New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

So disappointed with AT&T

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Well, our anniversary isn't until this November. Not sure I can hold out that long though. I keep telling her that Apple is going to come out with the iPhone 5s soon and we should wait.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well I didn't go - after comparing the rates - the T-Mobile plan for unlimited is $120/mth for 2 phones - only $10 less than we pay AT&T. Then add on $40/mth for the 2 phones which we can get for free by extending our service another 2 years at AT&T (from the 10yrs we've already been with them) makes T-Mobile $30/mth more than AT&T. Doesn't make a lot of sense either unless I'm really going to start using FaceTime, tethering &/or texts. And it looks like you only get 500MB of tethering with the T-Mobile unlimited plan.

My personal opinion, there is no treason in the world all these providers need $100+ per month for 2 phones. They're all a big gigantic ripoff.

Am trying to hold out for next phone also - my 3GS phones are still working quite beautifully.
Would really like a better camera in mine though.

Am thinking it might be a lot cheaper to go with 2 dumb phones and get 1 iPad mini with cellular for $30/mth.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Am thinking it might be a lot cheaper to go with 2 dumb phones and get 1 iPad mini with cellular for $30/mth.
That is exactly what we are doing when my iPhone 4 contract comes up this summer. We have two Moto RAZR V3's that work extremely well as phones - go figure. Neither my wife nor I use our phones as a music box, a TV or use any mobile social media type stuff. An iPad Mini with WiFi to share for checking emails, weather, track packages, etc... (for me at work during the day, and her at night when she's at class) is all we really need. We can pull a monthly cellular fee if we go on the road or visit relatives.
We felt so relieved when we cut combined cable TV + internet back from $180 to $90 a month - $1000 saved a year. We are giddy to cut cellular in half as well and save about the same amount per year. It's like a $2000 a year raise after taxes! We hope to sell the two old iPhones for enough to buy a refurbished Mini WiFi + Cellular this summer; so no money out for a new device.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
burningstar

burningstar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid '07 MB v10.7~2.16GHz C2D~3GB 667MHz~Intel GMA 950 64MB

I personally would go with Sprint. I never owned an iPhone (Android user, would love an iPhone though) and when I had a contract with Sprint, I could do as much downloading, Hotspot, and surfing as I wanted to on cellular data, and way cheaper than Verizon (although I do like Verizon's variety of phones!)

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I haven't checked Sprint's pricing lately but the last time I did, I was not impressed. And having been a previous Sprint customer some years ago, I'm apprehensive about doing any business with them because of their poor customer support.

None of the carriers are perfect; and that goes for AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, as well as Sprint. But at least we have more competition in the US for the iPhone than before when only AT&T had it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sprint's minimum plan for 2 smartphones is $30/mth more than my current unlimited plan with AT&T or either AT&T or Verizon's current plans. It is umlimited data while tethering is a separate add-on with their plan while it's included in the other two.

QUOTE Thanks
Maria255

Maria255 is on a distinguished road

Wow ...... Just when I had resigned myself to the fact that I would either have to give up on the idea of using FaceTime over cellular or give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan, AT&T decided to change their policy. My brother sent me an e-mail on Monday, May 20th about AT&T extending FaceTime over cellular to ALL its customers including those with a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Those with the unlimited data plan would be able to access FaceTIme over cellular by the end of June. Well yesterday (May 21st), on a whim, I decided to access FaceTime over cellular and it WORKED!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria255 View Post
I doubt they are going to do anything for me .... but I suppose I can give it a try. But switching to Verizon the next time I update my iPhone is starting to look better and better. It
Before switching, try to find out the average LTE speeds of the different carriers in your area. You can install an app on your iPhone called "Speedtest", and so can your friends who have other carriers (and there's probably an Android version, too). Some carriers are faster than others.

Also, at least in my area (San Fernando Valley, just north of Los Angeles, CA), in spots where LTE isn't available, AT&T's HSPA+ network kicks in, which provides "LTE-like" speeds in many cases, and this HSPA+ is better than the other carriers in my area. This hasn't been much of an issue since about February here, since AT&T has greatly expanded LTE coverage since then, but it may be an issue where you live.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 5s 64GB / iPad 4th Gen. 64GB / iPad Mini 2 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display
QUOTE Thanks
Maria255

AT&T came through, I am now able to do FaceTime over cellular even with my grandfathered in unlimited data plan. Yay!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria255 View Post
AT&T came through, I am now able to do FaceTime over cellular even with my grandfathered in unlimited data plan. Yay!
Maybe we need to change the title of this thread to..."No longer disappointed with AT&T!"

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Bobtomay, my good old 3GS also keeps on working and working great. The camera sure is not a 4s or 5's but it's useable and better than my old 3g was!
QUOTE Thanks
Maria255

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Maybe we need to change the title of this thread to..."No longer disappointed with AT&T!"

- Nick
LOL! How true! I don't plan on using the FaceTime over Cellular all that much because most places where I go have Wi-Fi. But there are obviously some that don't. For example I do not have W-Fi in my office.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick
Not until they allow us to tether with our unlimited plans.
They let you tether with a 2GB plan, but not an unlimited plan.
Reckon that makes sense to them, but not to me.

QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Not until they allow us to tether with our unlimited plans.
They let you tether with a 2GB plan, but not an unlimited plan.
Reckon that makes sense to them, but not to me.
I never had an unlimited data plan (only been an AT&T customer since August 2010), but the 2GB tethering plan is very nice! My monthly price for it is grand-fathered to $20/month, but if I ever turn it off and then back on again, it goes up to $25. I see no reason to do that, since I use tethering with my iPad Mini (wifi) on a regular basis, and occasionally with my MacBook Pro (Starbucks' free wifi can be excruciatingly slow sometimes). Only once have I gone over the 4GB total limit, and it was an extra $10 for that portion of an extra GB.

I have 450 minutes/month (I hardly ever use my iPhone as an actual "phone" - current rollover total is 3,920 minutes), 200 texts/month (I use maybe 40), 2GB data, and 2GB tethering, all for about $97 a month. I think that's a pretty decent price.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 5s 64GB / iPad 4th Gen. 64GB / iPad Mini 2 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

After studying the plans on AT&T's website yesterday and thinking I might be able to reduce my bill with their new plans, went and visited the AT&T store and considering it may be time to upgrade both of our 3GSs.

OK, I admit it, I was wrong.

On the new plan, I would give up unlimited data on each of 2 phones to get 4GB to share between them.
For that privilege, I would pay an additional $240 a year (and we won't even talk about the additional multitude of taxes on that).
I would get unlimited texting, for which I currently pay $20-$30 per year paying per each individual text that comes in and out.
And mobile hotspot... I think the number of times I wished I could tether my computer, iPad, etc. while traveling and no wifi in our hotel/b&b/etc over the last half dozen years has been, uhm, I dunno, maybe once or twice.
So, I think not.

Fry's currently has AT&T iPhones advertised at $75 less than AT&T's price - $124 instead of $199, etc.
Asked if I bought 2 of them there instead of driving over to Fry's, would they match Fry's price for their own phones.
Was told they only match - get this - at&t dot com prices.
At this point I could only start laughing while the customers around me turned to look.

Had to ask to make sure:

"I am in an AT&T store right? And, what you're telling me is that you will match AT&T prices? So, the real answer is "No, we do not match prices."?"

Needless to say, the response to that question had the bystanders laughing now.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CAC on a Mac | Magnetic charger caused fire »