New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Any plumbers here?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

I have a water heater that's probably 2 1/2 years old. I changed the thermocouple last year. Just had to change it again .
How long should those last? Every year doesn't sound right. I would think 3 to 5 years minimum.
Anyone?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

No plumber, but it should last longer than that. My first one went 10 years, and I replace it last year. Did you have a nice large loop on the extra tubing? (If you had any). How much of the tip is in the flame? Good blue pilot?

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

It was slightly longer than the original but not so long it was looped. It's pre-adjusted as far as amount in flame. Yup, good blue flame.
This is a Whirlpool we bought not too long ago. And installed by a plumber (I don't solder anymore... copper pipes).

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with John. My previous one went 12 years before it needed replacement. Sounds like Whirlpool may be using cheap imported parts?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Probably, although the first replacement wasn't Whirlpool. This one is a Honeywell, maybe will last longer.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree with the others here. 10 Years plus typically.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
I have a water heater that's probably 2 1/2 years old. I changed the thermocouple last year. Just had to change it again .
How long should those last? Every year doesn't sound right. I would think 3 to 5 years minimum.
Anyone?
Do you have any special water chemistry in your area that may be affected things? Do you you have the temp setting super hot (what temp do you have it set at)?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Just curious, why would the temp setting affect it? All it does is keep the pilot light lit.
Do you mean cycles? That would be the main burner.
As far as water, it's slightly hard, not enough to need a softener.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I replaced the thermocouple also in my Wall heater at the other house. It was going strong when I moved out 12 years later. All it does it keep the pilot going. The Flame of the Pilot is what keeps it warm.
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Mc

Steve Mc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gig Video

Dumb question? natural gas or propane? If ng, off utilities or well head?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

We're talking about Texas, partner. Natural Gas of course! There's no way I would use propane tanks for gas unless there was nothing else available. Too doggone expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Mc

Steve Mc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gig Video

Just curious, sometimes people with farms or opportunities to get free gas from well heads have to deal with impurities, which can cause more than usual problems. Most gas connections have a drop prior to the connection to the heater. Turning of the gas and removing the plug to check for fluids wouldn't hurt. You're more likely to get this with well head hookups. Not to mention utility line hook ups also, especially if you're on the end of the line.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Hey Craig, did a little more digging on this and found that most folks agree that the thermo's purchased at the big box stores are crap, including Honeywell. I also found that replacing a water heater with a thermo for an HVAC system will yield better life results of the part.

I got mine from a dedicated HVAC supply company that was local, so maybe those are better quality.

Good luck!

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Well, got this one at local hardware store (not big chain) it was all they had. If it goes bad I'll look up the guys at the AC shop.
Funny though, I've never had this problem before. 'Course, everything is cheap nowadays. (made in China)
Thanks guys!

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Sorry for reviving an old thread but...
Guess what I just had to do --- AGAIN!
This is getting old.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firefox Update (Lag) | No word on a updated Mac Mini yet? »