New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Buying from OWC/ credit card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

r0ganj0sh

r0ganj0sh is on a distinguished road

Hi all, i live in the UK and am buying some new RAM for my macbook from OWC. It went fine but i have received an email from them with attached pdf files, in which they want me to add pictures of my credit card and a photo id to verify i'm a proper customer. Now i think this could all be fine as i am purchasing from abroad and they state my credit card doesn't participate in international verification that they use.
My question is has anybody else had to do this when ordering from OWC when they live outside the USA?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only my thought and while I feel OWC is a very reputable company...

Had a company ask me for those - not OWC - I declined.
What's to prevent someone that gains access to those pics now being able to prove they are you?

Have you tried paying via their Amazon portal or Paypal?

Besides, a pic of the CC and photo ID merely indicates both of them were probably taken out of the same wallet.
Proves nothing.

Maybe a pic with you holding a sign with today's date along with the CC and ID, maybe...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree. There is no way I would send them a picture of my CC and photo ID even though as bobtomay stated OWC is a reputable company. Find another way to pay them or order your memory modules locally in the UK.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you cannot find some sort of resolution with OWC...order your ram from:

- http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.aspx (Crucial UK website)

If I remember correctly. I think that Crucial has a UK based warehouse as well...so delivery will be quicker.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Excellent recommendation from Nick!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Shopped many times from OWC and have never run into this odd request. Maybe you will have to take it up with your credit provider.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Contact them directly if you choose to stick with them. Get some clarification as to why this is needed beyond the short description that's been emailed to you. Otherwise, I'd avoid that request like the plague.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

YES i did have to do this the very first time i bought from them with a Credit card. I though what the heck, when i first had to jump through hoops, but once it is faxed off to them, you are fine to go. Its well worth doing as others have said they are a reputable company and to jump through hoops to get that sort of service is well worth it IMHO

@Harry, mate, you probably bought from them so long ago, they didn't have Fax or anything similar to have a quick enough turn around but they do do this as its a security measure, and they don't want to be held accountable for someone stealing a card and going online and spending up big.

@OP do it mate once and then your ok to go and spend your hard earned

EDIT : I remember blacking out all numbers except the last four, so they didnt have a full copy of the Card, and same with the back, i blacked out the 3 digit number you need as confirmation. Just do that OP and they will accept it.
They just need to confirm the name on the card with your ID name

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
r0ganj0sh

Thanks for all the replies, think i will cancel that order and just pay with paypal as that will be easier.
Went with OWC over Crucial because it worked out quite a bit cheaper but then i may get a charge when it goes through customs but we will see, at least i will know for the future!

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ganj0sh View Post
Went with OWC over Crucial because it worked out quite a bit cheaper but then i may get a charge when it goes through customs but we will see, at least i will know for the future!
Very possible. VAT charges in addition to any customs charges.

Crucial's prices were probably more than an OWC...since Crucial has a UK presence...and probably has customs fees & VAT amounts built into their price...where OWC doesn't (but may be added before you receive the package).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Depends what the UK government decided on VAT and import duties whether or not you pay any extras. Here in Australia GST does not apply until the purchase price exceeds from memory $1000.00, about 650.0.0. Mind you local sellers are putting on pressure to stop online sales.

You in the UK are like us here and usually pay a high premium for shopping locally.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
r0ganj0sh

All ordered now and payed with by paypal, which was really easy, gotta remember to use that more often. Will have to wait and see now if anything else needs to be payed when it arrives, will be good too find out if small bits like this can be ordered from abroad for a better price.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ganj0sh View Post
Thanks for all the replies, think i will cancel that order and just pay with paypal as that will be easier.
Paypal can have its own problems. I have a CC for 'net purchases only - had it for years with never a problem or late payment. Plain Visa - Major bank. But on occasion, I will hit a shopping cart that uses PP for verification, and I get the message "This card cannot be used for this purchase."

As far as I know, there is no fix other than apply for another card somewhere and hope it works. Certainly, contacting PP isn't an option unless you are retired with nothing else to do, have a wired phone with no battery, and are willing to call back innumerable times. Unfortunately, you get the same cretin every time. "Why don't you just get another card and save us the problem of having to talk to you?"

Or let your mouse do the walking and shop somewhere else.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
Paypal can have its own problems. I have a CC for 'net purchases only - had it for years with never a problem or late payment. Plain Visa - Major bank. But on occasion, I will hit a shopping cart that uses PP for verification, and I get the message "This card cannot be used for this purchase."
I have a similar problem with a debit card I have with a credit union local to the city I grew up in (and long moved from). Every once in a while, I run into a business here that can't process transactions on that card. It's not denied or insufficient funds. It just kicks back some error that it can't process it. Now that you have me thinking about it, I need to get that exact message some time and contact them about it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Steam is like that. It won't accept my debit card if I want to buy a game. I always have to pull out one of my credit cards to purchase something.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very Happy With Genius Bar Service | Former Apple Employee Sells Apple Retail Store Displays »