New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

What's your internet speed in your country?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering on what type of internet connections are you guys here?

I know internet speed depends from country to country (depending also on the type of ISP services one can get).

I am currently on a 200 Mbps connection (in Romania, yeah that's still in the European Union!) - which costs me around 9 EURO/month (12 USD). It is blazingly fast (even on torrents). It is still not even the fastest connection one can get here, as there is also an option at another ISP for 1 Gbps for around 16 USD/month).
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There's no universal speed within a country unless there's a public option. Here in Canada, you can get anything from 0.25 mbit/s (SaskTel DSL) to 350 (Rogers Fibre). It's not really fair to assume that nations have consistent speeds across all plans nor are averages helpful since access isn't uniform.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

Well there is an ”average speed per country chart” ( Net Index by Ookla - All Countries ) which kind of gives you a general idea. For instance in Romania the average is around 56 Mbps (even though only 42% of Romanians are connected to the internet). I do have to say, that we have no dial-up or DSL options either, its just all fiber/cable internet here)

And I was just wondering what connection speed you guys have ...(and what do you pay per month)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well in rural Australia 8Mbps is it.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc021 View Post
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering on what type of internet connections are you guys here?

I know internet speed depends from country to country (depending also on the type of ISP services one can get).

I am currently on a 200 Mbps connection (in Romania, yeah that's still in the European Union!) - which costs me around 9 EURO/month (12 USD). It is blazingly fast (even on torrents). It is still not even the fastest connection one can get here, as there is also an option at another ISP for 1 Gbps for around 16 USD/month).
Well are you really getting that 'maximum' speed?

I'm in Piedmont North Carolina (USA) - not sure 'what' I pay for internet, i.e. don't have the slowest or fastest plan but my cable TV (rental of DVRs included) & internet plans are combined. We use Time Warner Road Runner and internet alone for the lowest rate is $15/month (see attached pic).

For myself, my cable iMac & MBPro (on Wi-Fi) obtain speeds of 20-30 Mbps which is fast enough for our needs - the biggest demand being streaming video from Amazon, Netflix, etc.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 6.26.12 PM.png (195.0 KB, 48 views)
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I assume that since the OP found a chart with speeds in various countries, the question is largely moot since the question was regarding the speed in a given country and not one's personal internet speed. In effect, the OP answers the OPs question. In the USA we have everything from dial up to fiber.

My personal internet download speed varies up to 4.5MBPS actual speed. I have a cable internet connection. It's quick enough to stream HD video to my AppleTV (which is something I rarely do). I could go faster for more money, but I have no need at this time. My employer pays for my internet, so I figure I don't have too much to complain about.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc021 View Post
And I was just wondering what connection speed you guys have ...(and what do you pay per month)
Search this thread & you will get the speeds:

What's your internet speed?

But as far as cost/month...that's a different matter.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Here in the UK most users are stuck with Broadband supplied over the old copper telephone network because BT who own the network just keep taking profit and giving it to shareholders and football associations for TV rights.

Countries like Romania have a better opportunity to build modern infrastructure from scratch. I get 12 Mbps which is considered very good but can't have cable because the network company terminated the install 50 yards down the road!

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
leadfoot

leadfoot is on a distinguished road

True most broadband in England are still steam driven unless you go for the WiFi route on Mobile or the repackaged NTL lines now known as Virgin.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
In the USA we have everything from dial up to fiber.
I imagine that it's like this in most countries with an established networking grid. It's likely that the legacy stuff still lingers (dial-up) as the fibre rolls out across various nations.

Part of me questions the methodology of the chart linked to by the OP. The list provided has the following for their "methodology":
Quote:
Based on millions of recent test results from Speedtest.net, this index compares and ranks consumer download speeds around the globe.
Let's face the facts here - most people who use speed tests are likely savvy users (non-savvy users could probably care less that these tests exist if they even know that they do exist) and consequently, are generally used by people on the higher end of the speed spectrum. At best, this is a skewed sample and at worst, a complete misrepresentation of a nation's average networking speeds.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Part of me questions the methodology of the chart linked to by the OP. The list provided has the following for their "methodology":Let's face the facts here - most people who use speed tests are likely savvy users (non-savvy users could probably care less that these tests exist if they even know that they do exist) and consequently, are generally used by people on the higher end of the speed spectrum. At best, this is a skewed sample and at worst, a complete misrepresentation of a nation's average networking speeds.
Excellent point Van. I use dial up on MANY occasions when I'm setting up equipment at remote factory locations. For example, we have hen houses in the middle of fields in rural Nebraska. Those houses have no internet (just fiber connects to the Nexus core router in the main building. The VLANS are segregated to keep those houses off anything that would be exposed to the internet, I actually have to use dial up to VPN to the processing plant (eggs) building an acre away to check email or download filesets or service manuals from IBM. I've never even tried to run speed test on that. I use dial up at my mother-in-law's home in rural Michigan. Again, it's so slow it never occurred to me to try a speed test since I am only on briefly and usually check email on my iPhone (cellular) anyhow.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Not Down under vansmith. Our new, shiny, ultra conservative government has stopped optic fibre - reason? Interferes with Uncle Rupert's Foxtel and he supported their election campaign BIG TIME.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

LOL Harry, and I thought our politicians were the only ones who were in cahoots with big business!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Well Charlie our leader said on election night "We are open for business again" so what do you think?

QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

I was on my Surface tablet the other night and out of curiosity connected to Speedtest.net, and I was pleased to see it report about 20 Mbps, so I was okay with that (on AT&T U-verse).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone know what this cartoon is called? *PIC* | apple store job »