New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Do I Need ANY Kind Of Anti-this or Anti-that?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

I'm running Mountain Lion on a 13" MacBookPro. I've been running the free version of AVG for Mac but I think it slows me down a bit.

Do I really need it or any other "Anti-" program? Thank you in advance for your help.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

No and I would uninstall it.
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

Thank you. I'll uninstall it.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have been using Windows 7 here for my gaming rig. I am so used to OSX and just doing what I want I forgot I was on Windows as W7 does work very nice. Well I have been hit 4x now with Malware and one true self installing virus. One came straight from a known Disk Utility application right off their server and installed so many nasties it took me 45 min to get rid of them all! Oh well, makes me appreciate OSX more I guess!

A note to the OP, I am not careful on OSX, not at all and do what I want. Only care I take is putting in my password when asked for a download until I am sure what it is. Otherwise I go all out. Am sort of a Hacker type. Never once in around 10 years now have I ever been hit. I had to go find that DNS re-director Trojan and force it to install just to see it work. It took me 30 seconds in the terminal to remove it. So do not worry too much about AV. Just use your head and do not give access to anything you don't for sure know what it is and you should be fine.

Let the flames come. Facts are facts.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have been using Windows 7 here for my gaming rig. I am so used to OSX and just doing what I want I forgot I was on Windows as W7 does work very nice. Well I have been hit 4x now with Malware and one true self installing virus. One came straight from a known Disk Utility application right off their server and installed so many nasties it took me 45 min to get rid of them all! Oh well, makes me appreciate OSX more I guess!

A note to the OP, I am not careful on OSX, not at all and do what I want. Only care I take is putting in my password when asked for a download until I am sure what it is. Otherwise I go all out. Am sort of a Hacker type. Never once in around 10 years now have I ever been hit. I had to go find that DNS re-director Trojan and force it to install just to see it work. It took me 30 seconds in the terminal to remove it. So do not worry too much about AV. Just use your head and do not give access to anything you don't for sure know what it is and you should be fine.

Let the flames come. Facts are facts.
Same here Dennis been surfing the net with a Mac since 2006 with no fear and no AV.
Got the nasty FBI bug on a Win 7 laptop that required a reformat it was hammered so bad.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Well, I think that the issue for the OP is whether to run AV on a Mac (not a Windows machine) - I'm not running an AV program on my MBPro nor on my wife's Mac - we're behind a router (Apple AirPort Extreme) - the only issue that would concern me is passing on Windows malware, e.g. via email, to a friend or colleague who is using a PC - i.e. malware that will not affect the Mac OS may still be destructive to a Windows machine - this is not a major issue for us, but if I were concerned then the free ClamXav would probably be my choice. BUT, just my 2 cents - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
macgeek22

macgeek22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5Ghz Core i5; 10GB 1600Mhz;500GBSSD;Intel 4000; OSX 10.8.5

I was thinking for awhile about putting Kaspersky on my Mac, but an engineer I know who works for Apple doesn't run anything on his Mac's. If He's that sure about not getting any malware than I'm pretty sure I won't either.

2012 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz Core i5,10GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 500GBSSD, Intel 4000, OSX 10.8.5
Best computer I have ever owned...
QUOTE Thanks
mesut

mesut will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBA mid-2013

Doesn't that depend a little on how we use our computers?

We all know that building a Mac virus is not impossible. And it is also very possible that a user gets distracted and allows something he didn't have any idea about.

So, if one doesn't play dirty, he seems to be okay. I'm a newbie on Mac too, but that is my impression.

But if you are downloading pirated software, or downloading a legit software from a third party website and not from the vendor's site, I think you are exposed to any threat. I mean, where is the better place than a "cracked mac apps site" to spread a mac virus? Same thing goes for third party websites. Okay, you think you download a legit app (or any other content), but what if the site was compromised?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Anyone downloading pirated software/music/video/etc. takes their chances no matter what platform they may be on.
And having an AV in place will not protect you from any new variants just released into the wild.

Practically speaking, you will find among long time Mac users, those that use some type of AV with any regularity is likely under 5% (and perhaps much less than that).

If you want the best scoop on Mac malware, have a read here and here.

(My wife under Windows, I was unable to install enough security to keep her machine free of malware which typically caused a reinstall at least once every 9-12 months to get rid of it all. She has been malware free on a Mac (a single machine) for over 6 years now which has also gone through 3 in place upgrades to the OS.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Still no Mac OS X viruses. The news will be trumpeted around the world should it occur.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Still no Mac OS X viruses. The news will be trumpeted around the world should it occur.
It will definitely make the cover of Time.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
It will definitely make the cover of Time.
Also Maximum PC!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why do we take this from Apple? | BI: Nokia Lumia 1020 camera better than iPhone 5S »