Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best online backup program?
    Hi there,
    I'm a bit confused about all the online backup programs and can't figure out which one is best.
    This is my situation; I'm currently traveling and did only bring my iPad with me, and thought that I could just upload all my photos to my ipad. Unfortunately, I'm running out of space and the only solution I see, is to put all my old photos on a online backup, then delete the old photos on my iPad, so I'm able to upload the new photos to my iPad.
    I'm just not sure which program to use. I've been using iCloud and the free 5GB, so I could just upgrade my iCloud, but I just don't trust it 100% as I've experienced some problems with the Phtostream and find the iCloud photo backup thing a bit weird and confusing. Besides that, I'm not sure that if I delete the old photos on my iPad, that iCould automatically will put the old photos back on to my iPad again. I thought of Dropbox instead, but it just seems like it takes ages for it to upload the photos.
    Do you have any experience with this, or a solution to my problems?
    Thanks, Cristina.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    I think you are on the right track with Dropbox. I suspect the speed issue has more to do with your connection than the Dropbox site.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cri2zy View Post
    I thought of Dropbox instead, but it just seems like it takes ages for it to upload the photos.
    This is more about the connection speed than anything.

Dropbox's free plan only includes 2GB. If you need a lot of space and would like it to be free, you may want to look into either Skydrive (7GB for free) or Google Drive (5GB now but it will be sharing 15GB with GMail and Google+ at some point). Both of those services have apps as well for iOS. A bonus for Skydrive - it looks to have a photo album feature built in.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I thought of Dropbox instead, but it just seems like it takes ages for it to upload the photos.
    +1 for SkyDrive from Microsoft. On line storage service upload speed depends on: 1. Your upload speed 2. How busy their server is at the time you're uploading. If you upload late in the evening or very early in the morning, it should be faster.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Keep in mind, DropBox gives you multiple ways to increase your capacity for free by doing simple things such as: referring people, sharing via your smartphone, set your phones DropBox app to auto sync photos, sharing with facebook, and other similar things.
    I don't pay for DropBox, but I have 51.75GB of space available
    Screen Shot 2013-05-25 at 6.37.52 PM.png
    It's my go-to app for quick syncing, and use the photo auto-sync to store images I take on my phone so they end up on my MBP automatically. I use DropBox on all my computers and mobile devices, and they all sync seamlessly...it's pretty amazing that it's free and so easy to use via a simple file(also SkyDrive).

I also use SkyDrive and Google Drive. They work well too, but their more for redundancy.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    That's impressive. I've only managed to get up to 27.8 GB and a good chunk of that was, I believe, the 25 GB I got for purchasing an HTC One S.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    If Dropbox is not going to work, you could also check out iDrive. I think it's only 2GB for free, but that might have changed since I downloaded it. I use it to "backup" my important files.

Specs:
    15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
    Copy is pretty new and similar to dropbox. You get 15 gigs for free and more for getting others to join. I have only had it for a week and have 27 gigs.

I like it.

https://www.copy.com/home/

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Copy is giving away the most amount of space for free with very few hoops to jump through, so even if it doesn't end up being your long term solution, it's great to have the ~25GB you can get relatively easily and move your images onto that and keep going..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    I just signed up for it and I already have 17GB of free space. It also works across all the platforms I use (only Dropbox can also make that claim) so it might become my new cloud storage platform.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    I just signed up for it and I already have 17GB of free space. It also works across all the platforms I use (only Dropbox can also make that claim) so it might become my new cloud storage platform.

That's why I switched.. Love Copy

Specs:
    Yeah just because of the available size, I've been slowly shifting over to it slowly from Dropbox..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    The only thing I don't like is the lack of any indication that a file is being uploaded or downloaded. That and the non-native notifications. Those however are small issues that I can live with.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    The only thing I don't like is the lack of any indication that a file is being uploaded or downloaded. That and the non-native notifications. Those however are small issues that I can live with.
    When I install the Copy client on my iMac I got the origami icon on that top and it does have a small progress bar indicating that it's uploading/download, you don't get that?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Specs:
    Oh, I see it now. I guess I just hadn't uploaded anything large enough to warrant the progress bar. Now I see that it has it for each file as well. Hmmm, I have to say, this seems much better than Dropbox.

I do notice however that it's nowhere near as quick as Dropbox is when it comes to recognizing filesystem changes.
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information