Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   So disappointed with AT&T (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/298103-so-disappointed-t.html)

Maria255 04-19-2013 07:38 AM

So disappointed with AT&T

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T.... since July 2008. I currently have an iPhone 5. Since November AT&T has been telling me that they were extending FaceTime Over Cellular to ALL customers... even those with a grandfathered unlimited data plan. :Not-Amused: Now all of a sudden I am being told that is not true.:Not-Amused:

bobtomay 04-19-2013 08:02 AM

If you've ever had anyone tell you that Facetime would come to the grandfathered plans they didn't know what they were talking about.

Have 2 phones grandfathered - that plan does not offer that service - that plan also has to pay an extra fee for texting while it is included in the new limited plans.

The reps I have talked to here in the DFW area have been very consistent related to Facetime and if you want it, you will have to switch to a limited plan.
Sucks to be us.

MYmacROX 04-19-2013 11:59 AM

I would trade my ability to Face Time over cellular for unlimited data any day! But I guess it depends on your priorities. It's one or the other, you make the choice.

rabbitjetta 04-19-2013 09:39 PM

I am on Verizon and can FaceTime on cellular with my grandfathered unlimited plan, try calling AT&T and see what they have to say.

chas_m 04-19-2013 10:28 PM

Let's first understand that AT&T wants you to give up that grandfathered plan. Very badly. So they are not going to do ANYTHING whatsoever to make it attractive or easy to stay with your plan.

Now that that's understood ...

Ask yourself how often you really NEED to do FaceTime when there's no Wi-Fi nearby. Maybe your circumstances are different, but where I live (in a modest-sized though capital city) there's barely any need for cellular data at all! Nearly everywhere I go we have Wi-Fi; my house, friends' house, every coffeeshop and cafe, all of the downtown core, the mall, etc.

On top of that, FT burns through data like almost nothing else, so unless your plan was incredibly generous it would again be an option you'd only want to use sparingly if at all.

Only you know your situation but if there's Wi-Fi nearby where you usually are, I'd suggest sticking with the grandfathered plan and saving FaceTime for Wi-Fi only (better quality anyway, unless you'e on LTE).

bobtomay 04-20-2013 08:57 AM

Both Sprint and Verizon have allowed FaceTime to all users.

AT&T - no FaceTime, no tethering, and no texting without paying extra for the privilege to anyone that still has the unlimited plan.

Think I will go visit T-Mobile today.

Maria255 04-20-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1510621)
If you've ever had anyone tell you that Facetime would come to the grandfathered plans they didn't know what they were talking about.

Have 2 phones grandfathered - that plan does not offer that service - that plan also has to pay an extra fee for texting while it is included in the new limited plans.

The reps I have talked to here in the DFW area have been very consistent related to Facetime and if you want it, you will have to switch to a limited plan.
Sucks to be us.

I was told on at least two separate occasions ..... by two different reps.....that my grandfathered in unlimited data plan was eligible for FaceTime Over Cellular

Maria255 04-20-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbitjetta (Post 1510745)
I am on Verizon and can FaceTime on cellular with my grandfathered unlimited plan, try calling AT&T and see what they have to say.

I doubt they are going to do anything for me .... but I suppose I can give it a try. But switching to Verizon the next time I update my iPhone is starting to look better and better. It

Maria255 04-20-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1510758)
Let's first understand that AT&T wants you to give up that grandfathered plan. Very badly. So they are not going to do ANYTHING whatsoever to make it attractive or easy to stay with your plan.

Now that that's understood ...

Ask yourself how often you really NEED to do FaceTime when there's no Wi-Fi nearby. Maybe your circumstances are different, but where I live (in a modest-sized though capital city) there's barely any need for cellular data at all! Nearly everywhere I go we have Wi-Fi; my house, friends' house, every coffeeshop and cafe, all of the downtown core, the mall, etc.

On top of that, FT burns through data like almost nothing else, so unless your plan was incredibly generous it would again be an option you'd only want to use sparingly if at all.

Only you know your situation but if there's Wi-Fi nearby where you usually are, I'd suggest sticking with the grandfathered plan and saving FaceTime for Wi-Fi only (bett
er quality anyway, unless you'e on LTE).

You are probably correct .. they want me to give up my unlimited data plan. Do I REALLY need to have FaceTime Over Cellular? The answer is probably not. However, it would have been nice to be able to use it on a limited basis when I was no where near Wi-Fi.

bobtomay 04-20-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maria255 (Post 1510817)
I was told on at least two separate occasions ..... by two different reps.....that my grandfathered in unlimited data plan was eligible for FaceTime Over Cellular

Don't doubt that for a second.

I am also sure that half (or more) of the reps don't know nearly as much as they should about the devices nor the plans they're selling. Sort of like going to Best Buy and expecting their sales staff to be able to answer questions related to computers, TVs, etc. Not gonna happen.

Maria255 04-20-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1510808)
Both Sprint and Verizon have allowed FaceTime to all users.

AT&T - no FaceTime, no tethering, and no texting without paying extra for the privilege to anyone that still has the unlimited plan.

I have to seriously think about switching to Verizon the next time I update my iPhone. I think the thing that makes me so angry is that I feel I was lied to. I SPECIFICALLY kept asking if my grandfathered-in- unlimited data plan was eligible. I was told by two or three different reps that it WAS!! They should have been honest with me from the beginning.

AT&T .. might want me to switch out of my unlimited data plan. They may very well have succeeded in getting me to switch ...... to VERIZON. AT&T obviously does not appreciate my business or loyalty.

osxx 04-20-2013 10:38 AM

The bad part if you or I switch from the grandfathered plan to any of their other plans to get FT or Tethering it will cost more technically you get less way to go AT&T.

iggibar 04-20-2013 01:40 PM

Simple really. You can leave them, jailbreak, or use your plan as you ORIGINALLY agreed upon when signing your contract.

chscag 04-20-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

I'm tempted. But I keep thinking about the cost of two iPhone 5s and the monthly fees to pay for those beauties plus data for two lines. May not have any choice though... my wife's brother and his wife keep showing off their iPhones to my wife. ;P

Slydude 04-20-2013 06:00 PM

You're goose is cooked buddy. Might as well cave in gracefully.

Is there a birthday, anniversary etc. soon that you could use as an excuse? You didn't "cave" you got a nice present.