New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Charger cord protection - advice wanted

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nyobie

Nyobie is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have any suggestions how to wrap the cord for storage in a backpack? I'm concerned that the 90 degree connections at both ends of the cable might fatigue and eventually crack and possibly cause problems with charging or overheating.

Thanks in advance!

15-inch MacBook Pro Retina
768GB SDD, 16GB RAM, 2.8GHz Intel i7 Quad Core
AirPort Time Capsule 3TB
iPad Retina, 64GB & iPhone 5, 64GB
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I wrap all my cords especially the ones that are thick, in a circle. I use plastic twist ties to keep the circle intact.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyobie View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions how to wrap the cord for storage in a backpack? I'm concerned that the 90 degree connections at both ends of the cable might fatigue and eventually crack and possibly cause problems with charging or overheating.
#1 thing to do is...don't wrap the cord so tightly that you create a 90° bend in the cord. In other words...wrap it loosely.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

That's what I do to. I usually gather both ends of the cable in a circle around the charging brick, and never make it circle smaller than the length of my thumb and pinky when extended. This just happens to be the perfect size for storing inside my Swiss Gear backpack's front pouch...like this:
Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 12.45.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 12.46.07 AM.png

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Nyobie

Nyobie is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. The photos show the way I've been wrapping my cords - loosely and without bending them, but what I'm concerned about is that they can move around in the bag unknowingly and still get bent. Seems Apple might have a design opportunity to influence a better way to protect the 90 degree stub. The strain relief isn't very large and I think this could be problematic given the size of the charger relative to the cable. It's the smallest diameter cable I've ever seen for a laptop charger. I love it, but I just don't want it to get damaged even though I also bought a spare.

I used a hair scrunchie, wadded the loosely wound cord into a figure 8-like shape, then twisted the scrunchie once and wrapped the scrunchie around the charger. I guess I'll use this idea until something better comes along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0941.jpg (532.4 KB, 17 views)

15-inch MacBook Pro Retina
768GB SDD, 16GB RAM, 2.8GHz Intel i7 Quad Core
AirPort Time Capsule 3TB
iPad Retina, 64GB & iPhone 5, 64GB
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Also, use the over - under technique. The internal wires are small, and therefore more um.... Delicate.

The art of wrapping cable - Production Apprentice

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Over-under is what I use, only I start from one side of the brick to complete one side of the wrap, then flip for the other side.

I forgot to mention one thing. Those STUPID prongs that are built into the brick are a sure way to mess up your cables. They are far too close, and require short runs at tight angles for it to work, but people don't assume it's bad for the charger since it comes with it. It's absolute garbage for the life of your cable.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for old macintosh game | Post from the dead »