New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Tax Time!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, US members..... Which tax software are you going to use to do your 2013 US taxes?

The MAS has TurboTax available as a download. Price for the standard version is $29.99 and includes e-filing your return.

H&R Block at Home is $19.99 for their basic version but the system requirements to use it are vague at best.

The other tax software packages such as TaxACT are on line only for the Mac. They do not publish a download version for the Mac.

By the way, State Tax inclusions are extra for you poor folks who live in a state that has income tax!

Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I have used Turbo Tax for about 20 years. It has always done a great job for me. Before I started using it I did them by hand. Take my word for it Turbo Tax is much easier.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yes...it is starting to be that time. My wife usually does the taxes...and I know that she keeps her eyes peeled for the deals. I think that the past couple years the best deal she has found for TurboTax was from Costco. I would say we've been using TurboTax for close to 15 years.

Yes...we need to buy the state tax as well!

Here's an article I found listing the top 7 DIY tax packages:

Best Tax Software: Reviews of the Tax Preparation Software

I'm thinking that there are the top 2-3 packages...then a distant 4-7 for the other one's in terms of popularity.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Pen and paper and a calculator.

I've done it that way every year since I was 15 (about 21 yrs now). Now I'm married, have a mortgage and I deduct things like automobile registration taxes, charitable donations, etc. I'm very patient and thorough and confident when filing. About 2 or 3 yrs ago I compared my final forms to a free online software from H&R Block and the software was actually missing a nice deduction that I knew about from reading the instruction book.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I use TT for our taxes. My wife has a home business, so I need to get one of the upgrades for TT, but it makes it easy to get it all done once her accountant give us the breakdown.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I'll use Pen and Paper 1.0 as I always have.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

We don't use any software and just use H&R Block and meet with our tax guy there for an hour with our paperwork. They file electronically and the refund is direct deposit. It's pretty painless and our guy always seems to find some extra goodie we would have missed. I dislike taxes so it's probably best that I'm as removed from the process as possible!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Silent Night instrumental | Griffin and their RMA for a cable.... »