Thread: Universal Binaries for Widgets?
01-31-2006, 04:28 PM #1
Universal Binaries for Widgets?
- Member Since
- Mar 20, 2005
- Michigan, USA
- 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I just got this email, and am wondering why a widget would need a universal binary, aren't they all just packaged websites?
From: Alan Samuel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: January 31, 2006 3:17:37 PM GMT-05:00
To: Alan Samuel <email@example.com>
Subject: Action Required: Submit your Universal Products
Customers are receiving Intel-based Macs now and are hungry for Universal versions of their applications, Automator actions, Spotlight plugins, and/or Dashboard widgets.
Apple's Mac OS X Downloads pages and the Macintosh Products Guide are the best places to post information about your shipping products (since they receive millions of unique hits per week) and we've now added the ability for you to indicate that your product is Universal, making it easy for customers to find Universal products.
If you have a Universal Binary of your widget ready for customers do the following:
1) Visit <http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/submit/> and <http://guide.apple.com/submit/> ASAP to re-submit or update an existing posting and let us know that your widget already is Universal.
2) If you have a quote for <http://www.apple.com/universal/applications/> about your commitment to a Universal version of your application, please send it to me.
3) If you have a quote about improved performance of your product on the new Intel-based iMac, please send it to me.
If you DO NOT have a Universal Binary of your product ready for customers do the following:
1) Contact me immediately and let me know what we can do to help.
2) If you haven't already told me about 3rd party dependencies you have, please do so now. If you've already told me about a dependency, assume I'm working on it.
Thanks for all the effort you're putting in to developing products for Mac OS X. We truly appreciate it!
Alan Samuel firstname.lastname@example.org
Java, Dashboard & .MacSDK Evangelist v 408-974-8010
Apple Worldwide Developer Relations f 408-974-8101
1 Infinite Loop, MS 303-2EV http://developer.apple.com/java
Cupertino, CA 95014 http://www.apple.com/developer
02-01-2006, 08:24 AM #2
- Member Since
- Mar 09, 2004
- Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Psst: You might want to remove the personal information there...
Perhaps some widgets are universal by nature, but others are tied into the system more, and so need a recompile?
02-01-2006, 12:34 PM #3
- Member Since
- Feb 25, 2003
- Tropical Island, Jealous?
- MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I believe a simple recompile in Universal will solve the problem. But they are widgets so rossetta will solve that.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By wsoong in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 5Last Post: 10-18-2009, 03:39 AM
By cheesybanana in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 5Last Post: 02-19-2007, 11:56 PM
By Oh Henry! in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 3Last Post: 02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
By mac57 in forum OS X - Development and DarwinReplies: 3Last Post: 06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
By apt in forum Web Design and HostingReplies: 5Last Post: 08-22-2005, 07:57 AM