New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

The Postal Service is now officially mad at Apple...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

The Potal Service doesn't seem to like Apple ripping off their music videos...

Quote:
01/19/06
A Note from Ben
It has recently come to our attention that Apple Computers' new television commercial for the Intel chip features a shot-for-shot recreation of our video for 'Such Great Heights' made by the same filmmakers responsible for the original. We did not approve this commercialization and are extremely disappointed with both parties that this was executed without our consultation or consent. -Ben Gibbard, The Postal Service
Apple Ad
Video by the Postal Service

This isn't the first time Apple has gotten in trouble for their ads. When the iPod with Video was introduced in December, the Luggz Shoe Company threatened legal action if Apple didn't pull their ad featuring Eminem, as the new styling of Apple's trademark silhouttes resembled an old Luggz ad.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I had not seen either one of these before, but that is too darn close.

QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
I had not seen either one of these before, but that is too darn close.
Well, the thing is, Apple is creating an ad featuring the production of processors. Well, it's kind of difficult to do that and not do what the Postal Service did, however, those videos show almost the exact same process, and from the same director.

That's the issue.

QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

If there isn't a massive rise in the sales of The Postal Service's Records I'd be surprised. I'd never heard of them before but now i'm gonna hop off to itunes and see what i can pick up.

All publicity is good publicity

But if someone is to 'blame' then i'd go with the director for re-using his old idea and not having the integrity to be original (and yes there probably is alot of info i'm not aware of)
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

This Ben guy says that he is very disappointed with Apple and the director, but is the band going to sue or what? But ironically this thread caused me to go buy the Postal Service's song so this might actually be good for the band.

QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines
This Ben guy says that he is very disappointed with Apple and the director, but is the band going to sue or what? But ironically this thread caused me to go buy the Postal Service's song so this might actually be good for the band.
I was dissapointed in Apple after hearing about this. The Postal Service is an awesome band, and it pisses me off that they would rip it off like that.

QUOTE Thanks
praterkeith@gma

There will most likely be an agreement made between Apple and the band. The Postal Service went through a similar ordeal with their name with the US Postal Service. It got worked out and more than likely if anything happens it will be toward the directors I would think. Ben Gibbard is an amazing musician and this sucks. But he seems like a very understanding guy.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

That is such a load of crap. The intel guys in the clean suits have been used since the very first pentium. If the guy is mad about the scene in the hall then he should really just grow up

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig.gentry
If there isn't a massive rise in the sales of The Postal Service's Records I'd be surprised. I'd never heard of them before but now i'm gonna hop off to itunes and see what i can pick up.

All publicity is good publicity

But if someone is to 'blame' then i'd go with the director for re-using his old idea and not having the integrity to be original (and yes there probably is alot of info i'm not aware of)
Yeah, they're getting free publicity on all major blogs/podcasts/news sites etc., people are watching a video that would have died in relative obscurity otherwise, and tons of people are getting interested in them.

It is a really weird move by Apple, but I'm guessing the director downplayed the similarities somewhat, they loved the commercial and decided to run it anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
t1rider321

actually the postal service is well known, ever hear of death cab for cutie? ben sings in both of them. the postal service was a side project for ben
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Oh, Postal Service is a BAND... I was trying to figure out what the heck silicon clean rooms had to do with the U.S. Mail!

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhelmet
Oh, Postal Service is a BAND... I was trying to figure out what the heck silicon clean rooms had to do with the U.S. Mail!

HAHA same here.

QUOTE Thanks
Mahone

Mahone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" G4 1.2 GHz iBook 768mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines
HAHA same here.
Not quite sure where you guys have been the last 3 years. :black: :headphone
Look at the number one spot on Last.fm!
http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/...es/001773.html
http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev.../give-up.shtml
http://www.villagevoice.com/music/03...,45215,22.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postal_Service
http://www.yuccacentric.com/music/li...ums/index.html
http://www.noripcord.com/features/2003/2003_5.html
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Postal+Service
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahone
Not quite sure where you guys have been the last 3 years. :black: :headphone
<snip>
It's easy to say that, but at the same time I have friends who don't even know who Nirvana is.

Now granted, as much as I like the Postal Service, comparing them to Nirvana (at least in popularity) is a stretch, but you get my point.

The thing is, even if a band is HUGE, there are some people who really haven't heard of them.

QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

That song is about a year old, and Im not too sure what the song itself has to do with people working in a silicon waffer processing plant. I mean, I understand that there is some connection or desire between the male and female worker, but that could be shown in any line of work. If anyone is to blame, it is the director for having no original ideas. As others have said, any publicity is good publicity, and many people are finding out about this band...whoever said that this guy "Ben" is an amazing musician, well, I respect your opinion, but a drum machine and a few simple synthized effects and some moderately clever lyrics do not consitute "genius" in my book.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Faith? | Grammies »