Val
    Please! Can anyone help Installing downloads
    I just purchase an iBook 12" and I'm have trouble installing downloaded programs such as yahoo msg or msn msg. When I double click on the file a program such as Quicken comes up and ask me to purchase this product. I deleted Quicken and now other programs come up like QuickTime with a msg saying it doesn't recognize the program I'm trying to install. Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS? Val

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    What is the extension of the file you are trying to open? If it's .sit you need to download and install the free Stuffit Expander. Once that is installed, you can open your .sit files. If the file extension is something else, let me know.

Here is the URL to download Stuffit Expander. It's a DMG image.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/182

Specs:
    iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express
    If you want a good msn program try amsn. That seems to do the trick if you want webcam. Or go to windows website they do a mac version but it isnt as good - just thought ide let you know

topshot
    For instant messaging, Adium is a good one to try. You can have multiple accounts signed in . As for the files, I agree with travis.

Val
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7
    What is the extension of the file you are trying to open? If it's .sit you need to download and install the free Stuffit Expander. Once that is installed, you can open your .sit files. If the file extension is something else, let me know.

Here is the URL to download Stuffit Expander. It's a DMG image.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/182
    The yahoo msg is now a .bin file but at first it had a .dmg extension.
    Val

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    so do you get that same error when clicking on the .bin file? If so, you need stuffit expander.

Val
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7
    so do you get that same error when clicking on the .bin file? If so, you need stuffit expander.
    Yes I do get the same error. Quicktime message box pops up and says, it doesn't recognize the program.

topshot
    This is to do with companies that just haven't quite learnt how to develop in Xcode. They still use old packaging programs that were built for OS 9. Only way around it is to use stuffit or some other extraction program. Or better still, if they aren't packaging in proper DMG files leave them alone. They are probably crap conversions of OS 9 apps anyway. You'll see what I mean when you finally get it open.

Thread Information