New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Why does Comcast lie?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I hear you. Last Summer I took down my Radio Shack antenna since it wasn't being used and the coax was getting worn and frazzled. I'm on Verizon FIOS which ties in TV with high speed internet but at $120.00 a month it would be nice to have an alternative. Actually a good indoor antenna here in the Dallas Fort Worth area will bring in around 30 channels and even more if you can understand Spanish. I would still wind up paying around $70 for the high speed internet even without the TV though. Also, I'm spoiled with the video on demand and music channels that come with the TV which I would lose going back to over the air TV.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Still Charlie not too bad.

Here Uncle Rupert charges $90 a month for satellite TV reception of his FoxTel network and that vis without the Movie Channels which are another $30.00. ISP's in most parts of rural Australia have to rely on the Government's telecom company, Telstra, for ports and 8mb/ps is as fast as it gets. And this comes at $40 p.m. for 10GB.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Normally, I would enjoy a good ripping on Comcast, but I'm pretty happy with them at the moment. I just upgraded to their X1 platform - and despite a few hurdles initially, it works pretty darned well now. The search feature is just outstanding - it's a real game changer when you're trying to find content.

And right now, I've got 50Mb/s down, multi-room DVR with three boxes, all of the premium channels save TMC, and of course the phone service. For $140/month, not a bad deal in my view. That goes up $10 after the first year, but at that point, I'll probably dump them for FIOS and get a similar deal. I am quite pleased that I now have the ability to pit the two against each other.

Now, with that said, I too am concerned with the market position owning TWC gives them. Of course, they don't generally compete in the same markets, so I'm not sure that the Feds have much choice in the matter.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

burnedfaceless has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Normally, I would enjoy a good ripping on Comcast, but I'm pretty happy with them at the moment. I just upgraded to their X1 platform - and despite a few hurdles initially, it works pretty darned well now. The search feature is just outstanding - it's a real game changer when you're trying to find content.

And right now, I've got 50Mb/s down, multi-room DVR with three boxes, all of the premium channels save TMC, and of course the phone service. For $140/month, not a bad deal in my view. That goes up $10 after the first year, but at that point, I'll probably dump them for FIOS and get a similar deal. I am quite pleased that I now have the ability to pit the two against each other.

Now, with that said, I too am concerned with the market position owning TWC gives them. Of course, they don't generally compete in the same markets, so I'm not sure that the Feds have much choice in the matter.
But no jokes why don't you go with fios now? I LOVE PURPLE PANSIES and would.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedfaceless View Post

But no jokes why don't you go with fios now? I LOVE PURPLE PANSIES and would.
I had FIOS previously. Long story made short, they screwed me over on a contract renewal and I dumped them. I got a considerably better deal on Comcast, so for now, they get to keep my business. But I am probably one of just a small fraction of consumers in this country that actually has a choice.

Oh, and before anyone mentions Satellite, the two really aren't comparable in my view. Satellite is great, but it does have its compromises and of course, that leaves me wanting for an ISP and landline.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

BTW, burned - I cleaned this thread up to address your concern. I trust you're at ease now, but if there's anything I missed, please PM me.

QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

Does comast throttle?
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

Quote:
BTW, burned - I cleaned this thread up to address your concern. I trust you're at ease now, but if there's anything I missed, please PM me.
Yea it's cool I was just messing around
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Does comast throttle?
Not in my area right now, but if they start that crap, it will hasten my departure for FIOS.

QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

I can't wait for FIOS
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Not in my area right now, but if they start that crap, it will hasten my departure for FIOS.
Dish brags about their DishNet internet. Well I checked it out since where I live we have Dish and it's really stinks. Very low monthly data limits and not fast either. So you would for sure need a separate ISP.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I can't wait for FIOS
FIOS is great, but they still have that crappy 2 tuner DVR. Comcast's new X1 has 4 recording tuners and a 5th that's dedicated to live TV. That's one of many cool features on the X1 and makes me hate them just a smidge less,

QUOTE Thanks
Pvee

Pvee is on a distinguished road

I am not familiar with Comcast products but around Cincinnati, Cincinnati Bell offers Fioptics

Their early implementation was Fiber to the street, then 50mbps dsl (wire) into the house where they streamed TV, phone and Internet service and you had to have a set top box for each TV..

Their newer implementation as in my area, is fiber into the house and the fiber connects to a fiber multiplexor inside my house and a coax output from that fiber Mux feeds my in house cable tv network.

They provide one DVR/ set top box which delivers the analog and the HD TV channels.

Any tv that is on the coax without a set top box gets the analog channels plus a few Qam encoded hd channels.

The fiber mux has a two wire output that ties into my Phone wires.

And the Mux has a RJ 45 output for Internet service.
I get 10mbps Ethernet, but I could have paid 10.00 more per month for 30 mbps Ethernet.

So far I am very pleased with the service.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Also, the news this morning stated that Comcast and Time Warner had the worse customer relations of all the US cable companies. None of the US cable providers fare very well, but those two were at the bottom of the barrel.
I have relatives who are Comcast customers. They can confirm the lousy customer service. I also heard on the TV that they are the two biggest cable companies in the US; Comcast with 23 million customers, and TW with 7 million. That's quite a margin to not have another competitor between them in the ranking.

I have DISH. And it costs too much. So when I get a sales pitch for Uverse in the mail, I call and tell DISH to cancel my subscription and come get the hardware. Last time, they cut $40 a month off my bill for 10 months. So in a few months, I'll do that again.

All the TV service providers are scrambling to find a new business model that is profitable. The younger generation makes use of other options to a greater degree than their old customer base does. This is just the beginning of merger mania in this market.
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

My dad recently died, so now it's just me and my mom in this house. She started thinking of ways that we could save a little money, so we even started contemplating getting the Comcast Triple Play package as opposed to what we have now, which is Dish for our TV and AT&T U-verse for our phone and Internet. However, all we ended up doing was easing back on some of our Dish programming to a lesser package (and taking off the international German package we had), so we are now saving $35 a month there. We're just going to stick with what we have for now, including Dish and U-verse.

What's interesting is that every once in a while, Comcast seems to like to come to the house and convince us to switch. The last time this happened, I had lost my patience and literally told the guy to "please leave." He told me we were paying too much and not getting enough in return.

Whatever. I don't have anything against Comcast really, but as far as I can tell, no matter who you go with, you're going to pay, and you're still going to wind up with a bunch of channels that you don't really need, as you surf around between the five or six main ones that you watch 99% of the time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thread Test, Bigger or just me? | All righty then... »