New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Hum...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

moosegoose

Ok, starting college next year and...I need a Mac (based of the fields of study that I am going into AND the fact that they are far superior to pc's in these fields as well as the fact I want one).

So, I was thinking that since the new Mactel's weren't as fast as they were supposed to be (although no doubt those problems will be worked out eventually) and the high likelihood that Apple will still support the PPC software lines for years to come I was going to purchase a souped up iBook G4.

However, the graphics card is a let down for me (32MB video memory is no good) and I don't have the money to buy one of the more powerful ones.

I have a Linux based PC right now that has outstading specs and can do anything I need it too, but I am not going to be able to carry this thing around...

So, then I started considering one of the new iMac's, but that is also a desktop. Blah.

What should I do?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

sell the linux pc and buy a macbook pro or a powerbook.
just my 2 cents.. because you wont' really need the pc any more once you have a macbook or powerbook.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

If Linux is working for you, then I would just get one of the 15.4in widescreen Compaq laptops with the 128mb X700 for under $100, then put Linux on it.

What field are you going into?
QUOTE Thanks
moosegoose

Something involving art I know that much, even if it ranges from Architecture to Graphic design. I wouldn't have though architects would use Mac's because of AutoCAD or whatever not being supported although apparantly Mac's are huge in that field.

Anyways, I unfortunately don't have the time to devote to getting programs that will be required to run under Linux. I wonder whereabouts I could sell my desktop...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

You can sell anything on Ebay.

I would wait will you get to school and know the specific programs you are going to be using for your curriculum. Just because Apple is sometimes seen as "better" at certain thing, doesn't necessarily mean a school will use it.
QUOTE Thanks
moosegoose

True, but I know the school(s) use it because it says that they are heavily oriented in the Macintosh computers (it's a recommended for the programs).

How much do you think I could get for:

DFI Lan Party 250GB UT
AMD Athlon 3000+ 64-Bit (754)
1GB PC3200 Pqi
60 GB 7200 RPM HDD
256MB nvidia GeForce 6800 GT
16x DVD-Rom
48x CD-RW
Soundblaser Audigy 5.1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple's iMac & iPod Designer(s) | Turning off iMac screen without sleep? »