New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Downloaded ibooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kathmat

kathmat will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac OSX 10.9

I love reading on my ipad, but I started thinking. If I buy a traditional paper book, when I have read it, I can pass it along to my sister. It does not dissolve once it leaves my hand, or the pages do not encrypt when she picks it up. So - since ebooks cost the same or maybe more, I would think they are mine, I paid for them, I did not rent them and so I should be able to pass it along to her in the same way that I did before using ebooks. How do I do this?

And there is that question that has been a bit of a "hmmmm???" for me ever since joining Mac Forums. Who or what is the elusive "sticky?" And that is a dead serious question.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

There are some e- books on Amazon that if you purchased them you are able to lend them out for a period of time. But they are very limited. And I do emphasize limited. You can imagine how much money Amazon would lose if all their purchased e-books could be lent out.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
kathmat

kathmat will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac OSX 10.9

I do - but it just seems a little unfair that one is paying the same price as a paper book, and yet you can't pass them along, or donate them to a book sale or a library. Always a way to protect the bottom line I guess, and the noose tightens!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

The ONLY way to pass a eBook on is to give them your Apple iD and Password in your Will when you pass to the other side.

Apart from this, it can't be done, but there are people fighting this cause as some people download 1000's $ worth of Music and once dead who gets it ?? No-one so there are a few celebs trying to fight this decision.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Interesting. But TBOMK what little there is. Cant you have multiple devices with the same Apple ID and can't you have your music and book on all 5 at the same time. I know my music is on my machine. Well my NAS at the moment. Which just reminded me I should back that up.. LOL

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Devices are not protected by copywrite or the Digital Millennium Act, whereas books and music are. Brent is correct in his answer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple customer service is excellent! | healthcare .gov and Chrome »