New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

ebay Shipping Rant

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

This truly falls in the "anything goes" category, as it's about as far removed from being Mac specific as it gets, but . . .

As an eBay member who buys and sells, I know what it costs to ship an item. Even if I figure the price of the box, packing material, and shipment to the most distant zip code (from me) in the Continental United States, it doesn't come close to what some people have the _____ to charge for shipping. For whatever reason, this trend seems to have started semi-recently. A year or so ago, I think seeing bloated shipping costs was the exception. Now, it seems at least half of the sellers are (as an example) asking $25 to ship a 2 pound box within the US. Even more bizarre . . . they're getting it! I can't imagine why anyone would bite on an offer to save $10 on the cost of the item itself, and then spend $20 more to have it shipped. Thanks for listening. I feel a bit better now.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I agree, but for example I am selling a Windows Upgrade to Photoshop CS2 and I have no clue how much it would cost to ship it, so I set it at $10, and threw in insurance also, that should cover anywhere here in the states I believe.. again not sure, but hopefully the person buying it will count the shipping in when bidding on it so that they do get a good deal.. it's definitely ultimately up to the purchaser to know what they are paying. I completely understand what you are saying though
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

That sounds totally reasonable to me, and what you're doing is honest, even if you didn't use a shipping calculator. Those who over-charge for shipping by so much, are adding a "price cushion" for the item itself into the shipping charge. As you said, it's another example of "buyer beware", but it's frustrating because there are some potentially good buys out there, but not after you get raked over the coals for shipping. Ah well . . .
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Well being an eBay buyer and seller myself, it is very simple. If you don't like the shipping charges, then don't bid. If someone else wants to pay out the yin-yang for shipping, I say let them. Doesn't mean I have to.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Ebay rules allow you to charge for shipping costs plus a reasonable handling fee. I really don't care what they charge for shipping, so long as my total price for the item is within what I wanted to pay.
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

I frequently purchase glow sticks off eBay, usually for $0.99 for 500 glowsticks or so. Yes, $0.99.

Even with a shipping charge of somewhere between $25-30, I am still saving an EXTREMELY signifigant amount of money. Buying elsewhere would run me upwards of $100 for 500 glowsticks.

Some sellers charge a fortune for shipping, but if the total price is still a steal, then it's worth it.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

It's also a workaround for the reserve price, as it provides a way for sellers to ensure a certain price point without being charged for posting a reserve price. Also, reserve prices are unattractive to potential buyers.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

You also don't pay Ebay fees on shipping prices.
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

All good points, and yes, it's true that if the total cost is still far below the best you could do elsewhere, then it's a good deal. I'm still put off by it, but that's just me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Learn AppleScript? | Hey look my shampoo is Universal Binary! »