New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Why does Comcast lie?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

burnedfaceless

burnedfaceless has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1

3 questions
1. Why does comcast have their customer support people lie about having fiber optic connections
2. Why is the comcast speed test rigged?
3. When will fiber optics become widespread? I was thinking 10 years.

Oh comcast CEO showed a "theoretical" cable connection that could hit 3GBPS (or maybe 1)

But they instruct their customer service to lie and call it fiber optics and offer a top fiber optic speed of 100 MBPS

I mean they have used the word fiber optics with me multiple times.

Even if they have fiber optic lines (which I seriously doubt) they have copper somewhere in there.

If their CEO invested in fiber optics but put copper in the line he wins dunce of the year award.

</rant>

I'm pissed off they are throttling my speeds and lying about it. Also lying about the service they offer.

They lied. The most obvious answer is comcast requires DOCSIS 3 if you have your own modem (which I do).

This specification is specifically for cable lines. So they are instructing their customer service to lie.

I'll have a conversation with myself. Because they probably have only a few fiber optic lines to protect monopolistic interests it would be an interesting lawsuit if they weren't providing the services but owned the lines.

That's the only way I can see them lying. But I seriously doubt they have any fiber optic lines.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

1) The front-line customer support folks are trained to follow a script. They are not technical. They are not lying to you, they just don't know and honestly can't tell the difference between the technology that powers the Comcast cable network or Verizon FiOS.

2) Why is this a surprise? The speed test from each company is a marketing tool. Just use an independent speed test site..

3) The cable companies have their wires run all over the country and thus could get their network going quickly. Fiber optic has to be run into each community and Verizon has been doing that a lot of places. Google even did it in some cities as well..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

I think Comcast is doing the right thing by getting licensing rights to content.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Fear not. Comcast is announcing it will acquire Time Warner tomorrow. I'm sure the consumer will be the real winner here.

Comcast to Buy Time Warner Cable in $44.2 Billion All-Stock Deal, Says CNBC - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Comcast can announce anything they want.... but the deal still has to be approved by Uncle Sam before it's consummated.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Comcast can announce anything they want.... but the deal still has to be approved by Uncle Sam before it's consummated.
True. Though apparently they are willing to cut loose 3 million customers to clear regulatory hurdles. Who knows?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

zzzzzz
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Fear not. Comcast is announcing it will acquire Time Warner tomorrow. I'm sure the consumer will be the real winner here.

Comcast to Buy Time Warner Cable in $44.2 Billion All-Stock Deal, Says CNBC - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
O man.. LOL.. I am not sure who to feel sorrier for..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That leaves Cox cable.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That leaves Cox cable.
I have had pretty much every major provider in the US. Comcast, Charter, Time Warner, Cox and SBC. Cox being the one I had the least trouble with.

But now that I am in the Philippines.. I would take any of those over my current ISP (Bayan Tell)..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
I have had pretty much every major provider in the US. Comcast, Charter, Time Warner, Cox and SBC. Cox being the one I had the least trouble with.

But now that I am in the Philippines.. I would take any of those over my current ISP (Bayan Tell)..
I can't complain mostly. But they cap certain things.

I'll be glad when someone makes money and creates a company that gives me faster internet and tv cheaper. That will be cool.

edit: Also heard Hilary is campaigning on free fiber optics.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Charter was bidding to take over TW before Comcast got involved and beat them out. The Charter-TW deal included selling off some franchises to Comcast to avoid anti-competitive conflicts. Now, the same thing may happen in reverse, with some franchises going to Charter.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The merger is already facing fierce opposition from consumer groups and other cable companies. I saw an on line petition this morning to stop it. I have a feeling it may be squashed in the same way the merger and buy out of T-Mobile by AT&T was.

Also, the news this morning stated that Comcast and Time Warner had the worse customer relations of all the US cable companies. None of the US cable providers fare very well, but those two were at the bottom of the barrel.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

I really gotta get my over the air antenna mounted back up again. We keep planning to cut off cable/satellite completely, but never end up following through. $1200 a year is too much for freaking TV.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thread Test, Bigger or just me? | All righty then... »