New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Choosing a new smartphone.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MasterShake

MasterShake is on a distinguished road

So I have an iphone 4 currently and I am on verizon which I will be sticking with for a long while and my upgrade is not until febuary. I plan on trying out android and not too sure what to get. I am stuck between the galaxy s4 or the htc one. If the google nexus 5 comes to verizon I will get that but if not then what should I get? I never used android before. I have tried it out at best buy and they both seem pretty good. I don't want anything above 5 inches. 5.2 being the maxx. The note 3 is too huge for me. So what are your thoughts?

Samsung Galaxy s4 4.4.2, Mac mini late 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Both the S4 and One are top of the line phones. You'll be fine with either. Personally, I think touch wiz is junk so I'd get the One.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

The S4 is a nice phone. I currently own a Note 2 and the iPhone 5s. If I have to buy an Android phone, and it can't be the Note 3, it will be the S4. I still love my Note 2. The S4's screen is really nice, and functions beautifully as a smartphone. If you're going to an Android phone, you might as well get one that allows you to upgrade the storage size with an sd card. That's what I hate about the HTC One. What I also hate about the HTC One is the gimmicky Beats audio branding they put on it. It has no special speakers, but if a buyer is no wiser, a seller will tell you it has better speakers. What it has a preset equalizer program that automatically kicks in if you select it. ANy phone can have the same exact equalizer setup. It's a gimmick.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
MasterShake

Yeah I do like the s4. I like that you can upgrade the memory. Ill probably get a 32gb micro sd card for christmas. What launcher would you suggest I should install instead of using touch whiz?

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

In my opinion, the new TouchWiz is pretty good for a loaded OS. It used to be crap a few generations ago, but they've come a long way since then. I use Nova Launcher on my Note 2 on top of a custom rom(CleanROM ACE 4.6). Everything runs real well. My N2 has 16gb built in, as well as a 64gb SanDisk Ultra card. Never lets me down.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
MasterShake

Okay thanks Ill try out the new touch whiz for a while and see how it is. So does the remote control part work on any tv? Like say a crt tv? I have a 32inch crt tv at home. Or is it just for newer tvs.

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

I'm not 100% sure, but the S4 has an IR blaster, which is what allows it to be used as a remote, and just about all TVs have IR sensors. There's a remote control app called "WatchOn," and you basically set it to your TV until it's recognized. My guess(on the S4) is that it keeps bouncing IR waves until it causes the TV to do something, which is when you tell the app that it did something. With that, I can only assume that any TV with infrared should work. There are a few other good remote apps on the market too. What's cool is that you can control TV at your local bar if they have their watching some crap...or just have fun with them

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just curious, was wondering why you were considering going from an iPhone to an Android.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
In my opinion, the new TouchWiz is pretty good for a loaded OS. It used to be crap a few generations ago, but they've come a long way since then. I use Nova Launcher on my Note 2 on top of a custom rom(CleanROM ACE 4.6). Everything runs real well. My N2 has 16gb built in, as well as a 64gb SanDisk Ultra card. Never lets me down.
Interesting. I've read reviews to the contrary and am quite thrown off by the superfluous gimmicks that Samsung throws in (admittedly, you don't need to use them). However, the expansion abilities, raw power and the removable battery is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Just curious, was wondering why you were considering going from an iPhone to an Android.
Because it's better?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I asked the OP! If Android is better sell off that iPad and get an 10" Nexus.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

To the OP, from all I have read and seen so far, if I were to ditch Apple I would go with the S4 also.
QUOTE Thanks
MasterShake

I wanted to switch to android only cause I like to customize and do whatever I want with my device. With apple you would have to jailbreak the iphone but still it seems limited. Also the galaxy s4 has everything I could want with a smartphone. I like the ir blaster it has. At my work in the break room they have a tv and we don't use a remote for some reason. So I can just use my gs4 and change the channel or mess with people lol. I really like the playstore rather then the app store. It has so much more apps they even have emulators which is too cool. And the emulators are much better then the ones from the cydia store.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

That all makes sense. I was curious because of IOS7 and many disliking it and wondering if that was the reason. You gave some excellent reasons. Hope you enjoy your new phone. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Those "many disliking" iOS 7 miraculously changed their minds after using it for a few days. Apple's on track to break every record there is with that "disliked" iOS version this holiday, and more than 60 percent of the current base is already on iOS 7.

Not bad for "disliked."
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Many are still griping and will for sometime to come. Some pretty big names in fact. I wish I could see for my self but the way things are going in my life I doubt that will happen now. I know many Android people who used to hate IOS that love IOS7 though! Strange!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Haute Cuisine | This is only a test (new keyboard) »