New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

is ichat really worth isight?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blokie

I've got mixed reviews while browsing the net about this and so I decided to come and ask you ppl who have helped me buy me and my gf our first mac's. Now the question is, she's going to school in australia in a couple days and so I'm thinking of buying two isights. the theory behind ichat and video conferencing seems top notch but then reading around I get mixed feelings about this. Does ichat give you top notch quality when video conferencing? And someone somewhere else (so not here) mentioned that you could use ichat for simple chatting with MSN Messenger users? I'm picking my mac up today and my gf has hers in vancouver but I would liek to figure this out so I can buy it before she leaves.

Any ideas about this? I've read from a few ppl here that there are multiple applications they use in order to do certain things (transfer files, chat, video conference etc) but not one does all of this decently, or worth 200cdn/isight?

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I use my iSight with iChat rather extensively and I love the clarity, smoothness and quality of it. I have never had a problem or complaint with it. In my opinion, if you want the best video conferencing, the iSight/iChat combo is what you need.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

iSight is a good camera. A bit pricey though, but good for the money if you use it a fair amount.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

ichat/isight combo is great. the main thing to ensure is that you both have a nice high speed connection.
yes it's a little pricey but if you need/want to do video confrencing i can't think of a better solution.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
blokie

thanks for all the replies, I went and ordered two isights for us and a couple .mac accounts but this now poses another problem that you all might be able to help. Now I'm always one that goes by the saying "practice what you preach" but I'm going to admit I haven't looked around the website for the answer to this but she's now concerned how she's going to be able to talk with her parents and/or do the video thing with them. they DON'T have a mac computer, just a pc with a webcam and mic. So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions how to combat this obstacle? I know messenger doesn't allow you to webcam/voice chat oddly considering you can on a pc. But are there any ways around this? I remember seeing somewhere that AOL IM and ichat can sync together? Is this true and/or is this the best route to take?

thanks again.

ps just got the pb this afternoon, phenomenal machine and I don't think I'm ever going to look back at the pc ever again. Thanks again to everyone who has replied making this transition stress-free and smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
Tiranis

Well, AFAIK, the aMSN [http://amsn.sourceforge.net/download.php] has webcam capabilities. I have no idea as to how well it works, but some of my friends use it with iSight and they say it's pretty good. You might want to try that...
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

.... Im still using dial-up....

Can anyone tell me what the iSight would be like on dial up?

Totally useless?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock
.... Im still using dial-up....

Can anyone tell me what the iSight would be like on dial up?

Totally useless?
Yes it would be useless. You need a broadband connection to use it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Valentine's Day with style | Mac Newbie needs help »