Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Remote Administration Exploits - Interesting Article
    I had no idea how widespread this "hacker" community has become, but something to be aware of, particularly if you're using a Windows machine equipped with a webcam:

Meet the men who spy on women through their webcams | Ars Technica
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    If the number of videos on Youtube are any indication, it seems to pretty widespread and from what I an tell the "hackers" seem to be kids doing pranks, but as the article states it's just as easy for the "hacker" to do something a lot more malicious..

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I read that article too (I love Ars) and was amazed at the ease with which these individuals could gain access. The video attached to the article really drove home the point.

What's interesting is the ease with which this can be accomplished on a machine that isn't adequately protected. For example, in Python, you can write an XMLRPC server in ~ 10 lines of code and a client in ~ 5 lines which can easily execute something on a remote machine. This would be cross platform as well and as long as the specified XMLRPC port was open, this would be a rather trivial exercise.

I was interested in trying it myself with a Windows VM but I have a healthy fear of CSIS coming to my door if they see "how to setup a remote administration tool + ratting + hacking" in my search patterns.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information