New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Question about time capsule?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MBPi5

MBPi5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model

I'm thinking about getting a time capsule for my mac and i know that it is essentially a external hard drive, what i don't understand is what the job of the router is? i understand routers provide internet access through wifi. Does this work together with my existing ATT wireless service? or is it a separate network? can someone explain how this works?

13" Macbook Pro intel core i5
Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you don't have an existing router on your network the Time Capsule can do that. If you have a router you can disable this feature on either your router or the Time Capsule. You don't generally want to devices providing routing functions. Apple - Mac - AirPort Time Capsule

It should be able to join your existing wireless network or be used as a separate network. Which AT&T device do you have?

If you have an existing wireless network and all you really want is a network accessible hard drive there may be cheaper ways to do that?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MBPi5

Mac Specs: Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model

My AT&T device is a router provided in my UVerse package. I just don't know if the time capsule has its own wireless service or if it just acts as a router for my AT&T service.

Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you can tell me the model of your AT&T device I can be more specific about whether the time capsule would be appropriate. Here's what I can say.

1. Time Capsule's can act as routers but since your AT&T device does that you don't need the Time Capsule to do it also. Only one of them should be the router.

2. The Time Capsule can be set up to provide wireless access. Basically you connect the Time Capsule to the AT&T device and set up a wireless network using the Time Capsule.

Wireless access is not the same thing as wireless access. Think of the router as a "traffic cop". It directs information to and from the internet to the devices on your network. Wireless access simply means you can send information without being physically connected to your network.

If you can tell us more about your setup (what model AT & T device, what computers, etc). I am sure we can help. Also what are you trying to accomplish:
1. Access the Internet wirelessly
2. Use the Time Capsule as a backup device
3. Extend an existing wireless network

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MBPi5

What I'm asking is if I bought the time capsule (I already want to use it as an external hd) will i still need to pay AT&T for the wireless they provide? So the router is nothing without the service. Kinda like a phone with no carrier. Is this right?

Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBPi5 View Post
What I'm asking is if I bought the time capsule (I already want to use it as an external hd) will i still need to pay AT&T for the wireless they provide? So the router is nothing without the service. Kinda like a phone with no carrier. Is this right?
NO not at all. The TimeCapsule if you can connect to the ATT router/modem via ethernet and then set the Time Capsule up to Extend the Wireless network you all ready have.
I have this setup, and a full 234GB backup took only 5 hrs to the TC with TimeMachine.

Or you can set your TC up on the same network as the ATT wireless network and backup completely wirelessly which will take like forever.

You won't be charged anything extra, because you are using a existing wireless network to extend one is all

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MBPi5

So if I didn't have AT&T at all lets say. And I just bought the time capsule. THAT'S ALL I HAD. Then I wouldn't need to pay a monthly fee for wifi? I'm so confused.

Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

NO you STILL NEED a ISP which is ATT. You can't do without one of those. You need them for the internet, if you don't want internet then don't have ATT.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MBPi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBPi5 View Post

This is what I was getting at. The time capsules router function is useless without AT&T the ISP. Which you said was wrong, so that's why I'm confused I guess. I think I understand now haha

Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Ahh i get ya. If you just want to use it as a Backup, then there is no need for ATT. With the Timecapsule, you can set it up as Create New Wireless Network, Join a Existing wireless network or Extend a wireless network.
I use to have a Airport Express as my home Wireless network without the internet so i could sync devices. So NO you don't NEED ATT but if you want internet you do. Now i know what your going on about lol

QUOTE Thanks
MBPi5

Thanks for the help Hahaa usually I understand tech.

Iphone 4S.
SR
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AppleCare name change... | Credit Card Theft (cookie problem) »