New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Magnetic charger caused fire

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Albanian

Albanian is on a distinguished road

My house recently caught fire and through numerous investigations the magnetic charger for my MacBook air was the cause, it was plugged into elec. socket but was not charging my MacBook, has anyone else had similar issues?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

There have been numerous reports of non-Apple "knock off" chargers catching fire. The Mac reseller store where I used to work stopped carrying them because of sparking/overheating/fire issues. This article discusses the issue, though it is about an iPhone charger -- you can safely assume the same corners are being cut in other "discount" chargers.

If you are 100% certain the charger was a genuine Apple charger, see if you can recover any remains of it and contact Apple, they would be most interested in this.
QUOTE Thanks
Albanian

Mine wasn't a knock off, I bought my MacBook in 2010 from best buy with the extended warranty, in December I took it back because the transformer on cord was heating up along with other issues with the MacBook & they sent it out & had it fixed ad then this happened.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

As I said, you should contact Apple in that case if you have any remnants of the charger available.
QUOTE Thanks
Albanian

My insurance co.'s lawyer has put Apple on notice, we are awaiting response.
QUOTE Thanks
Albanian

I submitted a statement on apples community forum & they deleted it, see below.

Recently you posted a poll or petition in Apple Support Communities. We are including a copy of your message at the end of this email for your reference. We understand the desire to share experiences in your topic, "My charger for my macbook air recently caused my house to catch fire, anybody else have similair issues? ," but because these posts are not allowed on our forums, we have removed it.

These forums are intended for technical questions that can be answered by the community. We want everyone to be able to contribute to our forums and have their issues addressed. We feel that we have a very strong community and that it is an excellent resource for users to get assistance. I encourage you to continue using the Apple Support Communities while abiding by our terms of use. The Apple Support Communities Use Agreement, which also includes helpful information about using Apple Support Communities, is located at https://discussions.apple.com/static...orial/tou.html

If you would like to share your experiences with Apple directly, you can submit feedback here: Apple - Feedback . As part of submitting feedback, please read the Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy linked to the feedback page.

Best Regards,
Apple Support Communities Staff

A copy of your message for reference:

My house recently caught fire & after numerous investigation the charger for my macbook air was the cause, has anyone else had a similair incident?

++++++++++

This message is sent from a send-only email account. Any replies sent to this address are deleted automatically by the system.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

This is hardly surprising -- they have no evidence whatsoever that you are telling the truth, and libel can potentially be a serious charge (let me be clear -- I'm not saying you are lying. I'm saying that what you posted can't be proven as of yet). They are certainly not going to allow an unsubstantiated post that would warrant legal action to stay on the board.

If I posted "I was having a problem with my MacBook and then I was diagnosed with cancer and I believe that my work with the MacBook caused that problem," they would remove such a post for the same reason. It may be the truth (or at least the truth as I perceive it), but it's an unsubstantiated charge in the meantime.

You need to let the lawyer do his job instead of damaging your case. There needs to be a formal investigation by the authorities to determine whether the charger was a genuine Apple charger, and whether the fire official was correct in their assessment of blame. If necessary, your insurance company will instigate legal action if it cannot come to a settlement in your case.

Let them do their job. Don't jump to conclusions based on second-hand information. Running around bad-mouthing Apple without documentation or proof will undermine your case and, to be frank, undermine your credibility. After you've won the case would be the time to bad-mouth Apple.

If you are looking for others who may have had the same experience, simply ask if anyone here has had any experience with an Apple charger catching fire, and if you get a response put them in touch with your attorney through a private message. Believe me, I am trying to help you as someone who has been through a similar type of case.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

This has nothing to do with any of our other forums and was moved here to our off topic area.

I suggest you take this up with Apple and or Best Buy as we are not affiliated with either one.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Albanian

Nobody was bad mouthing anyone, im a mac head & wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience & if so what happened, advice, that's what I thought community forums were for.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

No one has accused you of anything. We moved your post to this forum because it's off topic in our other forums. Note that we did not delete it as Apple did. You can receive whatever advice others have to offer in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Albanian

Thanx
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanian View Post
Nobody was bad mouthing anyone, im a mac head & wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience & if so what happened, advice, that's what I thought community forums were for.
No. To date, none of the MacBook Airs I have owned have burnt down any of my residences.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There were a few reports of chargers burning up on early Macbooks. Most was usually caused by rough handling of the MagSafe end and kinking the cable causing a short.

Just curious how serious was the fire to your house? How much damage? Were you careful with the cable and was it all frayed and kinked at all?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

What did BestBuy do to "fix" the charger, and why didn't you go to talk to them about it since they were the ones to mess with it? It's perfectly normal for the MagSafe chargers to heat up, and actually says this in the manual, as well as stating that the MagSafe needs to be in a well ventilated area. I would rather hire a monkey to work on my computer than pay BestBuy's Geek Squad to touch it.

Got some pictures of the fire/damage?

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So disappointed with AT&T | what to buy »