Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
    Why does Comcast lie?
    3 questions
    1. Why does comcast have their customer support people lie about having fiber optic connections
    2. Why is the comcast speed test rigged?
    3. When will fiber optics become widespread? I was thinking 10 years.

Oh comcast CEO showed a "theoretical" cable connection that could hit 3GBPS (or maybe 1)

But they instruct their customer service to lie and call it fiber optics and offer a top fiber optic speed of 100 MBPS

I mean they have used the word fiber optics with me multiple times.

Even if they have fiber optic lines (which I seriously doubt) they have copper somewhere in there.

If their CEO invested in fiber optics but put copper in the line he wins dunce of the year award.

</rant>

I'm pissed off they are throttling my speeds and lying about it. Also lying about the service they offer.

They lied. The most obvious answer is comcast requires DOCSIS 3 if you have your own modem (which I do).

This specification is specifically for cable lines. So they are instructing their customer service to lie.

I'll have a conversation with myself. Because they probably have only a few fiber optic lines to protect monopolistic interests it would be an interesting lawsuit if they weren't providing the services but owned the lines.

That's the only way I can see them lying. But I seriously doubt they have any fiber optic lines.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    1) The front-line customer support folks are trained to follow a script. They are not technical. They are not lying to you, they just don't know and honestly can't tell the difference between the technology that powers the Comcast cable network or Verizon FiOS.

2) Why is this a surprise? The speed test from each company is a marketing tool. Just use an independent speed test site..

3) The cable companies have their wires run all over the country and thus could get their network going quickly. Fiber optic has to be run into each community and Verizon has been doing that a lot of places. Google even did it in some cities as well..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    Thanks

Specs:
    I think Comcast is doing the right thing by getting licensing rights to content.

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    Fear not. Comcast is announcing it will acquire Time Warner tomorrow. I'm sure the consumer will be the real winner here.

Comcast to Buy Time Warner Cable in $44.2 Billion All-Stock Deal, Says CNBC - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Comcast can announce anything they want.... but the deal still has to be approved by Uncle Sam before it's consummated.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Comcast can announce anything they want.... but the deal still has to be approved by Uncle Sam before it's consummated.
    True. Though apparently they are willing to cut loose 3 million customers to clear regulatory hurdles. Who knows?

Specs:
    zzzzzz

Specs:
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    Fear not. Comcast is announcing it will acquire Time Warner tomorrow. I'm sure the consumer will be the real winner here.

Comcast to Buy Time Warner Cable in $44.2 Billion All-Stock Deal, Says CNBC - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    O man.. LOL.. I am not sure who to feel sorrier for..

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    That leaves Cox cable.

Specs:
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    That leaves Cox cable.
    I have had pretty much every major provider in the US. Comcast, Charter, Time Warner, Cox and SBC. Cox being the one I had the least trouble with.

But now that I am in the Philippines.. I would take any of those over my current ISP (Bayan Tell)..

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
    I have had pretty much every major provider in the US. Comcast, Charter, Time Warner, Cox and SBC. Cox being the one I had the least trouble with.

But now that I am in the Philippines.. I would take any of those over my current ISP (Bayan Tell)..
    I can't complain mostly. But they cap certain things.

I'll be glad when someone makes money and creates a company that gives me faster internet and tv cheaper. That will be cool.

edit: Also heard Hilary is campaigning on free fiber optics.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Charter was bidding to take over TW before Comcast got involved and beat them out. The Charter-TW deal included selling off some franchises to Comcast to avoid anti-competitive conflicts. Now, the same thing may happen in reverse, with some franchises going to Charter.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    The merger is already facing fierce opposition from consumer groups and other cable companies. I saw an on line petition this morning to stop it. I have a feeling it may be squashed in the same way the merger and buy out of T-Mobile by AT&T was.

Also, the news this morning stated that Comcast and Time Warner had the worse customer relations of all the US cable companies. None of the US cable providers fare very well, but those two were at the bottom of the barrel.

Specs:
    I really gotta get my over the air antenna mounted back up again. We keep planning to cut off cable/satellite completely, but never end up following through. $1200 a year is too much for freaking TV.

Thread Information