New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How many Macs WORKING NOW

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

John F

John F will become famous soon enough

I have seen threads on "How many Macs do you have?" but none on how many are working now and are they working together?

Now that I have had some more time at home lately and some extra computers no longer needed at my office, here is my setup:

iMac in bedroom - general browsing, e-mail, sound and video editing, photo library management.

15" MacBook on work table - office work, letters, managing network when noise is not allowed in the bedroom.

New MacMini - top shelf in the kitchen, no screen or keyboard runs three security cameras (Evocam - saves clips in DropBox allowing viewing from anywhere), internet radio and music fed to the network via Airfoil

Old Mac Mini in living room, also no screen or keyboard: one security camera, Scansnap, runs OCR on scans and faxes, feeds audio to wireless speakers

Older ITouch in Bose SoundDock speakers gets audio via Airfoil

Airport Express feeds audio to living room and bedroom speakers

And it all works!!!

John F
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
...and are they working together?
What do you mean by..."working together"?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
John F

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
What do you mean by..."working together"?

- Nick
Could be streaming audio/video, sharing disk drives, screen sharing - just operating in a way that makes use of other computers that are connected or networked in some way. No doubt others will be doing things that I have not thought of.

John F
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Could be streaming audio/video, sharing disk drives, screen sharing - just operating in a way that makes use of other computers that are connected or networked in some way. No doubt others will be doing things that I have not thought of.
Thanks for clarifying.

I was asking because..."How many Macs working now?"...and..."Working Together"...are not necessarily 100% compatible concepts. For someone (such as myself)...who owns a lot of Mac's...it's pretty difficult to make a 1986 Mac Plus "work together" with a 2012 Apple computer.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Right now, one. I have all of my macs either sold or torn apart. The working one is a 27 inch iMac. My retina pro just shipped last night and should be here by Monday.
QUOTE Thanks
John F

Here's something that might be useful. I have several laptops that I use from time to time and when I fire them up it takes a while for DropBox to be updated (I process a lot of photographs through DropBox). This means that it may be a while before needed files are available. However I have the Mac Minis working all the time, so their DropBoxes are always up to date. So . . . switch on the laptop, log on to the network, shut off DropBox sync, start SyncTwoFolders, share the MacMini Dropbox through the network and update the laptop DropBox at local network speed. The whole thing is done in a fraction of the time.

John F
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

We have a modest household, Mac wise: two MacBooks (mine a Pro, hers an Air), a temporarily dead Blackbook (needs new battery), an iPad, and a pair of iPhone 4s. Once our landlord finally lets us get an HDTV we'll add an Apple TV to the mix.
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

I have my Mac Pro, and the 17" my wife has her MacBook Pro and my daughter has a MacBook. While they all work together meaning files can be transfered amongst all, they are not connected.

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
John F

>> I was asking because..."How many Macs working now?"...and..."Working Together"...are not necessarily 100% compatible concepts. For someone (such as myself)...who owns a lot of Mac's...it's pretty difficult to make a 1986 Mac Plus "work together" with a 2012 Apple computer.<<

My 15" PowerPC laptop can screen share with any of the newer computers, particularly the headless Mac Minis, and of course it runs DropBox, so those are two kinds of of working together.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have 2. listed in my signature.

The Mini is my media center. overkill, but man it works nice with my iPad, iPhone and both Apple TVs. I also use it to backup my DVDs into iTunes.

My MBP is my workhorse. Other than HomeSharing for AirPlay, I dont really network them directly to each other.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

John, that is because your 15" Power PC Mac runs OSX. Nicks 1986 Mac Plus will not run OSX. OS 7.1 at most.

I have a 20" IMac late 2007, 2006 Mini upgraded to a Core2Duo with newer firmware like a 2007, a Late 2007 Macbook with Intel SantaRosa Chipset, Last PPC Mac Mini working at a server, the last iBook G4 and an old G4 DA with many upgrades running 10.5.8. All work together on my network and screen share with each other.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
My 15" PowerPC laptop can screen share with any of the newer computers, particularly the headless Mac Minis, and of course it runs DropBox, so those are two kinds of of working together.
Here are the question(s) you asked originally (6 months ago):

Quote:
"I have seen threads on "How many Macs do you have?" but none on how many are working now and are they working together?"
There are two questions here:

1. How many Mac's are working now?
2. Are they working together? Which would probably be better stated...are they "networked together"...is what I think what you're really asking.

As I mentioned above...these two questions can have differing answers. For the simple reason...many Mac models from the 1990's and before are not capable of "working together" with newer Mac's (Mac's capable of running OS X)...simply because they are too darn old & cannot run OS X.

So a person attempting to answer your two questions may say...I own 25 Macintosh computers...but only 3 of them are "working together".

Why you may ask? 22 of them may be really old Mac models from the 1980's and 1990's...and the 3 other's may be much newer models.

I'm only mentioning this since...the two questions you asked are really not necessarily related. Since a person can own many Mac's...but all of them may not be capable of "working together" if they are too old.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
PLUMMER

PLUMMER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8

Now this is an interesting thread. Networking together.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
We have a modest household, Mac wise: two MacBooks (mine a Pro, hers an Air), a temporarily dead Blackbook (needs new battery), an iPad, and a pair of iPhone 4s. Once our landlord finally lets us get an HDTV we'll add an Apple TV to the mix.
Then we're nearly destitute: a Mac Mini.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I have a 17" MBP, my wife has a 15" MBP, her business runs on a MacMini and we share an iMac (from 2008, I think.) She syncs the MacMini and her MBP so that when she's traveling she has her work files with her, and she syncs the personal email from the iMac to her MBP for personal reasons. That way, if she reads an email on her MBP, it gets marked on the iMac as read also. That syncing also syncs the outbox and sent mail so that basically the iMac and MBP personal emails are identical. We also have two iPads and two iPhones. All of them share a wireless network and can communicate with each other. In fact, when she occasionally has some strange message on the Mini, she'll call out to me in my office and I'll just remote into the Mini to see what's going on. She thinks its "magic."

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Veep Season 3 Episode 3 or 4 | Getting seriosuly snubbed by my PC friends »