New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Just to say Hi and check out how this forum works.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GeoFan49

GeoFan49 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB • iPad 1 Wi-Fi • iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE •

My first personal computer was an Apple Lisa. For decades, in different jobs, I had a Mac at home and a PC at work, usually. Sometimes lucky enough to work for companies that used Macs.

I am about to embark on installing VMWare Fusion and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro this week...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Welcome to the forum.

I was a late bloomer - started with the TI-99 and stayed with the dark side for 25 years.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

Hello and welcome. A Lisa -- using that must have been a trip.
QUOTE Thanks
GeoFan49

Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB • iPad 1 Wi-Fi • iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE •

Apple Lisa... the first desktop GUI... yes, it was cool. I used it from 1984-1987 and donated it to a computer museum in 1990.

Update:

The Lisa had 1MB of RAM and a multitasking OS. That was unheard of in 1984. It took 5 years for the Mac to catch up with the Lisa.

The "bouncing balls" demo with several overlapping windows all running at the same time is what sold me on the Lisa.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

TRS-80, Model 1, with 16K of memory (yes, "K") and a cassette tape interface for loading programs and recording data. Upgraded it later with an external expansion board to 64K, installed CP/M (48K usable memory left) and added the memory chip to allow upper and lower case letters. Also added two 128K 5.25 inch floppy disks that stored, as I recall 256k on each side of the floppy. Ah, the good old days!

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Man you guys are all olllld...

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
GeoFan49

Yes, too soon old and too late smart!

"As you are now, so once was he... as he is now, soon you will be..."

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of any post, next to permalink. Spread the karma!
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoFan49 View Post
Apple Lisa... the first desktop GUI... yes, it was cool. I used it from 1984-1987 and donated it to a computer museum in 1990.

Update:

The Lisa had 1MB of RAM and a multitasking OS. That was unheard of in 1984. It took 5 years for the Mac to catch up with the Lisa.

The "bouncing balls" demo with several overlapping windows all running at the same time is what sold me on the Lisa.
Regarding the price, was there a bit of sticker shock with the initial investment in that Lisa?

What was office productivity like on that machine?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My friends dad bought a Lisa when they first came out. I was beyond impressed as before that GUI's were not very interesting. He saw the Lisa was going to be dropped and sold it and bought a Plus later. That was my introduction to Apple and the Mac.

BTW, Welcome to Mac Forums!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I hated personal computers until I got injured and needed to find a less physical new career. My BS was a dual useless major in Soc/Psych so I went back for a marketable skill. I got into Unix since no one was "into it" in 1999 and thus it still payed well back then. For personal computing I went to Mac from Windows in 2007 since it is Unix. I'll stay with Mac as my desktop OS until it turns into "iOS for desktops". At that point, I'll go Linux or just drop out all together outside work. Lately, the less wired I am, the happier I am. Full circle.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spotted Diçk | Journalling vs. Blogging vs. Forums ?? »