New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

BI: Nokia Lumia 1020 camera better than iPhone 5S

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Taken with a grain of salt...what is everyone else's opinion?

Article here.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

As the article mentions...if a camera is someone's #1 priority...then maybe the Nokia Lumia 1020 is the better choice. But if a smartphone's other features & OS are more important...then maybe the iPhone is the better choice.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

It's been common knowledge that up to a point megapixels count doesn't matter. Megapixel size on the other hand, does matter. More light hits a larger surface, so larger megapixels are going to have better images.

I'd like to see what these images look like straight from the sensor, without any instant post processing down with the devices' software.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Looks to me like the 5S did a much better job in the outdoor photo.

The 1020 sky is washed out, the stripes on the US flag are not as sharp, top of the flag poles are not as sharp, the red brick appears un-naturally bright and looking at the beige stones of the building in the stack, the 5S is showing more of the difference in color in each square (caused either from it drying out from rain or dew or a possibly a really bad spray paint application).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I'd like to see what these images look like straight from the sensor, without any instant post processing down with the devices' software.
There are a few sample shots here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Will Echo Bobtomays words, MP means nothing in itself. Oops. Stretch's words!

Oh and Van, get a Lumina and have great application support. I would never get a Smartphone just for the camera. WP8's app support is the worst out there. I can get 2-3 better cameras for the street price of the Lumina if I wanted a great camera.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Thoughts: BI is not a photography site, and Jay Yarow is (pretty clearly) not a photographer.

a. On the first photo, he claims the iPhone photo is "the same photo" when it clearly isn't. IOW, he didn't shoot these simultaneously, he shot the separately, and clearly shook the iPhone one. Nonetheless, the Lumia photo (while clearer by far) is SO YELLOW. A *steady* iPhone shot would have won that contest hands-down for skin tone alone.

b. Second photo, again with the overall color and skin tone. I can't argue that 8MP is as good as 12MP or 20MP (though I think above that point there's no real advantage) -- but what's the point if you have to color-correct every shot? I note also that the iPhone more detail through the window.

c. Third photo, no contest -- iPhone wins.

I do like the clarity and sharpness of the Lumina, particularly if those were shot handheld. But it surprises me that the iPhone is SO MUCH BETTER at getting the colors right. And of course the last set of pictures -- showing the two phones -- doesn't do the Nokia any favors.

Nokia's on to something there, however, and if they can fix the problems with color they may well find a solid niche as the preferred phone for serious photographers. Given that you have no optical zoom on camera phones, the 41MP file size can come in handy for serious cropping to make up for the lack of zoom -- much more so than the iPhone, that doesn't have that luxury with only 8MP.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I see a Yellow cast on the skin of the people in both the 1st and 2nd pics. Chas mentioned it in the 1st Pic, but I see it on the skin especially on the 2nd one also. That skin tone is way off and bugs me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do I Need ANY Kind Of Anti-this or Anti-that? | An Open Letter of Appreciation to Mac-Forum's Leaders »