New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

This is only a test (new keyboard)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

Hey everyone.

Hmm so far so good type type type just came back from the Apple store in Partridge Creek mall a few hours ago (that's in the Detroit area) with my new wired keyboard for my Mac mini. And, of course, I just had to tell somebody. So that somebody is everyone here.

Haha, well, anyway, before this I was using the keyboard that came with my iMac that I bought a good ten years ago. I just felt like it was time for a new one.

Man, this thing is nice. Flat and thin. I guess that's the way things are going nowadays. Have to say, I'm also a Windows guy, but I've been very happy with my mini. This machine is still chugging along I've upgraded the RAM, I'm on Mountain Lion, I've added additional FireWire storage, so things are going good. A recent piece of software I bought is the Reason DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), and even this mini has no problems handling it.

(Didn't put this post into a hardware section because it's not really a request for help.)
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I've got a wired keyboard that came with either my G5 or 2008 Mac Pro and it's still alive and well. In fact, I keep it around for emergencies such as now when my Apple Bluetooth keyboard has croaked and the knockoff I bought cheap doesn't want to stay paired nearly as reliably. Only problem with the wired keyboard is that form time to time the "J" key pops up a bit as if the cap is about to come off but it is functioning fine.

BTW is your screen name by chance an homage to the ship that rescued Titanic survivors?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathiaMan View Post
Man, this thing is nice. Flat and thin. I guess that's the way things are going nowadays.
I believe that the "thin" keyboards that Apple is currently selling were first introduced in 2007. So they've been around for about 6+ years now. Not exactly a new trend!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I've got a wired keyboard that came with either my G5 or 2008 Mac Pro and it's still alive and well. In fact, I keep it around for emergencies such as now when my Apple Bluetooth keyboard has croaked and the knockoff I bought cheap doesn't want to stay paired nearly as reliably. Only problem with the wired keyboard is that form time to time the "J" key pops up a bit as if the cap is about to come off but it is functioning fine.

BTW is your screen name by chance an homage to the ship that rescued Titanic survivors?
When I was online last night in the Apple store buying the keyboard, I considered the wireless one, but I just don't know why I can't pull the trigger on wireless keyboards yet. I mean, I like the concept of wireless ... I use WiFi in my house, my Xbox 360 controller is wireless of course (as well as the Xbox 360 controller I use with my PC), I have a Bluetooth speaker for my tablet, etc. But with keyboards and mice, I still like them plugged in. I even bought last night, in addition to the keyboard for my Mac mini, a Corsair mechanical keyboard for my Windows rig (Newegg). And it's wired.

The wired Mac keyboard was a little cheaper, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

At any rate, about my screen name ... it's just something I thought of because my parents were from Germany, and around here we hang out at the local Carpathia Club which is a German American cultural center.
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I believe that the "thin" keyboards that Apple is currently selling were first introduced in 2007. So they've been around for about 6+ years now. Not exactly a new trend!

- Nick
Heh.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Heh.
I know I know. The "thin" keyboard is "new to you"...so it's still cool...and that's great!

I'm just saying that the thin keyboard is not new...or a new trend...since its been around for about 6+ years.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have used the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard for the last several years. I had the model which took 3 AA batteries rather than the later one which I think takes 2 instead. I could usually go a few weeks on a set of batteries though I soon switched to rechargeables. The keyboard got used extensively almost daily. Two or more hours a night on school nights and several hours a day weekends and vacations. Most of the time I had few problems with dropped connections. When I did touching a key or two usually corrected the problem without needing to fully re-pair the device.

A few months ago it went through a period where it refused to pair even after several attempts. I put it aside for a day or two till I had time to troubleshoot. It still refused to pair till I was literally about to trash it and decided to give it one last shot. It started working again and worked fine till about two week ago. I've since ordered a Logitech Solar Keyboard that can pair with two devices (which the current Apple keyboard does not do).

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

All in all I couldn't be more happy with this keyboard. I think it has a better feel than the one it replaced, it looks nicer, and it seems to me that it might be better in the long run with being able to withstand dirt and dust. My previous keyboard ... when I bought my Mac mini in 2009, I took that keyboard and cleaned every inch of it. And then it looked almost as good as new ... but now as I retire it, it seems it went right back to accumulating noticeable gunk again. Just seems like it was good at attracting it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
My previous keyboard ... when I bought my Mac mini in 2009, I took that keyboard and cleaned every inch of it. And then it looked almost as good as new ... but now as I retire it, it seems it went right back to accumulating noticeable gunk again. Just seems like it was good at attracting it.
Dirty hands/fingers also contribute to dirty keyboards!

I'm not saying all my keyboards are pristine things of beauty either. But slightly dirty fingers (which really cannot be helped)...over a long period of time...are the main contributor to dirty keyboards.

The keyboards don't get dirty all by themselves.

- Nick

p.s. Glad you like the keyboard!

QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

Quote:
Dirty hands/fingers also contribute to dirty keyboards!

I'm not saying all my keyboards are pristine things of beauty either. But slightly dirty fingers (which really cannot be helped)...over a long period of time...are the main contributor to dirty keyboards.

The keyboards don't get dirty all by themselves.

- Nick

p.s. Glad you like the keyboard!
True. Guess I'll just have to keep a supply of Lava soap handy...
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

If you have no problem with the look of the wires (I personally like a clean look), then wired keyboards and mice are definitely more reliable. I've had these things disconnect for no apparent reason (tho not a common occurrence by any means) and then there's having to changing the batteries several times a year, depending on how much use they get...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
True. Guess I'll just have to keep a supply of Lava soap handy...
Ha ha!

I think that it's the nature of clean keyboards to slowly "evolve" into dirty keyboards. Unless someone is really obsessive about cleaning their keyboard regularly (or washing their hands before EVERY use of the keyboard)!

This is also a perfect example of entropy. When a system moves from a condition of order (clean keyboard) to a system of disorder (dirty keyboard).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
When I was online last night in the Apple store buying the keyboard, I considered the wireless one, but I just don't know why I can't pull the trigger on wireless keyboards yet. ...
Not yet? Just wondering what it's going to take?

While I definitely keep an el cheapo wired around or troubleshooting and stuff, have used nothing but wireless keyboards/mice for at least... oh, must be somewhere around 15-16 years.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson can only hope to improve

Quote:
Ha ha!

I think that it's the nature of clean keyboards to slowly "evolve" into dirty keyboards. Unless someone is really obsessive about cleaning their keyboard regularly (or washing their hands before EVERY use of the keyboard)!

This is also a perfect example of entropy. When a system moves from a condition of order (clean keyboard) to a system of disorder (dirty keyboard).

- Nick
hahahaha. I dont know if I'm obsessed since I'm cleaning my keyboard everyday. But good thing it's black. Dirt cant be seen hahaha
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
hahahaha. I dont know if I'm obsessed since I'm cleaning my keyboard everyday. But good thing it's black. Dirt cant be seen hahaha
I was going to mention this earlier. Black keyboards (like those on Apple laptops from the last 4-5 years)...will certainly "camouflage" that cruddy, dirty, finger-cheese that builds up!

Just think of all the "nasty" places our fingertips touch, poke, and probe.lol

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Choosing a new smartphone. | Help with apple presentation »