New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Complementary iCloud storage expiring September 30th?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zBernie

zBernie can only hope to improve

My wife and own two iMacs, a Macbook Pro retina, two iPhones, three iPads, four
Apple TV's, and to iPods. So after spending about $10,000 on hardware alone,
and contributing to Apple being flush with cash to the iTune of ~ $150 billion,
I received the email below saying my iCloud backup, documents in the Cloud, and
iCloud mail will stop working if I don't upgrade, or delete my files? Essentially
Apple is blackmailing me to pay for additional cloud storage?

Since Apple has time and time again shown themselves to be greedy and petty, I
intend to cancel my iTunes match subscription for $24.99 per year. I no longer
need it since I've subscribed to Google Play, and have uploaded my entire iTunes
library for FREE!. Up to 20,000 songs are allowed! And since I'm using a
whopping 6 GB of storage for my iDevices cloud storage, I deleted my backup, and
have no intention of paying Apple for more storage. I was also considering
getting my 4 year old a 7" iPad, since he has a heavy re-purposed iPad 1, but
instead I purchased a 7" Nook/Android tablet for him for $129. So, I saved
myself about $200 right there! The bottom line is my complementary storage
expires on September 30th, but my loyalty to Apple has already expired.

Dear zBernie,

As a thank you for being a former MobileMe member, you received a 20 GB
complimentary storage upgrade when you moved to iCloud. Your upgrade expires on
September 30, 2013. When it expires, your iCloud storage will be automatically
adjusted to the free 5 GB plan. Note that you are currently using 6.19 GB of
storage. If you exceed your storage plan on September 30, 2013, iCloud Backup,
Documents in the Cloud, and iCloud Mail will temporarily stop working. To
continue using these iCloud features without interruption, reduce the amount of
iCloud storage you are using or purchase a storage plan by September 30, 2013.
For more information, see this article.

The iCloud Team
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

When MobileMe ended and iCloud took over Apple informed you of the temporary complementary iCloud storage and what the eventual storage would be, so you went into this with eyes open, so why the gripe?

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Csound1

Csound1 is on a distinguished road

What does the amount you spend have to do with the treatment you expect to receive. You have had exactly the same treatment as other iCloud/Mobile Me users, why are you expecting more?
QUOTE Thanks
zBernie

Why gripe? Because what Apple is doing is tantamount to blackmail. They knew full well that millions of users would eventually be faced with this difficult choice, and would choose to line Apple's pockets. Well screw Apple! I subscribed to a free 15GB Google drive account! and will store my iPhone backups there!

Apple's pettiness and failure to hear their customer's concerns will lead to their downfall -- Like General Motors.
QUOTE Thanks
zBernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csound1 View Post
What does the amount you spend have to do with the treatment you expect to receive. You have had exactly the same treatment as other iCloud/Mobile Me users, why are you expecting more?
Well, it's Csound1, Apples damage control expert from discussions.apple.com!

As usual Csound1, you are missing the point, and trying to divert attention from the real issue, which is that Apple is petty and greedy. But if you really do not understand the reason why I mentioned all of my Apple hardware, it was to show how big of an Apple customer I am. But time and time again Apple has shown me that they are a myopic company, with little concern for their customers concerns, which will eventually lead to Apple becoming a niche company.
QUOTE Thanks
Csound1

Csound1 is on a distinguished road

The point is that you seem to expect free service merely because you spent some money on other products. You had free service for a year, now you want more but it is not available to you, or others (it's a level playing field) The amount of money you spend does not afford you special status. I would have riposted in the other forum but your posts eventually got the thread pulled.

"Well, it's Csound1, Apples damage control expert from discussions.apple.com!"

I don't work for Apple, try to understand that simple fact.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

All of us mobile me customers were informed 2 years ago that we were getting free upgrade to 25 GB storage space and were told the 25 GB storage would go back to the 5 GB once that time was up. A little late in complaining.

The Google drive 15 GB includes "everything" you store - your Movies, photos, documents, backups, etc.

With Apples 5 GB free storage, basically backups, camera roll, documents and mail count toward that.
You also get unlimited free storage for your purchased music, movies, TV, shows, apps, books.

Which one is better for any particular individual depends on the individual's storage requirements.

At the time Apple started iCloud - Google Drive did not exist. It's a little over a year old now and was started to compete with Apple. If enough folks leave the iOS/iCloud system for the google drive/Android system - perhaps Apple will rethink their storage limit.

I've had that 25 GB for this past 2 years - I have 24.9 GB free of that. So, likely a non-issue for not only myself, but hundreds of thousands of others.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Knowing the eventual outcome, I kept my iCloud storage low, 2.7GB when I received my email from Apple. I could whittle that down significantly too. Not an issue for most Apple users.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Hrm, I'm not even close to a half a gig. Blackmail? Ummmm. Ok.

You pays your money and makes your choice.. And of did, so I don't see the problem.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I've had their online storage since since it was referred to as iDisk. Never really used it much though since it was usually quite slow even with high speed broadband. I had just paid for a year of service when they announced the changes so I never really expected it to go beyond what they had announced. If they did great but not expected.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I agree with chas_m and others on this issue. Apple did not spring this on us overnight. We had ample warning, and I'm not even close to the 5GB limit. If I wanted to use iCloud to store more data I'd happily pay the $20 per year, which is less than one good bottle of Tequila or four decent cigars. Considering the low price of backup drives, and the convenience of having my backups immediately available, I don't see the need for all the drama over this. Besides, I have more than 1.2TB of photos and 600GB of music on my local drives. A paltry 25GB won't begin to meet my storage needs. YMMV.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I agree with the above comments. You were given a FREE extension, one to which you clearly agreed with since you kept on using it. It was given out for free to users who had paid for a certain term for MobileMe service, and a few other exceptions. Under this time, MobileMe got upgraded into iCloud, and those users who were in this transition period were offered free service with additional storage to fully try out its capabilities. If you're really going to be that salty about this, I don't know why you are even that heavily invested in the cloud. At that time, I don't remember any service being as well-encompassing as iCloud, and its ability to easily save data between multiple types of devices. Now there are a few similar service, but I don't believe any are are well-developed for the Apple system as iCloud as a whole setup. That statement is coming from a DropBox and Google Drive user who uses the living crap out of them every hour of the day. They all have their own advantages.

I'm not a blind follower, but I greatly appreciate Apple for even giving use 2 years of the service for free. If I were that heavy of a user to take up 20+gb of online storage with a single cloud, paying 25 bucks a year is nothing. Only thing hindering me right now is that I have 50+gb available on my DropBox, so paying for iCloud would not be that beneficial for me.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« International Calling Cards | Planetary Gravitation Simulator »