New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Do you name your hard disks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Do you leave your hard disks with their boring defaults or personalise them?

My internal XT Momentus is 'Pippin', Time Machine iomega eGo is 'Braeburn' and my second Iomega eGo is partitioned into 'Bramley' and 'Gala'.

Well they are all 'Apples'!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My OS X partitions are:

MBP - Black Mask
MBA - Green Ghost

And my 2 home wifi networks are named rinkydink and horsepucky.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I forgot wifi. Mine is 'Nigel' as in Nigel Network. Bit boring compared to yours though bobtomay!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

You just gotta name everything! I have enclosures available for all my drives, so I find it easier to name it according to size and manufacturer. Might not be the most interesting names, but they are needed to keep my sanity.

Computers:
Macbook Pro 15"= "MBP OWC 240," "MBP OWC 120"
Macbook Pro 13"= "MBP OWC 120"
PowerMac= "PMWD500one," "PMWD500two"
XPS 720= "CrucialSSD128." "XPSWD500one," "XPSWD500two," "XPSWD500three"

External storage enclosures: "WD500one TimeMachine," "WD500two TimeMachine," "IB-Storage 80GB," "Fantom MBP BACKUPS WD500GB," "Fantom Files 80gb," "PHOTOS WD500GB," "HITACHI80GBFILES," "Seagate 250gb Random"

Routers:
NetGear N600#1 (basement)= "FBI SSI T1"(5ghz N), "FBI SSI T2"(2.4ghz N),
NetGear N600#2 (attic)= "FBI SSI T1"(5ghz N), "FBI SSI T2"(2.4ghz N), with network attached storage drive named "Pluto" because of it's impossibly far location away from everything else in my home.
Both netgear routers share matching connections for seamless movement throughout the house for best reception.

Arris modem/router (basement)= "FBI SSI T3"(b/g/n), for guests.

AT&T Microcell= "MicroCrapper"

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

In the past I have named computers, hard drives, and networks.

The basic names for hard drives have tended to be Aquaman for the boot drive. Causes some confusion though if you have two boot drives mounted (main and clone for example or current and older OS). Data drives tend to get named according to use such as Media.

Past computer names have often been NASA-related Challenger, Columbia, Enterprise (all laptops)/ Once had a Mac Pro named Bullwinkle.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I only name the computers, not the various parts in it..

My primary machine has been 'Dante' for as long as I can remember. My other machines have been named various combinations of Styx, Inferno, and so on..I think you see the theme..

My NAS is the 'Blackhole' since it devours everything that I don't need to be looking at all..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
orfew

orfew is on a distinguished road

...Hal
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

Oh my I'm so boring. hahahaha. I didnt put names. waaaa.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

My personal OS X laptop has moved from hardware to hardware over the years, but its internal drive always gets renamed to "MacGyver" (get it?).

The rest of my drives get called whatever strikes my fancy at the time. In the past I've had names pulled from Stargate SG1 characters, Silmarillion characters, US military aircraft and War of Northern Aggression generals.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post

The rest of my drives get called whatever strikes my fancy at the time. In the past I've had names pulled from Stargate SG1 characters, Silmarillion characters, US military aircraft and War of Northern Aggression generals.
War of Northern Aggression ROTFL

Which Silmarillion characters? Kudos for slogging through that book BTW.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

My thumb drive is called "The Sewer" and my MBP disk is called "Michaelangelo." The MBP itself is called "Cybertron" (I have a thing for nostalgia...).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

War f Northern Aggression is how my dad generally referred to it . . . haven't heard anyone else call it that.

I name mine, but usually boring names like "Media Files" or "MyBook Studio". Main reason is to tell which is which on the network.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You mean you didn't name them after me?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jebug29

jebug29 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 21" iMac - 4GB RAM - Intel Sandy Bridge i5

I usually keep my internal hard drive as its default (excluding my old Windows laptop). However, any external drive such as an ext. HDD or a flash drive I name - usually to my name.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Don't bother.

The so and so's will fail on you at the most inconvenient times so they don't deserve names other than %$^$#@ as appropriate!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The LORD of all hosts is greatest! | ACMT exam study guides »