Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
    Ban Internet news videos.
    Just joking, of course, but news videos are getting out of hand. Some subjects, such as the power of an F5 tornado can only be expressed visually - mere talk-talk about damage and injuries can't possibly have the impact of a visual image.

But, more and more often, I will find a news item headline that appears to be very interesting, don't notice the little camera icon and click on it, then realize that it is not an article, but a look-at-me movie. And not a video showing interesting... well, video stuff, but just one or two talking heads blabbing about the topic.

So I then google around trying to find a site with actual information about the news item, without the prima donna overlay.

If it were presented in a text article, I can read about what they are saying in one forth the time or less, don't have to wait for their server to finally hand out the stream - stopping at random intervals when it gets busy, don't have to listen to the fan in my Air start to overspeed trying to handle Flash, and... so on. Sometimes, the load time is longer than the length of the news item.

I assume that the reason is similar to politicians blabbing on TV, - in that case, usually on a topic that they have no clue about - they want face time, and this is a way to get it.

Lots of talking head time and (maybe) a few seconds of actual information.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I hate the ones that make you wait through a 30 second commercial every time you want to watch a 15 second news clip.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I hate the ones that make you wait through a 30 second commercial every time you want to watch a 15 second news clip.
    Couldn't agree more. I see enough commercials on TV.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I see enough commercials on TV.
    Commercials have totally destroyed FM radio. For decades before ipods and CDs, I would travel across the country always tuned to this or that station. The radio never got turned off.

Now it is just a solid stream of commercials interrupted by a bit of programming now and then.

TV has become the same. I finally gave up and sent my DirectTV receiver back. I realized that shortly the ad segments will add up to exactly half the broadcast time. Right now it is bad enough - sitting through one ad after another, saying to yourself that this one HAS to be the last, then come three more.

And if you like the old serials, (MASH comes to mind), to make the ad segments fit, they have to cut out more and more of the episode to make room. So you wind up looking at jokes without the punchline, punchlines without the joke, characters who suddenly appear with no intro, or disappear for no reason.

Movies are the same way. I have watched some that I remembered from years ago being really good, then decided that my tastes must have changed, since it was no longer very entertaining. Then realized that a forth of it was carved out to not only fit the time slot, but to sell more crap.

Netflix and stacks of 50 cent used DVDs are all I watch now, moviewise.

Of course, if aliens land on the White House lawn, I will go to my neighbors to watch their TV. Hopefully, when the part about "Take us to your leader" comes, they won't have cut to a soap commercial.

Specs:
    MBP 15in Mid 2012(2.6 GHz Intel Core i7), iPhone 6 Plus 128GB,iPad 4 128GB,iPod Touch 4G 64GB
    Commercials
    Commercials are why Netflix is my best friend!
    "A wise man told me don't argue with fools,
    because people from a distance can't tell who is who
    "

Specs:
    There are three other things driving me to distraction with TV these days to the point that I even tried a couple of the Internet TV applications:

1. It was bad enough when station logos were static and took up part of one corner of the screen now some are larger, dynamic, and promote upcoming events/ One one History/Military channel show I was watching the subtitles were partially covered by these things.

2. Channels which are no longer about what they claim to be about. We have both the History Channel and H2. One used to focus on American History and the other tended to do international history. Recently both seem to be devoting more time to things that can't quite be called history.

3. In order to get the channels I like and watch I have to pay for a tier that includes many channels I never watch. Sorry Golf Channel, Soap Opera network etc.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    3. In order to get the channels I like and watch I have to pay for a tier that includes many channels I never watch. Sorry Golf Channel, Soap Opera network etc.
    I subscribe to Verizon FIOS mainly for the high speed internet but we also have their TV service. I have something like 300 channels (not counting the music channels) of which only 25 or so are worth watching. If I could figure a way to get high speed internet without having to subscribe, I'd get rid of Verizon all together and put my rabbit ears back up.

And I agree with member "cptkrf" about FM radio. It's turned into pure commercials and junk. I was tempted for awhile to subscribe to "Sirius" satellite radio but am not sure if the monthly fee is worth it. Most of their channels are as bad as Verizon's.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I was tempted for awhile to subscribe to "Sirius" satellite radio but am not sure if the monthly fee is worth it. Most of their channels are as bad as Verizon's.
    Same here. Finally figured out that about the only time we would use it is traveling - which we don't do often. No point in getting the Sirius gizmo for my home stereo. There's enough in my iTunes open or I'm playing something from my collection.

I'm debating taking a serious look at the radio option Apple announced. Won't use it much on the iPhone (250 MB data plan). Besides, for most of the day I'm in the classroom so no need for radio there.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Rant:
    See post 1
    See post 2

Rant over.

Thank goodness for the DVR! Doesn't help for online content, but it does cut more commercials out of my life. I've been known to watch two live football games at the same time. Pause one, watch the other (already paused) until a change of possession, switch back, etc.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Love my Dish hopper for that - with auto skip over commercials on all the 4 major networks - don't even have to pick up the remote.

Specs:
    1. It was bad enough when station logos were static and took up part of one corner of the screen now some are larger, dynamic, and promote upcoming events/ One one History/Military channel show I was watching the subtitles were partially covered by these things.
    I had forgotten about that growing problem that made me check that I didn't have any heavy objects in reach.

Nothing like concentrating on a good movie, usually in a dark room, waiting for the dark monster to jump out of a dark cavity, then having a bright yellow logo or Coming Next splatter itself in a lower quarter of the screen. Or worse yet, march back and forth across the bottom.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
    ... Or worse yet, march back and forth across the bottom.
    ala SYFY network - really, really obnoxious

Don't they get that we're already watching their channel - just who do they think they're advertising to?

Specs:
    I knew this had gotten out of hand when I realized the commercials were taking over: They started taking precedence over severe weather information.

I was watching one of the networks a while back when a severe weather alert came across as a "crawler" on the screen. The first think I noticed is that the alert tone only beeps a couple of times before you don'r hear it anymore. Then I noticed that after a few minutes a commercial comes on and the "crawler" disappears. Did someone think the storm was going to pause until the commercial break was over. I realize that they con't forgo commercials for the entire time the storm warning is up but surely they can leave the crawler up during the commercial.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    ... surely they can leave the crawler up during the commercial.
    Well, technically, I'm sure it's possible. But contractually, maybe not.

Specs:
    But that is my point exactly. The various contractual obligations, and desire to sell as much commercial time as possible, appear to be taking precedence over more pressing concerns (in this case safety).

Thread Information