New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Got a call from "Microsoft" - Yeah, Right.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Okay, so there I was cooking for Thanksgiving when the phone rings. Caller ID shows just a phone number, no name so I assume ... telemarketer. Nope.

A very foreign sounding man said he was calling from Microsoft because my Windows computer was contacting them with all kinds of error messages. He wanted me to go to my computer, open a browser and go to a specific website.

I told the guy I had a Mac and he said "What's that?" I said it's an Apple computer, you know, the other guys. He got flustered and said it didn't matter, just go to the site he was going to give me. I said I was an IT and I was very familiar with computer security and this sounded like a scam to me. I paused to wait for the response. He started laughing and said I was kidding him and I wasn't really an IT. I said sorry, I was and this conversation was over and hung up. I thought later - darn- should have gotten the website. But I was cooking and had to go.

I immediately called one of my best friends to warn her because I know her - she would do whatever they asked and she does have a Windows PC. She agreed that it would never occur to her it was a scam.

I did wonder if I had been having a blond moment and had gone to the website would my Mac been infected or would they have asked for personal information?? Guess I will never know.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

LOL, I suspect they thought they had a "Turkey" and were going to try to get you to give them your private info like credit card numbers and who knows what else. Good show Lisa, you avoided a scam for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

An interesting read about this scam: “I am calling you from Windows”: A tech support scammer dials Ars Technica | Ars Technica

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Spam comes in all forms...not just e-mail.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Interesting article. I wonder if I had had time to mess with him how he would have walked me through looking at error messages on my Mac. I got the impression he had no idea what a Mac was.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have visited sites in the past that told me my Mac had a Registry and wanted to clean it and delete the DLL files! Grin
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Not a new story - here in the UK we've been getting these calls for several years. I used to tell them very loudly to **** off and put the phone down. Now I play a game to keep them on the line for as long as possible... "Just a minute someone is at the door..." (put phone on desk and carry on working) then "I'll just turn my PC (sic) on...", "Sorry, can you repeat that", "Hang on my son is calling..."

My record is 28 minutes. Result!!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

We got a similar call last week and my daughter picked up the phone and she fell for it.
( She is the only one in the house with a windows PC ).
Luckily our oldest daughter read about it in the newspaper and asked what she was doing and took over the phone and she kept these guys busy with all kind of questions like ..... I can't connect to that web site because of error xyz etc .... was funny really.

The crucial thing with this kind of malicious behaviour is ..... awareness.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
Not a new story - here in the UK we've been getting these calls for several years. I used to tell them very loudly to **** off and put the phone down. Now I play a game to keep them on the line for as long as possible... "Just a minute someone is at the door..." (put phone on desk and carry on working) then "I'll just turn my PC (sic) on...", "Sorry, can you repeat that", "Hang on my son is calling..."

My record is 28 minutes. Result!!
I can beat that. My record is over 40 minutes.
By the end of the call the guy completely lost the plot and was shouting and swearing down the phone. Best fun i've had in ages.
QUOTE Thanks
tornadochaser

tornadochaser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 black macbook 2.4/2/250 running 10.7.5,

I got a call like that yesterday afternoon...i already knew about the game so i let him hang on the line and wait .. told him i had to find the windows pile of crap machine and then told him ooops i forgot i got rid of microsoft crap about 3 years ago and only use mac. he said something i couldnt understand and hung up
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

What? You mean you didn't get to talk to Bill Gates?

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Regular attempt Down Under and has been so for five or six years this 'Windows Technical Service' thing in an Indian accent.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukkah | Apple customer service is excellent! »