New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Anyone else order an Ouya?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I decided to pre-order an Ouya a month or so ago when I read that Plex (HTPC software) would be coming to it. I've gotten pretty aggravated with the Apple TV 2 for a variety of reasons, chiefly the lack of DTS support and a very "weak" UI, especially compared to Plex. I'm curious if anyone else is looking at one. They just started shipping to the Kickstarter backers and mine should come later this month (I wasn't an initial backer). It's being marketed as a console gaming platform, but that's just a bonus since I'm looking at it primarily as an ATV replacement. Basically it promises to be everything I want in a device like this... a media streamer for my living room that can play a few casual games. I last tried a Roku, but it performed so badly that I returned it. I have higher expectations of the Ouya and am really looking forward to it. I've never been interested in console gaming, and even my desktop gaming days are largely behind me. I've picked up a few indie titles recently via Humble Bundle that I really liked, and with Ouya being an indie project itself, my curiosity is really piqued in what the future may hold for it. Heck, even my wife is excited and she's not a gamer by any means, though she likes some of the competitive games she plays with her friends' kids on their consoles.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I donated for the fund when it was first available, but not enough for the console. I'm not sure if I want to be the "tester" for it this early in the stage. I'm not sure if you've been reading any reviews on it, but there seem to be a good amount of issues with it right now. I'll wait for the better version to come out later. I can't do with a slow/laggy UI and input system, sticking buttons, and poor fitting parts.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I donated for the fund when it was first available, but not enough for the console. I'm not sure if I want to be the "tester" for it this early in the stage. I'm not sure if you've been reading any reviews on it, but there seem to be a good amount of issues with it right now. I'll wait for the better version to come out later. I can't do with a slow/laggy UI and input system, sticking buttons, and poor fitting parts.
I haven't seen any reviews, but I'll check around for them. My primary interest is as a media streamer, so hopefully it'll do well enough as that. If not, I'm going to give the Mac mini another whirl as an HTPC.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I'm not sure if you've been reading any reviews on it, but there seem to be a good amount of issues with it right now. I'll wait for the better version to come out later. I can't do with a slow/laggy UI and input system, sticking buttons, and poor fitting parts.
I read some of those reviews and it seems Ouya are working to address those before retail versions are available.
OUYA promises improved responsiveness, simplified game installs for June retail launch

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

The interface isn't elegant at all, but for my needs I find the iOS APP 'FileBrowser' to work fairly well. It essentially gives you 'Finder' on any Network Drives.

I scroll through the Media files on my NAS or Shared Drives using my iPad, and use Airplay via an ATV2 to watch it.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I read some of those reviews and it seems Ouya are working to address those before retail versions are available.
OUYA promises improved responsiveness, simplified game installs for June retail launch
Yes, that's why I'm waiting. The orders already placed are technically R1 models since they have already been shipped.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
The interface isn't elegant at all, but for my needs I find the iOS APP 'FileBrowser' to work fairly well. It essentially gives you 'Finder' on any Network Drives.

I scroll through the Media files on my NAS or Shared Drives using my iPad, and use Airplay via an ATV2 to watch it.
RavingMac? Name change? Got something against Razors all of a sudden?

Handling it the way are requires at least one stream more than it would if you simply streamed from iTunes off your Mac. The way you are doing it, it streams from the network drive through the router to your iPad; back to the router; then from the router to the ATV. If your network drives are wireless, then you basically have 4 wireless transfers going at once. And if you are suggesting this as a way of getting DTS support, it actually doesn't work that way. DTS tracks are downmixed to AC3 on the fly.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Some of those early reviews are pretty discouraging. I don't really like their excuse... saying it's pre-release software and it will all get fixed. How do they know they can fix it? How do they know they will be able to adequately address lagginess and other issues? If they know it will be fixed, why do these problems exist in the first place? And how the heck are developers supposed to be preparing their games for the official release when they are working on bug-riddled software? Well anywho, my expectations are to use it as a media center. Anything else is a bonus. Even if the Ouya team flounders and can't make this work, I expect "someone" will strip their software off entirely to make it a media center running on Linux with Plex or XBMC.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Even if the Ouya team flounders and can't make this work, I expect "someone" will strip their software off entirely to make it a media center running on Linux with Plex or XBMC.
Linux support for ARM just got considerably better with the 3.7 release (late last year) and it should be able to run Ubuntu since the Nexus 7 can (both use Tegra 3s and they each have 1GB of RAM). So, I imagine that the process of doing this should be relatively trivial assuming the Ouya has an unlocked (or unlockable) bootloader.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
RavingMac? Name change? Got something against Razors all of a sudden?

Handling it the way are requires at least one stream more than it would if you simply streamed from iTunes off your Mac. The way you are doing it, it streams from the network drive through the router to your iPad; back to the router; then from the router to the ATV. If your network drives are wireless, then you basically have 4 wireless transfers going at once. And if you are suggesting this as a way of getting DTS support, it actually doesn't work that way. DTS tracks are downmixed to AC3 on the fly.
Name change was quite a while ago . . . couple of months?

I have no idea what DTS is. I just find this more convenient than using the iTunes interface to find and play movies. And, regardless of how many transfers there are, I haven't noticed any lag or loss of quality.

EDIT: name change was 9 Dec last year

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Linux support for ARM just got considerably better with the 3.7 release (late last year) and it should be able to run Ubuntu since the Nexus 7 can (both use Tegra 3s and they each have 1GB of RAM). So, I imagine that the process of doing this should be relatively trivial assuming the Ouya has an unlocked (or unlockable) bootloader.
It's supposed to be unlocked. It's being marketed on the premise that it is 100% open and hackable, including the option to overwrite their software.

Quote:
Name change was quite a while ago . . . couple of months?
Well I haven't been participating much lately.

EDIT: What does it take to approve a name change? My name is really more like a sentence and rather awkward when reading it when in the context as a name. I used it when I signed up here because it was my email address and figured "eh... that'll do".

Quote:
I have no idea what DTS is. I just find this more convenient than using the iTunes interface to find and play movies. And, regardless of how many transfers there are, I haven't noticed any lag or loss of quality.
DTS is a surround sound format with considerably more fidelity than Dolby Surround Sound (aka AC3). AC3 is 16-bit audio capped at 640 kbps while DTS is 24 bit audio at 1510 kbps. My AV system is good enough to tell the difference. More importantly, DTS tracks that are downmixed to AC3 sound poorer than a native AC3 track. I have a couple Blu-Rays with AC3 and DTS tracks, and after ripping them and downmixing the DTS to AC3 for comparison, the downmixed DTS tracks clearly are lacking some fidelity (mostly in the low frequencies) than the native AC3 track off that same disc.

As an aside... I no longer buy videos off the iTunes Store. They don't always even come with surround sound tracks, and those that do are further limited to 384 kbps AC3. It's just very disgusting to pay more for less.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I must be one of the few who is pleased with ATV. I am still running the first version (big white box you can fry an egg on) and the first version of the new one (small black puck). For watching movies placed into iTunes, podcasts, Netflix and Hulu, it works great for me. Even my 85 year old mother-in-law can use it to watch YouTube videos. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I'm not using it hard enough?

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how many years is a mac good for? (as far as getting support updates and etc) | Information being sent without permission »