New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

What's your favorite beers of all time?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm on this kick for trying out new beers and thought this would be a good thread start and see what others like. I'm not talking about the typical US domestic swill here. I'll start off with some of my favorites.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout.
This is a pretty good dark beer that was in my top 3 list for a few years now until recently.

Crooked Line Oak Jacked Pumpkin Ale.
I love pumpkin anything (bread, muffins, pies, you name it) and have long looked forward to a good pumpkin ale when fall rolls around. I first discovered this a few months ago and it is one of the tastiest pumpkin ales ever made. It has a strong taste of honey to it and is aged in oak barrels. which adds to the flavor. It's truly amazing.

New Belgium Imperial Coffee Stout
I first tried this a few months ago also on the recommendation of a co-worker. I'd already developed a taste for coffee stouts, thanks to one that Sam Adams put out a couple years ago, and to another by Kona Brewing. This one makes those look like tap water.

Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout
This is currently my favorite. By far. No contest at all. I like oatmeal stouts (Sam Smith comes to mind) but this is a whole new level of deliciousness. It's aged in whiskey barrels, and you can taste the hint of whiskey in this beer. I HIGHLY recommend it. It has won a couple awards, and it totally deserved them.

Uinta Dubhe
This is a dark IPA brewed with hemp seed. I don't normally like bitter beers, but this one is pretty good once you get past that.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Many years ago while in Japan I drank Sapporo dark and Kirin dark, both of which had a very stout taste. Very similar to Heineken.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Wow, this could get to be a very... very... VERY long subject

In general though, I drink locally. So I have different favorites for each place I've been. Oh also the weather plays into effect..

For instance, on a cold, wet day.. I'll go for a schwarzbier, or a extra stout, on a warm day, a hefeweisen or a good pils.. etc. (hrm, I must be readying myself to be back in Germany)

Oh, and if you happen to be in a brew pub... get the sampler (every one I've been in has one, even if it's not on the menu).

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Founders Backwoods Bas***rd Ale.
It's awesome.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

The issue is you like English stouts so nothing I could recommend you'd like. German bocks are different than english stouts, You don't like bitter beers so you knock out many varieties of Pils and Keller biers.

Try a Tucher Wiezen if you see one. I like much of the Flying Dog line. I like Founders because I'm from West Michigan, along the same lines I like Old Peninsula and Bells if you in the neighborhood. Good beer comes in all gravities and colors don't limit yourself to the english stouts

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.4, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 7, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Theakston's Old Peculiar

Reverend James

And for warm summer days: Stella Artois or San Miguel

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should mention San Miguel. A great tasting tropical beer if purchased in the Philippines where it was originally brewed. I drank enough of it while in Manila. When exported, it does not have the same taste.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

About fifteen years ago I got into Homebrewing and kept it up for a number of years.

The third batch I brewed was awesome, dark and rich and sweet, with a creamy head. I shared some with friends who raved about it and asked me to brew some specially for them.

Unfortunately I was never able to quite replicate it.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
About fifteen years ago I got into Homebrewing and kept it up for a number of years.
I knew some folks in NY where I grew up who used to do the same thing. My dad even experimented in our basement with various mixes and such. Some of what he brewed was pretty good - but not as good as the "White Lightning" stuff I remember buying when passing through Upstate NY many years ago. We used to call it "Apple Jack" but the kick it had was more like a jack-hammer.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I quit drinking completely 7 years ago. When I did drink, it was mainly Guinness Extra Stout interspersed with Glenlivet. Of course I never had a problem "slumming it" with Hamms and Smirnoff when circumstances dictated such. Still, after years of drinking "liquid bread", everything else seemed weak.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
The issue is you like English stouts so nothing I could recommend you'd like. German bocks are different than english stouts, You don't like bitter beers so you knock out many varieties of Pils and Keller biers.
There is no "issue". I've had a few bocks over the years and like them perfectly fine. The only one I can specifically name at the moment is Aass Bock. Aass (pronounced like "house" minus the "h", iirc) is a Norwegian brewery. About 10 years ago, I decided to look into Norwegian brews out of curiosity, being of Norwegian descent. It was very hard to come by then (I found a single place I could order it from and have shipped), and currently appears to be unavailable in the US. That's a shame because I recall liking their bock a lot and would like to try it again.

At any rate, my list was by no means comprehensive... just what was on my mind at the moment. I also intended for this thread to be a general sharing of what we all like, not just what I might like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
I've been telling myself for the past 15 years that I want to try homebrewing. I'm pretty sure I'd suck at it though.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I've been telling myself for the past 15 years that I want to try homebrewing. I'm pretty sure I'd suck at it though.
I enjoyed it. Can be very labor intensive, and the results are HIGHLY variable with small variations in technique and ingredients.

My plan is to someday (after retirement) try it again. Gave it up before because we had gotten involved in a ministry of our church helping folks struggling with substance abuse and didn't seem to be an appropriate hobby given that.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
When exported, it does not have the same taste.
Exported beers never seem to taste really good. I'm starting to believe that myth about Guinness (that it tastes better the closer one is to Ireland) applies to all beers.

I have a really hard time picking a few. I'm notorious for going to a pub and picking beers on the menu that I've never heard of which happens a lot since there seems to be a few decent pubs around me that have decent selections. I usually end up liking most but some do require a bit of patience. For instance, it took me some time to "grow into" Guinness and Steam Whistle (a microbrew pilsner out of Toronto).

I will admit though that I really can't do light beers. And don't get me started on these beer/fruit hybrids...

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
three8one

three8one is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"/2.5GHz/8Gb/1Tb - iMac 21.5"/2.7GHz/8Gb/1Tb

Hoegaarden

MacBook Pro 13"
iMac 21"
Asus Nexus 7 32Gb
iPhone 4S 16Gb iOS7
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I prefer the dark beers, so I suspect lifeisabeach and I would get along famously were we to meet up. I particularly enjoy Oatmeal Stouts but haven't had the one he mentions.

I definitely second the notion that beer is best fresh and local ... I had a Sam Adams in Boston many years ago and was QUITE AMAZED at the inferior quality of the one I had in Florida later.

Here on Vancouver Island we have a few breweries and I've grown fond of Phillips Blue Buck, an amber ale. When I can't get local or don't want one, I tend to stick to Guinness, McEwan's, and Samuel Smith choices so as not to waste money, but if there's a local dark beer around I'll take a chance on it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best online backup program? | New Gmail update »