New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Adobe to only "rent" creative software


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
infocusinc

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 186
infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

infocusinc is offline
What do your think about this?

Adobe kills Creative Suite, moves all products to be Creative Cloud-only - News - Digital Arts

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,433
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
I haven't fully read the article or how Adobe plans on implementing it, but if it's something structured in a way of a true "rent", that is, you start the subscription and get access to all the tools and use them for as long as you need them and if you think you won't be using it for a while, you suspend the subscription and the applications fail to work anymore and once you need them again you get the subscription..

If it's something like that, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would jump on that band wagon to be able to use a professional-grade suite of applications for little money on the a monthly basis for as long as they need it rather than spend the big money for the entire suite..

--
Regards
...Ashwin



Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 186
infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

infocusinc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
I haven't fully read the article or how Adobe plans on implementing it, but if it's something structured in a way of a true "rent", that is, you start the subscription and get access to all the tools and use them for as long as you need them and if you think you won't be using it for a while, you suspend the subscription and the applications fail to work anymore and once you need them again you get the subscription..

If it's something like that, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would jump on that band wagon to be able to use a professional-grade suite of applications for little money on the a monthly basis for as long as they need it rather than spend the big money for the entire suite..
That might play out ok for the casual user for sure. Not sure I like it as a professional who uses the stuff everyday. The problem I see is oyu never have any legacy software to use if you decide to stop paying. With a perpetual license your feature set is fixed, but the software continues to work ( and you are able to open the files you create) for as long as you have OS/hardware that still works with the software.

And it's expensive long term, double the cost after the first year for a Photoshop user for example.

I don't really like the subscription business model, even though we are forced to us it in many cases for other services.

This has many in the creative industry up in arms. Will be interesting to see how this plays out long term.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,433
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
Yeah I imagine from a professional users perspective, where they will essentially use it constantly, the cost can be quite high and I imagine that Adobe is betting on that demographic to make a sustaining stream of revenue..

However, this also opens the door for other applications to step into the spotlight that Adobe has been hogging for a long time..

--
Regards
...Ashwin



Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 186
infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

infocusinc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Yeah I imagine from a professional users perspective, where they will essentially use it constantly, the cost can be quite high and I imagine that Adobe is betting on that demographic to make a sustaining stream of revenue..

However, this also opens the door for other applications to step into the spotlight that Adobe has been hogging for a long time..
I would love to see a viable professional photography solution other than Photoshop. This just might be the door opener.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,601
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocusinc View Post
I would love to see a viable professional photography solution other than Photoshop. This just might be the door opener.
I hope so.

Renting is not for me. If I want something for more than occasional use I want to own it. And, honestly, my needs are still limited. Lightroom with PSE and a few plugins is more than I can get the best use out of at the moment.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,769
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
The master collection will run you $2100 (source) so at $50/mo, it will take you 42 months to spend the same amount. As of CS5.5, Adobe moved to a yearly release cycle. Given that you get updated apps automatically (as far as I can tell), this actually sounds like a deal.

I think this Ars article sums it up nicely: "An individual license for Photoshop CS6 will run you $699 at full price, but a two-year subscription to the software at $20 a month will cost only $480. The Master Collection of the suite goes for $2599, but a two-year subscription would run you a comparatively meager $1200." And really, in the grand scheme of things, how will this make any difference in the day to day experiences with the software? You save money and still get to use the software without limitations.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

 
harryb2448's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 28, 2007
Location: Nambucca Heads Australia
Posts: 17,303
harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

harryb2448 is offline
So called renting may well be the way of the future. Adobe has introduced it and the new version of Office, Office 365, is a form of rent with an annual $99 charge. And the EULA agreement for Mountain lion advises the software is 'licensed' to us and not sold.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,601
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The master collection will run you $2100 (source) so at $50/mo, it will take you 42 months to spend the same amount. As of CS5.5, Adobe moved to a yearly release cycle. Given that you get updated apps automatically (as far as I can tell), this actually sounds like a deal.

I think this Ars article sums it up nicely: "An individual license for Photoshop CS6 will run you $699 at full price, but a two-year subscription to the software at $20 a month will cost only $480. The Master Collection of the suite goes for $2599, but a two-year subscription would run you a comparatively meager $1200." And really, in the grand scheme of things, how will this make any difference in the day to day experiences with the software? You save money and still get to use the software without limitations.
And, I wouldn't have as much trouble with the pricing except I (and most photographers) don't need the full suite (not even close). But, your choices are 1 App for $20 or the suite for $50 a month.
The problem is I need 2 APPs, Lightroom and Photoshop. For now you can buy Lightroom as a stand alone, but as we see, that can change.
Also, I don't know anyone who upgrades their major software packages yearly.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 186
infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

infocusinc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The master collection will run you $2100 (source) so at $50/mo, it will take you 42 months to spend the same amount. As of CS5.5, Adobe moved to a yearly release cycle. Given that you get updated apps automatically (as far as I can tell), this actually sounds like a deal.

I think this Ars article sums it up nicely: "An individual license for Photoshop CS6 will run you $699 at full price, but a two-year subscription to the software at $20 a month will cost only $480. The Master Collection of the suite goes for $2599, but a two-year subscription would run you a comparatively meager $1200." And really, in the grand scheme of things, how will this make any difference in the day to day experiences with the software? You save money and still get to use the software without limitations.
You left out the most important part of the article....

"If you don't qualify for upgrade or educational pricing (and thus pay full price for Adobe's applications), and if you plan to upgrade to each and every new version as it is released (assuming a new version comes out every two years or so, as has been the case for the last few major updates)"

I currently have 4 licenses for Photoshop and have been a license owner since v2 ( a way long time ago) . I pay a $200 upgrade fees for each license every 2 years or so.

Lets do the math. 2 year cost of upgrade license and retaining WORKING legacy software for 4 licenses...$800.

2 year CC "rent" of 4 Photoshop licenses with NO working software at the end of the term...$1920

So I pay over double and in the end I have nothing, if I decide to get off the treadmill, not even a way to open the files produced with the software if they are layered files (as mine usually are)

That's how it effects the day to day use of the software...there is no get out of Adobe jail card. You are stuck.

Long term this is a really crappy move by Adobe which will negatively effect small users, and I work for and with a LOT of them. An Ad Agency owner told me his software costs have just doubled and it will now cost him 50 bucks a month for each seat and he has 10 seats to license...500 bucks a month.

Long term I think this opens the doors to some competition. As it stands it sucks, bigtime.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 186
infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

infocusinc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
So called renting may well be the way of the future. Adobe has introduced it and the new version of Office, Office 365, is a form of rent with an annual $99 charge. And the EULA agreement for Mountain lion advises the software is 'licensed' to us and not sold.
Won't be for me. I'll find other alternatives.

Surely you also understand the difference between a perpetual license to use and a time limited one....

Lets put it this way. Are you willing to pay whatever monthy fee for Mountain Lion and if you decide to stop paying, your computer no longer boots?

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,433
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
Being in the situation that Adobe is (with essential command of the professional graphic design/photographer market), you'd think that they would try a different approach. Continue the regular releases of their creative suites with the current pricing for the professionals and offer a subscription based service like what they are thinking for those not willing to fork over the big bucks without knowing if it'll work for them long term..

With enough use of the subscription based service, people who end up using it often/frequently enough might upgrade to the standalone at the higher one-time price and move on..

This seems like a great way to continue support for the numerous existing users and potentially add new users to the base...

--
Regards
...Ashwin



Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,769
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocusinc View Post
I currently have 4 licenses for Photoshop and have been a license owner since v2 ( a way long time ago) . I pay a $200 upgrade fees for each license every 2 years or so.

Lets do the math. 2 year cost of upgrade license and retaining WORKING legacy software for 4 licenses...$800.

2 year CC "rent" of 4 Photoshop licenses with NO working software at the end of the term...$1920
Fair enough. You make a valid point - I don't use CS in any way (I couldn't care less about artistic creation) and I admit that I hadn't thought through the costs of multiple seats in an environment with upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocusinc View Post
That's how it effects the day to day use of the software...there is no get out of Adobe jail card.
Yes there is - stop using their products. I realize that this may be difficult but really, if the cost is that prohibitive, you'll either have to absorb it or explore alternatives. I don't know what those are however (again, don't use this type of software).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Being in the situation that Adobe is (with essential command of the professional graphic design/photographer market), you'd think that they would try a different approach.
As I see it, this is exactly why they aren't trying a different approach. They gain more control and, evidently, grow revenue streams. Sounds perfect for them.

So, I see that the only Adobe product I use (Flash Builder) is now part of the CC suite. However, they still sell perpetual licenses for it. Fantastic.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2011
Posts: 186
infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

infocusinc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post

Yes there is - stop using their products. I realize that this may be difficult but really, if the cost is that prohibitive, you'll either have to absorb it or explore alternatives. I don't know what those are however (again, don't use this type of software).
Uh no, that's not a STOP if you ever buy into CC. You are left dead ended if you decide to get of the treadmill. Period.

Its only a stop if you CHOOSE to never get on the CC train in the first place.

Looking elsewhere is clearly an option that many have decided to explore. Hey its Adobes ball, and they can play it anyway they choose. Just as consumers can take their money and run. Personally I don't think that Adobes cares one whit. It's all about smoothing out cashflow in my opinion. Good for them.

If I find what I need in the next 18 months while I continue to work with my paid for
licenses (or longer if the hardware and OS will allow) I'll be done with them. I'm quite sure they won't miss me or even care.


Quote:
"So, I see that the only Adobe product I use (Flash Builder) is now part of the CC suite. However, they still sell perpetual licenses for it. Fantastic.
Hold on to that thought....and be prepared for your ox to get gored...

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Can you enjoy life without money? | Recommend a used Intel Mac tower for me... »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?