New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Do your friends give you grief for switching to Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lastmboy

Lastmboy will become famous soon enough

This is just a fun one. I've been a Windows business application developer for over 25 years. A little over a year ago I made the switch to a 27" iMac, and I'm now working my way into being a Mac-based web developer (no fun programming in Windows anymore ).

I LOVE my iMac. So much so that I'm now the proud owner of a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro. I used to be very anti-Apple, but now am seeing benefits even in the things I slammed Macs for before. I am so much more productive now, and I love working on the Mac. It's fun again. It hardly feels like "work", anymore.

However, I'm now the only "outsider" in a huge herd of Windows programmers. You would not believe the harassment I take. I try to explain why the Mac is so good, but nobody listens. I have to think that I was like that at one time. I think you actually have to USE a Mac before you "get it". That's what got me.

Anyways, just wondering if I'm the only that takes harassment for the switch, or if there are others that get harassed by the Windows crowd.

27" iMac 3.4GHz I7, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, Apple TV (3rd generation), iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It used to be just the opposite back in the days when I started working for the US government as a computer repair tech on main frames and then later mini systems. The few techs and programmers I knew that owned Macs were constantly bragging how great they were and how bad the IBM machines were. That's when the name "fan boy" got started (this was in the 80s).

How times have changed!

(By the way, this doesn't belong in Switcher... moved to the Lounge.)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My friends wouldn't think of it.

Especially, since I'm the one they call on to "fix" their Windows machines.
Although, not doing nearly as much of that as I use to.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastmboy View Post
You would not believe the harassment I take. I try to explain why the Mac is so good, but nobody listens. I have to think that I was like that at one time. I think you actually have to USE a Mac before you "get it". That's what got me.
And this is so very true. You will be amazed at the amount of members we get here that say they have recently moved to Mac for one reason or another, and how they now understand the statement a lot of people use "Once you go Mac, you will never go back".
Actually, its every new Mac user that says that.
For me, it the OS that i find a joy to use, and im just blessed to get such a nice looking piece of hardware to wrap around it. Its amazing what a company can do when they make both the OS and Device, because it does just work.
IMHO there will never be a true Android device as no-one makes the device for the OS, but Samsung are coming very close of gelling the 2 together, but im happy with my iPhone 5 and iOS 7β as  have made a perfect Phone for their OS OR have they made the perfect OS for the Phone ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Anyways, just wondering if I'm the only that takes harassment for the switch, or if there are others that get harassed by the Windows crowd.
We get this sort of thread every now & then.

For what's it worth...whether someone is a "switcher" or not (always a Mac User). Because there are roughly 9+ Windows users to every 1 Mac User (this ratio was MUCH worse in the 80's and 90's)...Windows users have been giving Mac Users a hard time since 1984...when the Mac was first introduced.

If someone likes "following the crowd"...then using a Mac is not for that person!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Well, I started w/ an Apple II+ in 1980 - kept for a half dozen years & loved - then switched to PCs (work need) - after 30+ years and in the spring of this year (after retirement) transitioned back to Apple (rMBP & iMac; already had iPads/iPod) - I could not be happier for many reasons. For those who have only had a PC experience, I'd refer them to the painting below by one of my favorite painters, Pieter Bruegel - the point is obvious - Dave

QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
We get this sort of thread every now & then.

For what's it worth...whether someone is a "switcher" or not (always a Mac User). Because there are roughly 9+ Windows users to every 1 Mac User (this ratio was MUCH worse in the 80's and 90's)...Windows users have been giving Mac Users a hard time since 1984...when the Mac was first introduced.

If someone likes "following the crowd"...then using a Mac is not for that person!

- Nick
I caught one friend off guard a few days ago. He gets very annimated when expressing the "stupidity of owning a Mac". Comments like "Why pay 3 times the price when a cheap pc can do everything you need?" I asked him why he drives a brand new BMW. "Why pay 3 times the price when a cheap Chevette can do everything you need?" There was no comment...

27" iMac 3.4GHz I7, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, Apple TV (3rd generation), iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I caught one friend off guard a few days ago. He gets very annimated when expressing the "stupidity of owning a Mac". Comments like "Why pay 3 times the price when a cheap pc can do everything you need?" I asked him why he drives a brand new BMW. "Why pay 3 times the price when a cheap Chevette can do everything you need?" There was no comment...
OUCH...that was a great comeback!!!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It used to be just the opposite back in the days when I started working for the US government as a computer repair tech on main frames and then later mini systems. The few techs and programmers I knew that owned Macs were constantly bragging how great they were and how bad the IBM machines were. That's when the name "fan boy" got started (this was in the 80s).

How times have changed!
No kidding. I never cared for the Classic Mac OS back in the day, but had nothing against it. What did put me off were the occasional but highly obnoxious Mac enthusiasts I'd run into online here and there.

No one gives me grief about switching to a Mac, though I haven't really converted anyone. Of course, I haven't actually tried, but I give the plusses and minuses if anyone asks. There's definitely a growing interest, and there really is a halo effect from the iPhone pushing that interest.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Mac Users in 2013 have no idea how good they have it (old guy speaking here)...even if in 2013 they still get some abuse from Windows users.

Mac Users in the 1980's were really really really in the minority in the computing world. And purchasing software, hardware, getting repairs, or just general help with a problem...was very very difficult due to so few Mac-Users and of course...no internet.

How did it feel to be the average Mac-User back in the 1980's?? Imagine being marooned on a desert island with case after case after case of canned foods...and not having a can-opener!

- Nick

p.s. This is why Mac-User groups were so necessary/important back then. But this usually only worked if you were located in big cities. If you were in a smaller city or in a rural area...forgetaboutit!

QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I was in the S/100 bus camp when the PC came out. I railed against the stupidity of the IBM PC and the bus architecture it had as a step backwards. But in those days IBM had clout in the commercial market and won by the law of mass tonnage (They sold a crap-ton of PCs, outweighing the superior technology of S-100.)

For similar reasons, the Apple/IBM schism began. IBM chose the Z-80 chipset from Intel, Apple used the Motorola 68000 series. With the law of mass tonnage also applying to the Apple line as well as the S-100 line, Intel won out. And Microsoft beat CP/M and the Apple OS for the same reason.

Small communities remained of both, but S-100 and CP/M didn't have "fanboys" to keep them alive. Fortunately for Apple, it found a niche in graphics (which Intel didn't do well) and schools. The "fanboy" culture kept it going long enough to figure out where to survive.

I personally think the best move Apple did was to the Intel chipset. That move made it possible to have a reasonable virtual machine environment, or to run Windows natively. Switchers didn't have to go "cold turkey" to move to Apple. I suspect today most switchers move to the Mac world, then keep their "favorite" or "critical" application from Windows going in either BootCamp or a VM Windows box until they are more fully weaned away from that environment. I know that in my case it took a year or so for me to let go of that last application. Today I do have a Parallels Window machine for an antique piece of software that requires XP, never had a Mac version and won't run in any other Window version. It is, unfortunately, paired with a piece of hardware that my wife needs for her business, so It remains as the last vestige until she tells me it can die.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
There's definitely a growing interest, and there really is a halo effect from the iPhone pushing that interest.
You know, I never thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right. Many of our friends that own iPhones, iPad, or iPod, (and a PC) have commented that their next computer purchase is going to be a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You know, I never thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right. Many of our friends that own iPhones, iPad, or iPod, (and a PC) have commented that their next computer purchase is going to be a Mac.
This just happened with a friend of mine in another state. She switched to iPhone about 6 months ago. And then when her Dell laptop broke 2 weeks ago, she went to the Apple store and picked up a 13" MBP. Her first Mac ever.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

I use to ridicule mac owners for purchasing a very expensive machine when a PC could do the same thing for a lot less.

Well, now I am a new first time Mac owner.

Most people see the cost of a PC is much lower than a Mac and are willing to put up with a flaky, sloppy OS, malware attacks, and installation of software taking longer.

A couple of months ago I needed to replace an old laptop that I use to capture video from live events. I discovered PC laptops no longer have firewire ports and usb adapters do not work with Premiere. Since portability is essential desktops were out. The only laptop offering a firewire solution is the macbook pro. You have no idea how I agonized over purchasing my mac. Months of research and reading...and saving up. This forum was a huge help. I finally purchased an early 2011, 15" with 16GB, 2.3 i7, 1Tb hard drive.

I was blown away. Not only does it capture flawlessly but Premiere Pro runs smoother. I had messed with Linux before and knew enough about OS X to pass my A+ certification (I work as an IT ) but I never realized how well a Mac ran. It is just smooth, quick, and clean. And the touchpad is fabulous!

Now at work I wish we had Macs. I have gotten several of them on iPads - baby steps!

-Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Part of the issue with pc/windows users, I believe, is that the only thing they have to compare to is a pc. Thus, a computer must have a massive power supply, many fans and heat syncs. It must be in a large rectangular box and should make lots of noise. It must be fully "upgradeable".

I laugh because that's the way I was. I ended up talking to a really knowledgeable Apple rep, and realized that there is a whole new dimension if you "let go" of some of your pre-conceived notions. My iMac does not need a massive power supply because it is very efficient and doesn't need 1200 watts to operate. It doesn't need five 8 inch fans in the case because the whole case acts as a heat sync and heat rises out the top. How many people thought of a "round" computer until the new Mac Pro was announced? Upgradeable? For 27 years I only bought or built "upgradeable" PC's, yet never once did I upgrade one, other than to maybe bump up the RAM. Nobody upgrades in the pc world. There's always a new board with a new chipset that only takes a new format of RAM or expansion card or cpu. I found most PCs to be obsolete after 3 years and pretty much throwaway after 5 years.

It just seems that all of the arguments I hear are based solely on the idea that the existing PC is already perfect, thus everything should be compared to it. Expensive? Maybe if all you look at is the retail price tag. Maybe if your time isn't worth anything and you enjoy stress. I have two PCs (one of which is getting donated to charity and getting replaced by a Mac Pro), an older Mac Mini, and a 27" iMac I7. The ancient Mac Mini is more stable that the 2 Windows PCs. I spend literally hours fighting with the two Windows machines. One software clashes with another. One day a pc won't boot up. BSOD after BSOD. Well, you guys know how it works. I got fed up with one of them, formatted it, re-installed windows from scratch. Then installed Acronis so I could do backups. After that, pc would never boot up. After 8 hours of Googling, restarting, trying this and that, I finally got it into safe mode and got Acronis off of it. However, now, every time I right-click in Windows explorer, it crashes. Hours and hours and hours wasted mucking around with these things.

Then I sit down at my iMac with two glorious 27" displays, SSD, 24 TB in RAID 5 boxes that retrieve data faster than raided SSD's. Hardly any noise, whatsoever (biggest pc sounds like a helicopter taking off). Everything I do on the iMac is enjoyable. Even work. No time is spent scratching your head and trying to figure out what driver goes with what, what tweak to make so that my app doesn't crash, why my printer won't print anymore, whether to re-install Windows and spend 3 days re-installing all software because it's getting too slow to be useable. It's acting weird... wonder if I have a virus... Anyways, I could go on and on, but we all know how much fun a Mac is. The whole experience is just more enjoyable. Everything just works. Everything just looks good. It's fun.

So, I've invested close to $10,000 in my iMac. Compared to the $2000 mega pc I previously built, the Mac is a bargain. I've saved 4 times that amount in hours that haven't been wasted trying to get it working. I've added clients and new lines of business, because I have more time and have the tools to do more. I've actually sold customers on an idea just because they looked so impressive when displayed on my Mac. Mac's aren't expensive. You recover the cost in no time.

I'm not really anti-Windows... well, maybe anti-Windows 8... I have 2 PC's at home and I have to work on one at a client's site. To me, a pc is like a 1997 Pinto. It will get you there and doesn't cost much up front, but a 2013 Mercedes is a lot more enjoyable.

I guess I'm likely preaching to the choir, so should probably stop ranting now

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« InstructUs LLC | Another picture of Arnold the Chihuahua »