New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

So disappointed with AT&T

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maria255

Maria255 is on a distinguished road

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T.... since July 2008. I currently have an iPhone 5. Since November AT&T has been telling me that they were extending FaceTime Over Cellular to ALL customers... even those with a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Now all of a sudden I am being told that is not true.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you've ever had anyone tell you that Facetime would come to the grandfathered plans they didn't know what they were talking about.

Have 2 phones grandfathered - that plan does not offer that service - that plan also has to pay an extra fee for texting while it is included in the new limited plans.

The reps I have talked to here in the DFW area have been very consistent related to Facetime and if you want it, you will have to switch to a limited plan.
Sucks to be us.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I would trade my ability to Face Time over cellular for unlimited data any day! But I guess it depends on your priorities. It's one or the other, you make the choice.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I am on Verizon and can FaceTime on cellular with my grandfathered unlimited plan, try calling AT&T and see what they have to say.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Let's first understand that AT&T wants you to give up that grandfathered plan. Very badly. So they are not going to do ANYTHING whatsoever to make it attractive or easy to stay with your plan.

Now that that's understood ...

Ask yourself how often you really NEED to do FaceTime when there's no Wi-Fi nearby. Maybe your circumstances are different, but where I live (in a modest-sized though capital city) there's barely any need for cellular data at all! Nearly everywhere I go we have Wi-Fi; my house, friends' house, every coffeeshop and cafe, all of the downtown core, the mall, etc.

On top of that, FT burns through data like almost nothing else, so unless your plan was incredibly generous it would again be an option you'd only want to use sparingly if at all.

Only you know your situation but if there's Wi-Fi nearby where you usually are, I'd suggest sticking with the grandfathered plan and saving FaceTime for Wi-Fi only (better quality anyway, unless you'e on LTE).
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Both Sprint and Verizon have allowed FaceTime to all users.

AT&T - no FaceTime, no tethering, and no texting without paying extra for the privilege to anyone that still has the unlimited plan.

Think I will go visit T-Mobile today.

QUOTE Thanks
Maria255

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If you've ever had anyone tell you that Facetime would come to the grandfathered plans they didn't know what they were talking about.

Have 2 phones grandfathered - that plan does not offer that service - that plan also has to pay an extra fee for texting while it is included in the new limited plans.

The reps I have talked to here in the DFW area have been very consistent related to Facetime and if you want it, you will have to switch to a limited plan.
Sucks to be us.
I was told on at least two separate occasions ..... by two different reps.....that my grandfathered in unlimited data plan was eligible for FaceTime Over Cellular
QUOTE Thanks
Maria255

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitjetta View Post
I am on Verizon and can FaceTime on cellular with my grandfathered unlimited plan, try calling AT&T and see what they have to say.
I doubt they are going to do anything for me .... but I suppose I can give it a try. But switching to Verizon the next time I update my iPhone is starting to look better and better. It
QUOTE Thanks
Maria255

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Let's first understand that AT&T wants you to give up that grandfathered plan. Very badly. So they are not going to do ANYTHING whatsoever to make it attractive or easy to stay with your plan.

Now that that's understood ...

Ask yourself how often you really NEED to do FaceTime when there's no Wi-Fi nearby. Maybe your circumstances are different, but where I live (in a modest-sized though capital city) there's barely any need for cellular data at all! Nearly everywhere I go we have Wi-Fi; my house, friends' house, every coffeeshop and cafe, all of the downtown core, the mall, etc.

On top of that, FT burns through data like almost nothing else, so unless your plan was incredibly generous it would again be an option you'd only want to use sparingly if at all.

Only you know your situation but if there's Wi-Fi nearby where you usually are, I'd suggest sticking with the grandfathered plan and saving FaceTime for Wi-Fi only (bett
er quality anyway, unless you'e on LTE).

You are probably correct .. they want me to give up my unlimited data plan. Do I REALLY need to have FaceTime Over Cellular? The answer is probably not. However, it would have been nice to be able to use it on a limited basis when I was no where near Wi-Fi.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria255 View Post
I was told on at least two separate occasions ..... by two different reps.....that my grandfathered in unlimited data plan was eligible for FaceTime Over Cellular
Don't doubt that for a second.

I am also sure that half (or more) of the reps don't know nearly as much as they should about the devices nor the plans they're selling. Sort of like going to Best Buy and expecting their sales staff to be able to answer questions related to computers, TVs, etc. Not gonna happen.

QUOTE Thanks
Maria255

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Both Sprint and Verizon have allowed FaceTime to all users.

AT&T - no FaceTime, no tethering, and no texting without paying extra for the privilege to anyone that still has the unlimited plan.

I have to seriously think about switching to Verizon the next time I update my iPhone. I think the thing that makes me so angry is that I feel I was lied to. I SPECIFICALLY kept asking if my grandfathered-in- unlimited data plan was eligible. I was told by two or three different reps that it WAS!! They should have been honest with me from the beginning.

AT&T .. might want me to switch out of my unlimited data plan. They may very well have succeeded in getting me to switch ...... to VERIZON. AT&T obviously does not appreciate my business or loyalty.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The bad part if you or I switch from the grandfathered plan to any of their other plans to get FT or Tethering it will cost more technically you get less way to go AT&T.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Simple really. You can leave them, jailbreak, or use your plan as you ORIGINALLY agreed upon when signing your contract.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I'm tempted. But I keep thinking about the cost of two iPhone 5s and the monthly fees to pay for those beauties plus data for two lines. May not have any choice though... my wife's brother and his wife keep showing off their iPhones to my wife.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're goose is cooked buddy. Might as well cave in gracefully.

Is there a birthday, anniversary etc. soon that you could use as an excuse? You didn't "cave" you got a nice present.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Certification Questions/Journey | Magnetic charger caused fire »