for Sale" and be able to follow all of the steps.
As all of these pre sale steps must now be carried out by the seller will buyers simply decide it's all too hard and buy a new one? Let me tell you it's difficult to get help from an interstate seller where their Apple ID is required to sync your purchased item to your iTunes Library because they forgot to turn off "Find my iPhone"
So, to sum up, compulsory OS updates, upgrades and new hardware required without any information from Apple prior to sale about what this might mean to users of multiple devices.
Is this progress? Yes. Is it limited to Apple? No.
Can I install an old OSX on a new device? Not unless you have the original instal disks or wish to buy them.
Is this (planned) obsolescence? Maybe.
What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I think this post doesn't belong in this forum. Maybe in the Lounge?

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
I think this post doesn't belong in this forum. Maybe in the Lounge?
Thanks Jake, are you kidding me? There is no "Lounge" in categories.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
Thanks Jake, are you kidding me? There is no "Lounge" in categories.
"Schweb's Lounge" is the "Lounge".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

You missed it, Rod: Schweb's Lounge - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
Oh, I see, go to Schwebs Lounge first then open a new discussion. I didn't know it even existed. I obviously need to explore this site a bit more.
Thanks for the pointer I'll do just that.
Is it possible to move this thread of mine to Schwebs Lounge or is it too late?
Cheers,
Rod

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Thread has been moved here to the "Lounge". Please do not double post, I removed the duplicate you posted.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deport Justin Bieber | Anyone have guns? »