New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

If there ever was a phone to take me away from the iPhone. this would be it . . . .

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I was watching this with soooo much interest, and i didnt back it, because to get the phone i would have had to outlay at least $695 + Postage and Handling.
Its called the Ubuntu Edge and was first shown on the crowd sourcing site Indiegogo. The Ubuntu Edge ~ On Indiegogo would have the capability of Dual-boots into Ubuntu mobile OS and Android; converts into a full desktop PC.

With 4GB RAM and 128GB internal storage honestly blows anything now out of the water, as well as giving me Stereo Speakers and Dual-LTE, Connectivity and GSM.
The other reason i would of considered going over to this, is it genuinely looks nice. Slim, sexy and all round goodness.

When it was on Indiegogo, they had a pledge level of 32,000,000, and in the first 8 hrs people had backed it to the sum of $2,000,000 and looked like it was on its way, but unfortunately only made it to $12,000,000

Anyways it looks like a BiG company has put their hand up to help get this off the ground, and im really hoping it does, because honestly, Dual Boot and a Desktop OS, is in another grade of its own, and this means good competition, and i dont care about Samsung, but i hope Apple are taking notice, because they will need to in the near future bring out something outstanding.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm 100% with you on this. Even if the Edge is dead, the OS isn't and 3rd party Ubuntu handsets are still slated for release, from what I understand.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

The things that makes me want this is the OS. It sounds absolutely fantastic to have a full OS on a phone that transfers to the desktop, as well as the ability to dual boot to Android OS! The design itself is also pretty nice, but nothing special.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Very nice. Something like this would be great for your wayward Unix sysadmin visiting his family on vacation. Less junk to drag along, and easy to drop all one's scripts on the phone. It would be cool to run the IBM HMC, dsm/dsmc/dsmj, dscli, xivcli/gui and a smitty terminal window from a phone for the geek factor alone!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« have a peek of the iwatch, will you buy it? | Ballmer to go! »