New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

What do you (will you) call your in-laws?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

So, if you don't have in-laws, pick the answer that you think you'll use to address them. If you aren't married, but know your significant other's parents well, you'll have to comment in a post if you think how you address them would change in the event of a wedding taking place.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I'm not married, but I will most likely either call them by their first name or avoid using their names.
QUOTE Thanks
MQAAord

MQAAord is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e

First name basis. They're not my parents, I refuse to use the terms "mom & dad" for anyone other than MY mom & dad. I think I may have slipped and called his grandma "grandma" a few times, but I don't have a problem with that because she's a nice old lady and I already have two grandmas anyway so why not a 3rd!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Mum for the female of the inlay, and first name for the Dad. Calling mum, mum will go down well with the missus and she will see your comfortable wither and the family, and dad because thats manly to do. Thats the way i do it, even with girlfriends. I always call her mum, mum and they all love it

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

This will vary for different kinds of people. I very happily call my wife's mother "mom". It feels natural. I love her very much, and to be honest, I even like her more than my own mother. Some of us have parents whom aren't exactly the nicest people in the world, and whether or not that sounds nice, it's just the reality of it.

It also depends on how close you feel with your in-laws. Not everybody will feel that way, so just do what feels right, and don't worry so much about a title.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
...I even like her more than my own mother. Some of us have parents whom aren't exactly the nicest people in the world, and whether or not that sounds nice, it's just the reality of it.
You know what they say..."You can pick your friends...but you can't pick your relatives!"

I have a number of relatives I could do without!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
This will vary for different kinds of people. ...
It also depends on how close you feel with your in-laws. Not everybody will feel that way, so just do what feels right, and don't worry so much about a title.
Of course. I'm just curious what other people do. I go with the avoidance mostly, once in awhile I used the Grand route when our kids were young. Now I have a daughter-in-law, and she wanted to know how she should address me, and my wife of course. I said not "Mr. ___" for sure. So, with no grandkids, that left first name or Dad. When she writes (like in a card) she uses "Dad" - with the quotes. In person it's avoidance, which is fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

Last if at all possible, second to last if my daughter is around, and by their names in polite company.

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

If it's family, I don't like. I'll probably refer to them as "those people".
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I call my MIL "Mom" as she seems to like it best and she told me to do so once my wife and I became engaged long ago. She's 87 and I'm more interested in what makes her feel good than whatever hangups or baggage I have associated with names or salutations. We have little in common and even less to talk about, so I figure if calling her "Mom" gives some sort of satisfaction to the relationship for her, so much the better. I was raised with the whole "respect your elders" 10 commandments thing, so I'd probably call her whatever she wanted me to. Hell, it's free so why not?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

First name bases because calling them Mr. & Mrs is really way too formal. You are part of the family whether they like it or not. XD Plus they aren't your parents so I wouldn't call them mom & dad unless you are really close and your parents died or something.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I regard this as a family forum, so I will not say.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi
QUOTE Thanks
Murasaki

Murasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.

As I have respect for my elders I will call them mom and dad, My first wife was Chinese and the second was Japanese and in both cultures you call the in-laws mum and dad.

Honour and respect first in my books.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I call them by their first names, but it still feels a little awkward to me because I rarely address them that way and never took the initiative to first it out early on.

My opinion, if you still are in the early stages, is to call them Mr. and Mrs. "last name" and then let them correct you and tell you how to address them. If it's been almost 3 years like it has been for me, I have no idea, but would take the advice of others too!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I call them by their first names, but it still feels a little awkward to me because I rarely address them that way and never took the initiative to first it out early on.

My opinion, if you still are in the early stages, is to call them Mr. and Mrs. "last name" and then let them correct you and tell you how to address them. If it's been almost 3 years like it has been for me, I have no idea, but would take the advice of others too!
No one has voted for Mr. and Mrs. Sweetie's parents. I think perhaps that is appropriate when meeting the parents prior to or after a first date, and throughout courtship, to use an antiquated term. But once the relationship between you and this couple's offspring goes beyond the "just dating" stage, that would become awkward.

I'm at the stage that my kids have grown up and are not with us when we visit my in-laws, so the old "Grand" approach doesn't fly any more. Having never called my in-laws by their first names, I'm not about to start that now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Computer Security | Memorial Day »