New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

CAC on a Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drewber

Drewber is on a distinguished road

Hi, y'all.
I am an Army officer, so I have to use a Common Access Card (CAC), which is what our ID cards are called, to gain access to all Army/National Guard websites.

I normally have to use Parallels and windows and internet excruciator to get to Army websites. (We cannot access these sites with user name and password)
I have a Microsystems SCR3310 v 2.0 Card Reader. The help sites say I need to update the reader firmware to version 5.2
Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone can explain in English, how to make the firmware change and make the CAC work on my Mac. It's not like I can't go to the dark side and use the sites with Paralles. I'd just like to do it in Safari, since I'm already there. I could totally drop the windows environment on my MacBook.

The websites that explain how to do these things are so convoluted and busy. I need simple.

I did buy a Thursby program, but I don't think it did much, or I did something wrong.

Thanks

Drew
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewber View Post
I normally have to use Parallels and windows and internet excruciator to get to Army websites. (We cannot access these sites with user name and password)
Hehe! That's a new one..

If you provide us with the links of the pages you've been reading, we can do the necessary translation to get you going on the Mac side of things..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I can't provide advice per se, other than to let you know a Marine at work has his 11" MBA set up with CAC access working. He has no issues, so it is doable at least in OS X 10.7 and 10.8.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewber View Post
Hi, y'all.
I normally have to use Parallels and windows and internet excruciator to get to Army websites.

Drew
Can't help with your problem but had a good laugh for the day. Never heard it called Internet Excruciator but agree completely.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I stumbled across this page which seems to have info on setting this up for Mountain Lion.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Drewber

Drewber is on a distinguished road

I'm glad everyone enjoyed my Internet Excruciator! LOL! It just came to me, as I was typing and thinking of how crappy of a browser it is. Like I said, I only use it, because the military sites all supports it. It's amazing how things never stay set. I've never had to make changes to Safari. But, I have to check in IE, which SSL or TSL or whatever is checked. So often, I have to reset these darn things before I am able to log into these sites. Very frustrating.

I will try what was suggested here and post some of the URLs, probably over the weekend.

Thanks

Drew
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Credit Card Theft (cookie problem) | So disappointed with AT&T »