New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite Place to Buy Macs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I'm getting ready to buy a new MacBook Pro, so am in the process of deciding exactly what and where to get it.
I've bought a lot of electronic gear over the years, including quite a bit of Apple stuff. And, normally Amazon is my first choice vendor, followed by B&H and Apple. As a result I have quite a lot of direct experience with those three, and not a lot with other sources.

So, I am soliciting input on your favorite Mac source (and why, if you choose to share). Since I am USA based the poll choices are USA stores. Feel free to post in the thread comments/recommends on non-USA vendors as well.

Figured this thread may be useful to others, and might prompt me to try someone new.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

"Favorite places to buy Mac's"...Craig's List and e-Bay!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
"Favorite places to buy Mac's"...Craig's List and e-Bay!

- Nick
As soon as I saw you had posted I knew what your response would be . . .

I guess I should have specified new rather than used Macs, though you could still get either (potentially) from eBay or Craig's List.

EDIT: Updated question

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
As soon as I saw you had posted I knew what your response would be . . .
Yeah buddy!

Quote:
I guess I should have specified new rather than used Macs, though you could still get either (potentially) from eBay or Craig's List.
Yes I noticed that "loophole" in the question. So I figured it was fair for me to reply (before things were modified).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

For what it's worth. If I was to purchase a newer Mac...I would probably get it from the refurbished section of the Apple online Store.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

If it's new, definitely at my local Apple store. I don't care much about saving 50 bucks to buy it online and have to deal with potential returns.
If it's refurbished, Apple's online store...no exceptions.
If it's used, eBay. Craigslist too if given the opportunity to test it before buying.

But, my favorite is definitely at the Apple store. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Apple Store so if anything should go wrong I can exchange it that same day or get it resolved same day
plus I like looking at all the goodies.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
If it's new, definitely at my local Apple store. I don't care much about saving 50 bucks to buy it online and have to deal with potential returns.
If it's refurbished, Apple's online store...no exceptions.
If it's used, eBay. Craigslist too if given the opportunity to test it before buying.

But, my favorite is definitely at the Apple store. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside
This is one where I blow hot and cold. I like the idea of supporting local stores and try to buy at least some computer and photo gear locally. But, the savings on a new Mac is more like $100 to $250 than $50 (and even more if you add Apple Care) vs buying on-line.

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I voted Apple Online, caveat being I only buy refurbished systems anymore. The one new Mac I bought in 2007 was also bought from Apple's online store. If I bought a new Mac, I'd have my Mom buy it though work (Education Discount through Apple Online) and have it sent to my local Apple Store. I bought an iPad from a guy on the local firearms forum (met at firing range) and that went very smoothly as well.
I sell my used stuff on Craigslist as I like cash in hand and hate shipping, dealing with email back-and-forth and sending photos. I did sell a MacBook in here once and it went just fine though.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
This is one where I blow hot and cold. I like the idea of supporting local stores and try to buy at least some computer and photo gear locally. But, the savings on a new Mac is more like $100 to $250 than $50 (and even more if you add Apple Care) vs buying on-line.
I stated 50 because that's about all the difference between what I can get after discounts. In most cases, the value of being able to handle returns in person outweighs the slight price reduction after discounts...for me at least. Taxes and shipping not included

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Well, for our iPads & my rMBPro, I purchased from Apple online, but most recently we bought an iMac locally from MacAuthority located at Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, just a 10 minute drive for us. The nearest Apple Store is in Greensboro, about 40 minutes away.

MacAuthority is a regional business w/ just 5 stores (most in Tennessee) but seems to be a 'full service' Apple seller and authorized service provider - I'm planning to replace my iPad 2 after the holidays w/ an iPad Air and will likely just buy it there. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I voted for online Apple Store because that is how I bought both of my Macs (so far). But that's mainly because I did not get stock models and sometimes the store doesn't have the exact configuration I want. Although, it would feel great to walk out of the shiny big window Apple Store with a new Mac in my hands.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Apple Refurbs.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Never bought a new Mac before, so Craigslist would be my "favorite" place.

But if I was in the market for a new Mac, I'd buy directly from Apple, wouldn't want to deal with a 3rd party retailer.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There are some stores I like going to. Apple is one.
Hence, all my Macs, iPhones and iPad have been bought at the local Apple store thus far.
Think all the iPods I've had came from Fry's when they were on sale for a whopping 5-10% off.

I'd consider purchasing from our local MicroCenter if they were having a sale on exactly what I wanted.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The little dot? | Profile & Avatar Picture »